From Nikon DX to micor 4/3

theredbaron

New to Mu-43
I'm contemplating the switch from a dx sensor to m4/3. Specifically from the D7000 to Panasonic GH3. Does anyone have experience moving between these two specific cameras. And what should I expect? Hope that is not too general a question.

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Although I do not have the GH I am a long time Nikon shooter who has switched to m4/3{partially}. There are a couple of things that I found m4/3 still lacks in. First is low light performance. However I do not own any of the better m4/3 bodies{yet}. Second is focusing on fast action especially at longer focal lengths. In these two areas I fall back on my one remaining Nikon body D5000.

I chose to go with Olympus over Panasonic because I mostly shoot JPEG. I prefer the way Olympus does JPEGs, very similar to the way Nikon does it. If I shot RAW a lot more then I might have gone Panasonic since their cameras do video so much better{RAW is the same between the two brands}. I might pick up a GH2/3 for doing video down the road.

For the most part the IQ of m4/3 is as good as APS{CX}. There is more noise in m4/3 at high ISOs but that is getting better with each generation. I have done some pixel peeping comparison and my E-PL2 is a near match to my D5000. So for your GH3 to D7000 I would think they would be nearly identical too. I love the smaller size and lighter weight of m4/3 which was the primary reason why I switched.

jon

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Jonathan
I have had a D90 and still have a D300 but moved to m4/3 last summer. Bought a G3 just before the G5 came out and moved to the G5 and then GH3. I have been very impressed with the capability of the system and decided to go with it and am at present slowly recouping my costs by selling off the Nikon gear.

I would agree entirely with speedandstyle as to the limitations but I find that with the smaller and lighter system, I am much more likely to take it with me and have access to a range of lenses I would never contemplate trying to carry with the Nikon.

So not perfect, there are limitations, but great advantages as well, and that is ignoring the video capability, but in general, there are few shots that you cannot get with the m4/3 system that are just as good as with the Nikon system.

JJJPhoto

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jerry Jackson Jr
I use both APS-C cameras and m4/3 gear (and occasionally my little Fujifilm X10 or a full frame DSLR on loan for an assignment).

Both Nikon DX gear and m4/3 can be used to create fantastic images and each have strengths and weaknesses.

The 16MP Sony APS-C sensor in the D7000 has slightly better high ISO performance and slightly better dynamic range than the 16MP Panasonic 4/3 sensor in the GH3 ... but for most practical applications (online galleries and prints up to 24x36 inches) you'll be hard pressed to see a MAJOR difference. Still, the difference is there.

Another noticeable difference is going to be DOF for background blur ... although you can still get some shallow DOF with m4/3.

The biggest difference I've personally noticed between my Nikon DX stuff and my m4/3 stuff is the way that Nikon lenses tend to render bokeh compared to Olympus or Panasonic lenses. Is it a night and day difference? No. But I'd say my Nikon glass tends to render bokeh pretty smooth while my Panasonic and Olympus lenses will often have an ever so slightly "harsh" rendering to bokeh (not related to the difference in DOF). Again, that's just my opinion.

Nikon D3100 with Nikon 50mm f/1.8G @ f/2:
DSC_0250-M.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Olympus E-P1 with Olympus 45mm f/1.8 @ f/2:
P6030072-M.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom