From OM-D E-M5 to GH3 - what to think about (settings etc)?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ramirez, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    As I ordered Panasonic GH3 today (with 200€ cash back offering) for my hybrid photography needs - what do I need to think about?

Those of you who uses both an Olympus m4/3 camera and a GH3 - how do you setup your GH3?
    The primary area for my GH3 will be video work but I'll use it as a second (or first) body to the E-M5 for photography as well (dual m4/3 camera setup when out and about).

How do you (who also uses Oly) setup your GH3? JPG settings, tweakings etc.

Help me to prepare for my coming new camera :smile:
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    IBIS. That's what I'd be thinking about. You'll need to be aware of it as none of your lenses are stabilised.

3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Yep. I knew about the lack of IBIS. When shooting video I'll do it mainly on tripod.
    And when taking photos; higher shutterspeeds and wider lenses on the GH3 and the longer ones on E-M5. This I thought of.

The JPG:s are different from the Oly JPG:s, I've read. I would like to know how to work with the GH3 JPG:s as I avoid shooting RAW to minimize the post procession workload as much as possible.

More tips are welcome!
  4. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    No tips about how to setup the GH3 from any Oly and GH3 owner?
    All help would be appreciated!
    Which configurations do you use (changing from different shooting modes)?
    How do you configure the buttons?
    Come on please... Help me to prepare for starting out with a GH3.
  5. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    well I have the GX7 but I think Panasonic's JPEG settings haven't changed much judging from my short experience with the GH3

my settings are
    +3 sharpness
    +3 Saturation
    -5 NR (on all my cameras I always have noise reduction off or closest to off since it just ruins my JPEGs!)
    iDynamicRange = High

same applies to video.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME