1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

From standard kit zoom to 14mm f2.5, 25mm f1.8 and 40-150mm lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Vytautas, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Vytautas

Vytautas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2013
    Is it a good idea to sell 14-42mm IIR kit lens and migrate to 3 lens setup? I want to decide between selling a 14-42mm kit or 14mm f2.5 prime. The price difference between those two lenses is small so does not help to decide.

I am new to photography and have checked all my pictures done with a kit zoom lens from a couple of months. At home they are mostly 25mm (natural angle of view). During the travels - 14mm (to have more view in a one frame) and 42mm (for zooming). How could my preferences change (your have changed) with more practice? It seems that 12-40mm f2.8 Olympus zoom could be a perfect all in one solution but for me it is expensive. I remember that I really missed a wider angle of view sometimes too...

Now I am thinking how complicated it is to live with three lenses setup:
    1) Panasonic 14 2.5,
    2) new Olympus 25 1.8,
    3) Olympus 40-150.

Swapping regularly 14 2.5 and 40-150 theoretically does not seems to be a very nice thing during the traveling.

In addition to Pana 14, 14-42 kit and 40-140 Oly's I have Hexanon 50mm f1,7, Jupiter 8; 135mm Hexanon f3,2 and Canon FD f3,5 manual lenses.

Thank you for good comments in advance!

2. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Considered the new compact 12- or 14-4_ panasonic and olympus zooms? Not the f/2.8 versions, the compact versions that sell for $350ish new.

Also, I would try taping your kit zoom with some non-residue tape to one setting and try it out for awhile to see if you like using a prime. Takes some getting used to, but the rewards are myriad.

3. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I guess I'm in your situation as well -- my 3 lens setup for travel stuff. I want to travel light and on my feet for hours, so I appreciate as light a gear I can get away with plus maintaining best optical and sensor performance!

1, Coolpix A (28mm FOV @ f/2.8) or 14mm in m43 format (this is basically a compact camera like a GR that has one insane super sharp glass and nice OOC JPEG)
    2, Leica DG 25mm f/1.4 (50mm FOV)
    3, Oly 40-150r (for ocassional telephoto and now am told you can slap on a 3x closeup lens and turn it into a macro lens with longer reach)

I find all these 3 lens setup to be perfectly adequate for my travel and hiking excursions with super optical qualities. Since I have 2 cameras, one a compact and my E-PL1, I rarely swap my lens. What I do is I use my Coolpix A for all the wide end shots and then would crop to get a 40mm FOV ( like a 20mm Panasonic pancake lens) which the A can because it's has a larger APS-C sensor. So with my A, I get 28mm FOV and PP crop 40mm FOV and then flanked with my E-PL1 and the 40-150r which pretty much covers all of my shooting needs in a 3 lens setup.

I would not recommend getting the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 for several reasons other than shallower DOF and brighter lens compared to the 14mm f/3.5 of your kit lens. @ 14mm f/3.5, your kit lens is plenty sharp and pretty close to the prime Panasonic 14mm in terms of performance, so the only hinderance is about half a stop slower. In fact, before I took possession of my Coolpix A, I made the 14-42kit lens as my 14mm f/3.5 prime lens, but I have to ocassionally swap out to my Leica DG 25mm to get the 50mm FOV. DXO Optics Pro can correct some optics issues with the 14-42 kit and make it shine. Definitely get the 25mm 1.8 lens from Oly, because great for low light. You'll be using that most anyhow. I say keep the 14-42 kit lens and make it your 14mm prime lens albeit @f/3.5. Depending on which body you have, f/3.5 is all you need.

The problem with the Panasonic 14 f/2.5 is that the corners are somewhat soft and you need to stop it down to f/4 or f/5.6 to both cure corner sharpness plus reducing those lateral and longitudenal abberations that it makes it less appealing replacement to an already good 14-42 kit lens @ 14mm.

4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Your post was a little unclear - you already have both the 14 and 14-42 and are trying to decide which to sell?

I would say if you don't need the smaller size or bit of extra light-gathering of the 14mm pancake, it would be the one to sell. Keep the flexibility of having the kit zoom when walking around and not needing to change lenses. Add the 25/1.8 for a better low-light option and hopefully better overall performance.

5. Vytautas

Vytautas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2013
    I had Olympus native zooms - standard 14-42 IIR and 40-150 and bought a cheap and new GF3 with a 14mm f2.5 for sale. I really don't like protruding 14-42 zoom when shooting and especially when walking. So I am considering keeping 14mm f2.5 because it is small, brighter and good for videos. I know that its design is not perfect - vignetting, barrel distortion and it is 14 not 12 mm... Is SHARPNESS much more important for 14mm lens than brightness?

New Panasonic 12-32 zoom has 24mm FOV but it is a bit less bright, less quick AF on Olympus than 14-42 IIR and has a shorter focal length so I would loose 84mm FOV which I frequently use now. With 12-32 I would end with another 3 lens solution:
    1) 12-32,
    2) 25 1.8,
    3) 40-150.

It is obvious that Oly 25 mm f1.8 will be a nice addition. But selling a 14-42, keeping 14mm, buying 12-32 seems a more complicated decisions. Despite I am on a tough budget maybe the easiest solution it is to get a cheap m43 body like PL2 (for 40-150 and manual lenses) in addition to PM1 I have.

6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    It sounds like you prefer (really prefer) not to have to switch lenses. Have you considered (selling everything and) buying a 14-140 or 14-150? They'll have largely the same image quality as your current zooms, and could easily serve as an all-in-one travel lens.

Then add the 25mm and be done with it.

7. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    ON my first trip with my camera, all I had was the 14mm and a 45-200 Panasonic. It was enough for most uses (though I know a lot more now than I knew then!).

8. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    it's going to be a tough one to sell the 14-42kit lens just because there are so so many of them on the market. I know in my area that people are dumping BNIB 14-42 and 40-150r for $150. So you're not going to get much really and may take a long time to move.

If you're on a tight budget, I would recommend just getting a second used body like an E-PL1 or E-PL2 and then get the 25mm f/1.8 when it comes out. The reason is that even a used 14mm f/2.5 isn't cheap, so wouldn't you rather put your money towards the 25mm f/1.8 instead and then a second cheap body to carry your 40-150r?

9. Vytautas

Vytautas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2013
    I checked my pictures and it seems to be right. In case of emergency I could use 28mm f2.8 legacy Industar 69.

Do you think that after some time I could get more for the kit lens? In seems that all these new standard zoom pancakes will lower price for 14-42kit even further.

10. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I think the new zoom pancake lens standard come only with the E-M10 kit, so existing 14-42 kit lenses would probably retain somewhat of the same value. The thing is, Olympus sells bodies with this kit lens, so there are plenty of them in the market today and it's only for people who wants a used replacement because they like their original (have filters and hood for them) and don't mind staying the same that will buy yours if they somehow break it. You can certainly craiglist it and see how's the response.

11. bumblebee

bumblebee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    I posted my 14-42 kit lens on Craigslist recently and there were plenty of people willing to buy it at $100. Plenty enough, in fact, that I've wondered if I should raise the price. If I want the same lens in the future I will shell out a little bit extra for the new pancake version, preferably at a time when there are also people unloading them from their kits.

My 3-lens setup will consist of a PL25, Oly 40-150 II R, and the Oly 9-18 (currently saving up for this one and hoping to score a used one in good condition). I really considered keeping the 14-42 but I wanted a lens capable of wider angles and also didn't want any overlap in my collection.

12. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    $100 is the going price for that lens and really depends region by region. If you have takers, why not sell it quick? Where I live, some people and a store I frequent to even priced it at $99 and they are not moving. Once you have an Oly 9-18, you will not want to get the 14-42, because you have the 25 and the 40-150 already.

13. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I love primes because they have better image quality and/or faster max. aperture than zooms — but, frankly speaking, I simply hate changing lenses. When I used a 2-lens setup (14mm and 45mm), I used 2 bodies to avoid it. When my second body was stolen, I took 95% of my shots with 14mm lens because I was too lazy to switch between the lenses on the go.

14. bumblebee

bumblebee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    Yeah I've agreed to sell my 14-42 tomorrow and have a few people lined up in case that falls through. Really looking forward to having the 9-18.

But to echo what someone else said before, changing lenses can be a hassle. I keep the PL25 on my camera and I expect when travelling the 9-18 will be glued to my camera too out of sheer laziness :)

OP, if you want a prime lens for the speed and quality, it's nice to have just one and a zoom to cover other focal lengths. At least that's what I know will work for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Here are a few options:

1. Buy a Panasonic 14-45 or 14-42 (must be version 2). You might might not believe me but I am also unhappy with the Oly 14-42 so I looked for replacements and have found that the above two lenses are both sharper throughout the range. The 14-42 can be had new for $130 and the 14-45 used for $150. I personally would take the 14-42 because of it's smaller size, but the 14-45 has better build quality as well as being a tad bit faster in the middle of the zoom. I still might buy the 14-42 II in silver some day because it looks/feels like the 45, but for now I'm holding off because I found the excellent 12-32 for $280 new.

2. Oly 25/1.8 only. All signs point to this being sharp. I don't think I will buy this lens, but I do have a 28/2 and a 30/2.8 that I use. When I first got the 30 it didn't leave the camera for a good month! The FL is good for nearly everything. And the 25 will probably be a bit more versatile because it's a bit wider. Now, if you have the money, the 20/1.7 and 25/1.4 would also be great choices!

16. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I would also recomend having one zoom and one prime for traveling. I have 12-50 coupled with OM-D and it is a perfect combo for street/landscape shooting when I travel (it is also a wathersealed combo which is very important for me). I keep 17mm 1.8 for indoors or environmental portraits. Though since 25mm 1.8 have been released I think I will buy it and use it instead of 17mm.

17. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    These days with the E-PM2 being in the affordable ranges since the introduction of the E-M10, you can actually afford to carry 2 bodies and not feel the weight. I carry 2 bodies, the Coolpix A stuck with a 28mm lens and my E-PL1 which is glued on to my PL25. But for most people, you can certainly carry a E-PM2 because it is just as small and light as a compact camera anyhow plus has the imaging unit of the E-M5!

18. Vytautas

Vytautas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2013
    I have posted my 14-42mm IIR in a local market website looking for customers. For the moment I will play more with 14-42mm IIR and 14mm f2.5 to decide which one to keep. Because I can't get Olympus 25mm f1.8 now I will buy Fujian 35mm f1.7 cctv lens and start looking for a second Oly body. If I will find Sigma 30mm f2.8 for cheap - I will go for it.

Most probable I will end with a such poor man semi-primes setup for this year:
    1) Panasonic 14 2.5,
    2) Fujian 35 1.7,
    3) Olympus 40-150.

If I will miss a standard zoom after selling I could always go back. I just really dislike a feel of Olympus 14-42IIR. If a new Panasonic 14-42 II had OIS switch it would be an easy option in place of Olympus, especially for video.

19. Tuff

Tuff Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2013
    London
    You should really consider a 14-140 or 14-150 zoom if you're not into switching lenses. I recently did a lot of travel with the 14/2.5 and 40-150. Both lenses performed great, but changing between them was annoying, especially considering that in many situations it's nice to get both a wide picture and one that focuses on one small thing.

20. Vytautas

Vytautas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2013
    It is cheaper to buy a small second camera body like pm1.