1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

From NEX to OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jsalicru, May 27, 2013.

1. jsalicru

jsalicru New to Mu-43

May 23, 2013
    Another thread where someone mentions a move from a NEX to OM-D.

Went from Canon to NEX-5n, the NEX-6. Really fought myself in regards to switching to Olympus when I purchased the 6. It was pointless.

I just sold my NEX gear and am actively looking to purchase a OM-D.

Quick question... How does the black finish hold up? Is it prone to wear off?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    There are reports of the black wearing off. I bought my black OMD second-hand and so far it's ok - but it is getting shiny around the edges. If I were buying again, I think I'd go for silver.

3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'm generally incredibly careful with my equipment and baby the hell out of them...but on the OM-D *IF* it starts "brassing" I'm going to be okay with it...part of the reason I bought this thing is to be as low-key as possible (out of concern about thieves, etc)...a bit of brassing will only make this camera look more like a cheap old film body! :D

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Regarding wear, I remember about 40 years ago when I saw my first Nikon, it was an all black camera (or at least black on the bottom section) and it was worn on the bottom corners, and the brass showed through - made the camera look like GOLD! It was gorgeous that way! I wouldnt' be too concerned with a coating wearing off, unless you are not considering keeping it and want the resale value.

5. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    I found the black finish to be weak on the E-M5 that I sold. The edges are particularly vulnerable. If you don't use the standard strap points, I would suggest that you remove the strap rings. Those seems to cause wear. I also didn't baby the camera though.

The "brassing" doesn't really look bad though. A nice shiny silver color underneath the lacquer. I have heard of the silver finish wearing too, but I would assume that it's less noticeable.

6. jsalicru

jsalicru New to Mu-43

May 23, 2013
    I think that the worn edges DOES give the item some character. At the same time I can't help but think that when I spend this much money I'd like to keep the new look for as long as possible.

Any of you ever thought about adding contact paper (like zag case for a cell phone) to wear areas?