From planning to posting online, a bit of my workflow - and pictures of course!

hias

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Hias
Hi!

As I'm always curious about other people's workflow, I thought I'd dump mine here. From planning over shooting and editing to posting online.
I don't post much anywhere on the interwebs, but after my bunny thread ( here ) from last year (ahem), I thought it might be cool to show you what I usually do.
Plus, I always loved those more detailed posts about shootings and stuff.

So, here we go...

Due to very, very miserable weather over the last few days, for this time it was just 'Damn, I have to get out!' My back was already hurting because of all the excessive couching. So hiking was a must.
I did not expect any crazy sunrise shots or something (weather was really miserable), so, maybe some nice forests with a stream or something might be cool.

Ok, where to? The Bavarian Forest Nationalpark is just one and a half hour drive from my house and one of my go to places. Also this time.
I had selected the Falkenstein's peak as destination. I haven't been on this one before, and I've been curious about it for quite some time.

Checking routes:
OpenStreetMap!
Pretty handy, even forestry trails are indicated. Found my parking spot (Weisse Bruecke) there.
For mobile use, I can recommend OSMAnd+. Very powerful, with offline maps. Works great when off the grid.

I usually also check Google images for the area, but not this time. My focus was on 'getting the hell out, we'll see'.

Besides that, I don't have any specific websites for hiking in Germany. I either just leave my car somewhere and run off, or just check Google for a trail.
This time, it was more or less this route:
Screenshot_20191227_215006.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice stream with small waterfalls, beautiful forest and some spectacular rocks when going upwards, stress free walk back to the car.

Route settled, good. Checking weather conditions and everything around that:

Well, https://www.wetter.com/ or similar of course.
SkippySky, damn handy when it comes to predicting a nice sunrise, check google for tutorials.
Windy, pretty cool service, can do the same as SkippySky and much more.
Mountain weather, in Germany, DAV: https://www.alpenverein.de/DAV-Services/Bergwetter/Bayerischer-Wald/#2019-12-27|weatherLayer
Unfortunately the Grosser Falkenstein isn't listed, so I selected Grosser Arber, the mountain nearby: https://www.alpenverein.de/DAV-Services/Bergwetter/Bayerischer-Wald/Grosser-Arber/
It's winter, check for snow (also German, and the Arber): https://www.schneehoehen.de/skigebiete/info/grosser-arber
More snowinfo on Arber's website: https://www.arber.de/aktuell/schneebericht.html
Sometimes, when it's not too late already, one can also call some tourist info service. They usually know what's going on, especially when I'm not sure if some road will be closed or not.
A very nice lady once even helped me putting a route together to be on spot for sunrise (there was a road closing) :)

Ok, less rain than the days before, nice. Maybe some snowfall.
-4 to -2C on the mountain, not too much clothes needed.
Cloudy, as I thought.
Fog!!!! Very nice.
20cm snow on top of the mountains, so no crampons, snowshoes or iceaxe needed - more about that later.
And ice free roads.

Checking for sunrise: http://suncalc.net/#/49.0808,13.2721,13/2017.01.19/17:11
I didn't expect a nice sunrise, but I always go out pretty early to enjoy the silence and my beloved solitude.
Sunrise at about 08:00, dawn at about 07:20. Let's start at 05:30.

Packing gear, pretty straight forward. EM5II, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8 + TC, 60/2.8, Firecrest ND's 3,6,10 stop, B+W polarizer, FLM CP30L3 Pro tripod with CB38FT head, 3LT 360 clamp and L bracket. EM10 as backup.
Backpack: Fjallraven Abisko Friluft 45 with an F-Stop insert, one comfy thing.
Besides that, usual hiking gear, as said before no winter gear like crampons needed that day - I'll come to that later, for sure.
If you are interested in details about my hiking stuff, let me know.

Ok, to set that straight, I did not plan to post something like this, so not much footage or something.
Most images will never again see the light of day. And are not internetworthy. And are not an expression of my capabilities.
I thought it might be interesting to also see some images one usually won't post.

20191226-ZC260004.JPG

First shot that day, sugarcoated :). About half an hour from the parking lot, nothing spectacular, and missing something here. Spot saved for autumn next year.

20191226-ZC260007.JPG

Next, too much chaos, not much of a keeper. But maybe it's a pretty nice spot in summer or autumn. I should keep that in mind. On a sidenote, it was very wet, very uncomfy, very muddy and very slippery. I love that.

20191226-ZC260010.JPG

There we have our first keeper! I almost walked past it. And wavered a lot if I should climb down there or not. It was worth it.

20191226-ZC260012.JPG

Took the image before I figured I don't like the composition. I'm gonna delete that, but mostly because...

20191226_090503.jpg

...this happened there.

20191226-ZC260014.JPG

More waterfall. Also more a 'maaaayyyyybeeee it's something' shot. Plus, saved for autumn.

20191226-ZC260018.JPG

I told you... And snowinfo told me... No crampons or snowshoes are needed... Well, bullshit 20cm. Here we easily have 50cm snow. And my snowshoes are in my car. Of course. Until this point crampons would also have been nice. Was almost dangerous without em. Well, well.

20191226-ZC260020.JPG

As said before... fog...

20191226-ZC260023.JPG

...and here's the 2nd keeper. I usually don't do that, but maybe I should replace the background with the background of the image before. Shot about a minute apart. Then it was just white. And it stayed white. What do you guys think?

20191226-ZC260025.JPG

Reached the peak. Was tough, because of '20cm' snow. The mountain pictured here is the Grosser Arber. Some skiing already going on over there. And they're slowly but steadily building a damn village up there.
Weird German habit of building stuff on top of mountains. So that granny can have a nice cup of tea after her morning 'climb'. The Falkenstein also has a restaurant on it's peak I figured out that day. Just like Kleiner Arber, or Rachel, or some other random mountain.
I seriously don't like it.
The fog and clouds down in the valley were amazing btw. Unfortunately no composition i liked , or free view for a panorama.
I took a few phone shots of "winterwonderland" for my wife, here's one:
20191226_105552.jpg

20191226-ZC260028.JPG

Took some close ups on the walk down. Really like this one. Think that one get's the 5 star too.

And went back home.
Was a tough but very nice day. Gonna edit images tomorrow.

Next step. Put on some music, get a beer, and back to the computer.

Screenshot_20191227_204921.png

Creating the folderstructure for that day and copying files. There's one HighRes shot in it, I removed the JPG and ORI. Don't need it.
There's also a second structure named the same, but in another parent folder for JPG exports.
All images are saved on a Synology NAS and backed up into Amazon Cloud.
As soon as the backup job is running I put the SD Card unformated back into my bag. I will format it when I put it into a camera.

I'm on linux and using Lightroom, Photoshop and Affinity Photo for editing my photos. So I have to work in a Windows VM. Stuff will not even work with Wine (or I'm too dumb to make it work).
Though it runs pretty well in a VM.
I'm not using alternatives, because the Adobe cloud services are just too convenient to drop. You'll see.

SCREENSHOT3.PNG

Images imported - network drive is available on host and guest system - rated, marked for deletion. Few already edited. I use more detailed rating systems just for bigger amounts of images.
1-Star - stays on drive, 2-Star - there's some stitching to do/stitched image, 3-Star - ???, 4-Star - edited, 5-Star - internetworthy/printable stuff. Flagged - get's edited.

SCREENSHOT4.PNG

I just pick that first keeper for some detail. Here is a before and after. Actually not too much to do here.
Besides what you can see, there's some dodge and burn on the foreground and waterfall, and a graduated filter (bit more exposure, higher blacks, less clarity, less dehaze) in the top part of the image.
Also a bit sharpening and vignetting.

Good, editing done. Images exported. Now the part where the Adobe Cloud services come into play.
I have collections in LR.
SCREENSHOT5.PNG

I basically dump images I want on my website into the corresponding collection, and refresh said collection in Adobe Portfolio on my website.
Images online!
Screenshot_20191228_001914.png

Now when I change something in an image in lightroom, I just have to refresh the collection in Portfolio and the changes are online. Pretty convenient if you ask me.
Screenshot_20191228_002031.png

I also use it to edit images in LR CC on a tablet, or phone, while the edits are synced across all devices, even back into LR Classic. One just needs SmartPreviews of the images and dump them into a synced collection.
Tablet, garden, beer, perfect!

If you check my website, bear in mind that it's a work in progress, lot's of images will get removed/replaced in the next few weeks.
Unfortunately I didn't have too much time for my photostuff recently :/

Ok, that's pretty much it. If you have anything I should add to this post, please let me know. Sometimes I forget to mention some details I take for granted.

Any questions? How do you like my 3 keepers? Constructive criticism is always welcome!

aukirk

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for sharing! Great photos. I really enjoy reading stories like this about the process of how photographers make great photos.

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi!

As I'm always curious about other people's workflow, I thought I'd dump mine here. From planning over shooting and editing to posting online.
I don't post much anywhere on the interwebs, but after my bunny thread ( here ) from last year (ahem), I thought it might be cool to show you what I usually do.
Plus, I always loved those more detailed posts about shootings and stuff.

So, here we go...

Due to very, very miserable weather over the last few days, for this time it was just 'Damn, I have to get out!' My back was already hurting because of all the excessive couching. So hiking was a must.
I did not expect any crazy sunrise shots or something (weather was really miserable), so, maybe some nice forests with a stream or something might be cool.

Ok, where to? The Bavarian Forest Nationalpark is just one and a half hour drive from my house and one of my go to places. Also this time.
I had selected the Falkenstein's peak as destination. I haven't been on this one before, and I've been curious about it for quite some time.

Checking routes:
OpenStreetMap!
Pretty handy, even forestry trails are indicated. Found my parking spot (Weisse Bruecke) there.
For mobile use, I can recommend OSMAnd+. Very powerful, with offline maps. Works great when off the grid.

I usually also check Google images for the area, but not this time. My focus was on 'getting the hell out, we'll see'.

Besides that, I don't have any specific websites for hiking in Germany. I either just leave my car somewhere and run off, or just check Google for a trail.
This time, it was more or less this route:
View attachment 793036

Nice stream with small waterfalls, beautiful forest and some spectacular rocks when going upwards, stress free walk back to the car.

Route settled, good. Checking weather conditions and everything around that:

Well, https://www.wetter.com/ or similar of course.
SkippySky, damn handy when it comes to predicting a nice sunrise, check google for tutorials.
Windy, pretty cool service, can do the same as SkippySky and much more.
Mountain weather, in Germany, DAV: https://www.alpenverein.de/DAV-Services/Bergwetter/Bayerischer-Wald/#2019-12-27|weatherLayer
Unfortunately the Grosser Falkenstein isn't listed, so I selected Grosser Arber, the mountain nearby: https://www.alpenverein.de/DAV-Services/Bergwetter/Bayerischer-Wald/Grosser-Arber/
It's winter, check for snow (also German, and the Arber): https://www.schneehoehen.de/skigebiete/info/grosser-arber
More snowinfo on Arber's website: https://www.arber.de/aktuell/schneebericht.html
Sometimes, when it's not too late already, one can also call some tourist info service. They usually know what's going on, especially when I'm not sure if some road will be closed or not.
A very nice lady once even helped me putting a route together to be on spot for sunrise (there was a road closing) :)

Ok, less rain than the days before, nice. Maybe some snowfall.
-4 to -2C on the mountain, not too much clothes needed.
Cloudy, as I thought.
Fog!!!! Very nice.
20cm snow on top of the mountains, so no crampons, snowshoes or iceaxe needed - more about that later.
And ice free roads.

Checking for sunrise: http://suncalc.net/#/49.0808,13.2721,13/2017.01.19/17:11
I didn't expect a nice sunrise, but I always go out pretty early to enjoy the silence and my beloved solitude.
Sunrise at about 08:00, dawn at about 07:20. Let's start at 05:30.

Packing gear, pretty straight forward. EM5II, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8 + TC, 60/2.8, Firecrest ND's 3,6,10 stop, B+W polarizer, FLM CP30L3 Pro tripod with CB38FT head, 3LT 360 clamp and L bracket. EM10 as backup.
Backpack: Fjallraven Abisko Friluft 45 with an F-Stop insert, one comfy thing.
Besides that, usual hiking gear, as said before no winter gear like crampons needed that day - I'll come to that later, for sure.
If you are interested in details about my hiking stuff, let me know.

