From Lens to Camera

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Stephen Almond, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Stephen Almond

Stephen Almond Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2015
    Stephen Almond
    I currently have a Fuji X100S which is a great camera which I shall keep.
    However, I want more flexibility for my favourite subjects - landscapes and building interiors (particularly old churches).
    I think I need a wider lens, perhaps a wider zoom lens.
    I'm tempted by the Olympus 9-18 mm zoom which is both compact and (relatively) affordable.

The next choice is the camera on which to mount the lens. Two seem sensible - Olympus OM-D E-M10 or Panasonic GX7. I think both would do a fine job, but should the 9-18 mm lens point me to one over the other?

Thanks for any suggestions relating to the lens choice or the camera choice.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The E-M10 wins over the GX7 so far as IBIS is concerned. The GX7 I had did not provide very effective stabilisation at all. The E -M10 is much better. OTOH, the GX7 has electronic shutter which can be very useful and it's probably a little cheaper too.

The 9-18 is an OK lens, but it does suffer from corner softening which never totally goes away even with stopping down. The Oanasonic 7-14 is better, but quite a bit more expensive and bigger.

3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    The M10 has electronic first curtain, right? But not full electronic?

GM1's full electronic gives me the benefit of 1/16000 but I don't really care about the second feature of being silent.

4. Stephen Almond

Apr 26, 2015
    Stephen Almond
    It's hard for me to quantify the importance of image stabilisation. I think one of the reasons for going to this wide angle set up is to try using a tripod. Of course I wouldn't use a tripod all the time.
    Are there any other zoom or prime lenses I should consider?

5. Stephen Almond

Apr 26, 2015
    Stephen Almond
    I've become used to the viewfinder on my X100s and would not really want a camera without one.

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The Olympus 12 and the Panasonic 7-14 are both quite good optically, although both are pricey. The Panasonic 14 is good, but not great. The best thing about it is its compact build. It's really tiny. The PL15 is very good, but that is getting close to your X100 focal length. Samyang/Rokinon/Bower have the excellent 7.5 fisheye, as well as some normal wides, but I can't speak to the quality of any except the 7.5 (which is very good). In general their lenses are pretty good, although some are large (not the 7.5 though).

One more thing to consider. If you already work with the Fuji RAW files and can get an image quality you like, you might consider a Fuji camera. My understanding is that the processing for RAW files from an Xtrans sensor is quite different than for m43.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  7. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I had the 9-18 for over two years and shot many, many church interiors here in Germany. The problem is it is relatively slow, especially compared to the X100 I had at the same time. So I did one of two things: either used a mini-tripod braced on a pew or against a pillar or wall; or I used a fast prime (25mm 1.8) and took multiple shots handheld, later stitching them together. The second method was usually better: churches don't move much.

I now have the Panasonic 15mm 1.7, which is on a GX7. I still do the multiple shots stuff, but the 15 is wider than the 25 (and the X100), and I often can get away with a single shot, or 2-3 at the most. If I can get a stable platform, I use the 12-32.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Depending on how much size and weight you're willing to put up with, you might also consider the old 4/3 11-22 f2.8-3.5. I got my lens and MMF-3 adapter together for less than $300 USD. That's at least $100 less than a refurbished 9-18mm ($400 less than the new 9-18 price!), and while it's much larger and heavier, it's also a full 1 2/3-stops faster, has very little distortion, and is very sharp everywhere except the extreme corners from wide open. I've actually been shocked at how sharp it is, to be honest. AF is perfectly acceptable and very accurate for still subjects, for anything moving MF is easy to nail at this focal length. It also balances very well on my GX7, feels about the same as the 14-140.

Not the best choice for everyone, but an option!

Body-wise, I chose the GX-7 over the E-M10 for its superior handling and ergonomics, better EVF, silent shutter, and vastly superior manual focus aids. The IBIS is a bit of a concession, I imagine - it works okay on the GX7, but isn't magical like Olympus bodies. Really depends on your priorities.

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Note that for the EM10, Olympus offers a simple grip called the ECG1 for $50 (or cheaper used) that makes the camera just about perfect ergonomically.

10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If going that route, I might also recommend the Fotodiox grip. Fairly sure it's ergonomically the same shape, but it offers a cut-out for battery and card access at the bottom, and costs half as much. Seems like a winner.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Olym...p/B00N1Z7WOI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

• Like Like x 1
  11. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Would the wide converter for the X100 be an option? Probably not wide enough, but something to consider unless you want to get into a new system.

12. Stephen Almond

Apr 26, 2015
    Stephen Almond
    I think that moving to fisheye lenses is probably more than I want to do. It seems 21 mm equivalent is about right to me.
    I did consider staying with Fuji, but the 10-24 mm lens is big, heavy and expensive.

13. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    An XE-1 with Fuji 14? Keeps same battery, and essentially the same files, so workflow doesn't have to change. The 14 is wider, and probably slightly better than the closest m43 prime offering, the Oly 12 (which I own and enjoy, but I would prefer a 20 or 21 focal length).

14. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Rokinon has a m43 mount 20mm equivalent. I have no idea about the image quality (in general they are good), and I believe its designed for a DSLR so its large.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1039937-REG/rokinon_10m_mft_10mm_f_2_8_ed_as.html
    they also have a reasonably priced 12mm. Both are manual focus, but if you're setting up indoors with a tripod, it might meet your needs. And in case you don't know, Rokinon, Samyang, and Bowyer will be the same lens with different branding.

15. Stephen Almond

Apr 26, 2015
    Stephen Almond
    This is very interesting and relevant experience. It seems you think the 9-18 mm is less than ideal for the photographs I want to take. The 15 mm still seems less wide than I want. I wish they made a fixed 10 mm lens...

16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Rokinon does. See my post above yours.

17. Stephen Almond

Apr 26, 2015
    Stephen Almond
    I think your suggestion is very well worth considering in detail. The Fuji 10-24 mm is very big, but the 14 mm is more acceptable (in fact not too far removed in size from the Olympus 9-18 mm). The 14 mm along with a standard zoom 18-55 mm might be an excellent basic setup. I see that refurbished X-Pro1 cameras are available in the UK for ~£300. (This is not very relevant to this board, but the advice I'm getting here is excellent).

18. Stephen Almond

Apr 26, 2015
    Stephen Almond
    Thanks to you all for the help.
    Here's what I ended up with as my options:

Fuji X-E2 with 18-55 mm standard lens + 14 mm wide. The package weighs 895 gms and costs £1376 new.
    - advantages: Best IQ? I'm familiar with Fuji cameras.
    - Disadvantages: Heavy. Expensive. Fixed wide lens. No tilting screen. Slower autofocus.

Olympus E-M10 with 14-42 mm standard lens + 9-18 mm wide zoom. The package weighs 664 gms and costs £919 new.
    - advantages: Best IS. Tilting screen. Touch screen. Quick autofocus.
    - Disadvantages: Shallow grip.

Panasonic GX7 with 14-42 mm standard lens + 9-18 mm wide zoom. The package weighs 667 gms and costs £938 new.
    - advantages: Tilting EVF. Tilting screen. Touch screen. Quick autofocus. Silent shooting. Better standard lens than Olympus.
    - Disadvantages: Half-arsed IS.

So, it looks like the Panasonic package for me - unless someone has a different take?

Steve

19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    If you like the X100S I would consider the O17 f/1.8, it makes a nice combo with the E-M10.

We have the E-M10 and prefer that to the GX7.

20. Stephen Almond

Apr 26, 2015
    Stephen Almond
    Well I will be keeping the X100s. Besides if I bought the Olympus 17 mm, I would then have 3 lenses covering the 17 mm point plus the X100s!

Why do you prefer the E-M10 to the GX7?