Ok, to set that straight, I did not plan to post something like this, so not much footage or something.
Most images will never again see the light of day. And are not internetworthy. And are not an expression of my capabilities.
I thought it might be interesting to also see some images one usually won't post.

View attachment 793044
First shot that day, sugarcoated :). About half an hour from the parking lot, nothing spectacular, and missing something here. Spot saved for autumn next year.

View attachment 793045
Next, too much chaos, not much of a keeper. But maybe it's a pretty nice spot in summer or autumn. I should keep that in mind. On a sidenote, it was very wet, very uncomfy, very muddy and very slippery. I love that.

View attachment 793046
There we have our first keeper! I almost walked past it. And wavered a lot if I should climb down there or not. It was worth it.

View attachment 793047
Took the image before I figured I don't like the composition. I'm gonna delete that, but mostly because...

View attachment 793055
...this happened there.

View attachment 793048
More waterfall. Also more a 'maaaayyyyybeeee it's something' shot. Plus, saved for autumn.

View attachment 793049
I told you... And snowinfo told me... No crampons or snowshoes are needed... Well, bullshit 20cm. Here we easily have 50cm snow. And my snowshoes are in my car. Of course. Until this point crampons would also have been nice. Was almost dangerous without em. Well, well.

View attachment 793050
As said before... fog...

View attachment 793051
...and here's the 2nd keeper. I usually don't do that, but maybe I should replace the background with the background of the image before. Shot about a minute apart. Then it was just white. And it stayed white. What do you guys think?

View attachment 793052
Reached the peak. Was tough, because of '20cm' snow. The mountain pictured here is the Grosser Arber. Some skiing already going on over there. And they're slowly but steadily building a damn village up there.
Weird German habit of building stuff on top of mountains. So that granny can have a nice cup of tea after her morning 'climb'. The Falkenstein also has a restaurant on it's peak I figured out that day. Just like Kleiner Arber, or Rachel, or some other random mountain.
I seriously don't like it.
The fog and clouds down in the valley were amazing btw. Unfortunately no composition i liked , or free view for a panorama.
I took a few phone shots of "winterwonderland" for my wife, here's one:
View attachment 793056

View attachment 793053

Took some close ups on the walk down. Really like this one. Think that one get's the 5 star too.

And went back home.
Was a tough but very nice day. Gonna edit images tomorrow.

Next step. Put on some music, get a beer, and back to the computer.

View attachment 793035
Creating the folderstructure for that day and copying files. There's one HighRes shot in it, I removed the JPG and ORI. Don't need it.
There's also a second structure named the same, but in another parent folder for JPG exports.
All images are saved on a Synology NAS and backed up into Amazon Cloud.
As soon as the backup job is running I put the SD Card unformated back into my bag. I will format it when I put it into a camera.

I'm on linux and using Lightroom, Photoshop and Affinity Photo for editing my photos. So I have to work in a Windows VM. Stuff will not even work with Wine (or I'm too dumb to make it work).
Though it runs pretty well in a VM.
I'm not using alternatives, because the Adobe cloud services are just too convenient to drop. You'll see.

View attachment 793039
Images imported - network drive is available on host and guest system - rated, marked for deletion. Few already edited. I use more detailed rating systems just for bigger amounts of images.
1-Star - stays on drive, 2-Star - there's some stitching to do/stitched image, 3-Star - ???, 4-Star - edited, 5-Star - internetworthy/printable stuff. Flagged - get's edited.

View attachment 793040
I just pick that first keeper for some detail. Here is a before and after. Actually not too much to do here.
Besides what you can see, there's some dodge and burn on the foreground and waterfall, and a graduated filter (bit more exposure, higher blacks, less clarity, less dehaze) in the top part of the image.
Also a bit sharpening and vignetting.

Good, editing done. Images exported. Now the part where the Adobe Cloud services come into play.
I have collections in LR.
View attachment 793041
I basically dump images I want on my website into the corresponding collection, and refresh said collection in Adobe Portfolio on my website.
Images online!
View attachment 793037
Now when I change something in an image in lightroom, I just have to refresh the collection in Portfolio and the changes are online. Pretty convenient if you ask me.
View attachment 793038

I also use it to edit images in LR CC on a tablet, or phone, while the edits are synced across all devices, even back into LR Classic. One just needs SmartPreviews of the images and dump them into a synced collection.
Tablet, garden, beer, perfect!

If you check my website, bear in mind that it's a work in progress, lot's of images will get removed/replaced in the next few weeks.
Unfortunately I didn't have too much time for my photostuff recently :/

Ok, that's pretty much it. If you have anything I should add to this post, please let me know. Sometimes I forget to mention some details I take for granted.

Any questions? How do you like my 3 keepers? Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Thanks for the insight. I just wish I had a keeper every dozen photos. Maybe if I apply some of your planning to my shoots, I will.

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
Nice photographs! A lot of small information useful for beginners like me. It's the small details that can help with one's own photography, to compare methods. There aren't too many information packages like these for m43, or is there? Not sure how to find them. Of course much of the stuff is similar for any system, but always great to read about the same system. I wonder how long walk was is? Thanks!

hias

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Hias
Thanks for the insight. I just wish I had a keeper every dozen photos. Maybe if I apply some of your planning to my shoots, I will.
Well planning helps a lot. Though, sometimes it just won't work out. I remember one time, everything seemed perfect. Nice sunrise, some clouds which made for a pretty interesting sky, colourful trees, a bit of fog rising from the lake. But the wind ruined it. Too much motion in the trees, and the fog was immediately blown away. 25km hike, over 2500 metres in altitude, no image. I couldn't even find a plan B, some macro shots or something like that. Plus, I used the F-Stop Ajna back then, it was so uncomfy, my back was hurting so much on the way back to my car, I almost threw that thing into the forest. This bag just isn't made for me.

Waterfalls (especially in forests) on the other hand are almost always a sure thing. Pick a grey boring day, like every second day throughout the year, and off you go. Fog, autumn foliage, snow and everything else is just a bonus.

hias

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Hias
I wonder how long walk was is?
About 6 to 7 hours, shooting and looking for compositions included. I think in good conditions one can walk this route in 3 1/2 hours or something. But snow, and of course photography slowed it down.

Great write up thanks.
Beautiful landscape. And beautiful photos.

Interesting view on choice of sky.
Personally I'd leave that as is.
I'm not a purist but love my bushwalks (what you've done here in my lingo) and love seeing the variances in what nature throws at us.
Just my 2 bobs worth from DownUnder

Real Name
Roel
Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes! Really appreciate, fun to read and interesting to see you workflow. Mostly resembles mine btw. although right now I tend to start on my iPad with culling and editing photos (with Lightroom CC on my laptop just used for finishing edits if needed).

Also thumbs up for sharing your experience regarding your before-the-trip-preparation but still encountering a different situation at the location. Luckily all went well!

I do like the images you shared, well done! I definitely like the somewhat muted green/brown color palet. If I may be so frank I have one recommendation regarding image 1. Maybe a vertical orientation/crop would increase how the image guides the eye.

p.s. I can recommend the app Clear Outside which contains a lot of information about cloud intensity (low / mid / high) and is a good addition to the regular weather apps.

Last edited:

hias

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Hias
Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes! Really appreciate, fun to read and interesting to see you workflow. Mostly resembles mine btw. although right now I tend to start on my iPad with culling and editing photos (with Lightroom CC on my laptop just used for finishing edits if needed).

Also thumbs up for sharing your experience regarding your before-the-trip-preparation but still encountering a different situation at the location. Luckily all went well!

I do like the images you shared, well done! I definitely like the somewhat muted green/brown color palet. If I may be so frank I have one recommendation regarding image 1. Maybe a vertical orientation/crop would increase how the image guides the eye.

View attachment 797076

p.s. I can recommend the app Clear Outside which contains a lot of information about cloud intensity (low / mid / high) and is a good addition to the regular weather apps.
Thank you for your comment. Yes, I experimented with different crops with this image, it's not bad, but didn't carry me away. Though, I will keep that in mind when revisiting this location in summer or autumn.

Clear Outside looks interesting, I've added it to my list. For propper sky prediction I still need a map overlay, but for a quick check up in the morning, or in addition to windy or skippysky it may come in handy.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom