From G5 to GH3. Worth it?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by STR, Oct 25, 2013.

1. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    I'm looking to trade up my G5 for a GH3 for the following reasons

• GH3 is dropping below $1000, and probably going to hit $900 or less during the holidays.
    • I want the -3ev low light autofocusing that the GH3 has.
    • The live blown highlight blinky-thing would be really handy.
    • I want more manual controls. Having to dive into the menu to change focus or shooting modes is tiresome.
    • The GH4/5/whatever is looking to be much more expensive, the main feature will be 4K (which is NOT something I need), and will be hard to find for months after launch if GH3 is any indication. Downside is that the next GH will also probably have focus peaking and in-body stabilization, but the only lens I'd need that with is the 20mm, which I use for low-light areas with fast moving subjects. Any shutter speed low enough to require IBIS would result in a motion blurred subject anyway. I wouldn't really use focus peaking if the camera can focus in -3ev.
    • I want less shadow noise, an supposedly the GH3 is a leap ahead in this area. I shoot RAW, and even if I switch to JPG, I'd probably screw around with the settings until I got what I wanted anyway. Straight OOC JPG isn't relevant.
    • I mainly use larger lenses (35-100mm, 100-300) and would like a beefier grip. My hand is just large enough that my pinky is usually underneath the G5, which isn't comfortable with a large lens. GH3 appears just tall enough to fit my whole hand.
    • The girlfriend needs a new camera and would be more than happy with my G5, which saves me the expense of a purchase for her.
    • Downside is that the GH3 is supposedly twice the weight (which does come with water sealing, so that's more of a wash, no pun intended) and I don't do a lot of video.

Given the list, do you (dear reader) think A) I have enough reasons to move up (and that it's not GAS) B) That the GH3 would be the best move for me.

2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    If you have the cash and it does things that the G5 does not do, plus you would be buying another cam any how I say why not. Though I have to ask would the G6 cover any of your needs?

3. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    It sounds like you are similar to me. I have a G5 and would like less shadow noise as well (wouldn't we all). If you don't shoot video, the GH3 is kinda big and heavy and has this viewfinder with major distortion for eyeglass wearers. The G5 hasn't got this problem.

Look at a lightly used E-M5 + grip. Less money and even better at stills shooting, quality per pound!

4. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    G6 lacks
    • Live Highlight blinking
    • As robust of a handle, it still won't be "tall" enough.
    • The focus mode switch and the shooting mode dial
    • Any improvement in RAW output.

Plus, G6 is $600-700. For that kind of money, I'd rather just spend the extra $300 and go top of the line. G6 is just in that no-man's land of not being that much better than the inexpensive G5, nor as small as the GF6 or the Olympus rangefinders or as nearly as capable as GX7, GH3, or EM-5. The value per dollar is worse than the others.

• I don't wear glasses, nor do I need the EVF to be 100% crisp in the corners. I don't see it being an issue.
    • I don't see the value proposition in used. Save $200 and loose the warranty? For a lens, I'll make that gamble, and I have with my imported 12-35 and 35-100. Camera has more to break.
    • I'm not anti-Olympus, but I do like having the pop-up flash for the times I need one but didn't pack one because I wasn't expecting to need a flash. Also the EM-5 grips seem even smaller than the G5 grip. EM-1 looks like it's got a nice handle on it (and I like the OS-PDAF), but it's not readily available, 50% more expensive, and also lacks flash.

Thank you both for your thoughts. Just because I disagree with some of your ideas does NOT mean they're not appreciated. We all need to get out of our own heads every so often.

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    My only issue with the GH3 is that it is as large and heavy as the DSLRs I moved to M4/3 to get away from. It's no doubt an excellent camera - but the one I'm waiting for is a G7, which I expect will have the same sensor and IBIS as the GX7, plus the ergonomics, the viewfinder and OLED display of the G6. But yes, if you don't mind the added bulk, and you have a destination for the G5, the GH3 is certainly a nice upgrade.

But if you don't shoot video, why not a GX7?

6. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Focus mode and shooting mode both have dedicated buttons on the G6, which make them very quick to select. G6 also has improved iq from the g5, despite having the same sensor. I recently chose between the gh3 and g6, and felt the gh3 didn't have the improvement in image quality to justify the price over the g6 for still photography. Just my thoughts.

7. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Also, the G6 may have live highlight blinking. If not, then it has it when viewing the images. It also has live histogram, which can give you similar info.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    According to whom? If it's true at all, the degree of improvement is miniscule at most.

9. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Lack of flip out screen and smaller grip. I like the IBIS on GX7, but as I said, it wouldn't actually do anything for me. Still quality wise, it's pretty much identical to the GH3. GH3 has the extra video features, but I don't lose anything by having them. In fact, I could grow into them.

10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    The G6 does not have "Live Highlight blinking"?
    Even the G5 have it when you change to play or review the photos.

11. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    GH series does it while you're composing the photo so you don't have to review the photo after you take it.

12. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I didn't know it.
    Nice feature

13. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    That could be really usefull, I am tempted to get one for this alone the video is of little interest for me.

14. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I agree, the GH3 is huge, and at that point you might as well be shooting a real DSLR with all its benefits like phase detection and a large sensor.

15. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME
  16. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I went from a G5 to the GH3 as soon as it was out, and I consider it more than worth it solely for the manual controls and ergonomics. I don't really care about camera size that much (for reference I shoot FF Nikon, Fuji, and m4/3 right now so I'm all over the map with camera sizes), other than for ease of packing it on vacation.

The GH3 is probably the most comfortable camera I've ever shot, in terms of outright ergonomics design and weight/size being just right for the hand. Add the battery grip and it's even more comfortable and easily gripped for portrait shots etc.

Other than weather sealing which I appreciate when hiking & camping, the big selling point for me is just that there are function buttons everywhere and manual controls for every major setting. I hate having to dive through menus, and I don't want a touch screen; I want dials and switches and buttons I can hit with the camera at eye level.

Oh, and the battery life. The GH3 battery is much larger and longer lasting and I have yet to run down a battery even with a full day of shooting - let alone adding the battery grip and a second battery.

17. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    The GH3 is about the same weight as the Nikon D5200, but the lenses are under half the weight. Plus it has to be noted that the GH3 is a top of the line body with such things as weather sealing where as the 5200 is a consumer body. Once you take in to account a few lenses and so on the difference will become more noticable. http://j.mp/1dbikw9

18. PSBaxter

PSBaxter New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    Paul Baxter
    I have have a G5 and I have had a GH3 for a week now. I love the G5 but the it is clear to me that the GH3 is a much better camera. Yes it is a little bigger and heavier but not that much, really. I know some people complain the GH3 is as big as DSLRs, but they can't mean any of the prosumer or professional DLSRs. I have a Canon 7D (which will be for sale soon) and it is much heavier and feels much bigger than the GH3. I have large hands and find the GH3 to be a lot easier to hold than the G5. I wear glasses and I have no issue with the viewfinder. I love the fully articulating LCD on both the G5 and the GH3, so much that I never even considered an Olympus or the GX7. The GH3 has the features I wanted and the price was right. The next model may be better, but who knows when it will be available. I will worry about that when and if it arrives.

19. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    David
    I went from a G3 to a GH3, and my main reason was the manual controls. So with your list of reasons, I would say yes, you do have enough of a reason to get a GH3.

As for the size, only you can decide if it is too big for you. The GH3 is not too big for me to use, but I also purchased a GX7 because I wanted a body I could carry in a smaller bag when I am doing something where photography is just an aside. The GH3 is not as casual as smaller bodies.

20. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    G5 -> GH3 (with grip) here too. My main reasons were fitting in the hand better (I'm 6' 8" tall), better sensor and manual controls. Yes, the viewfinder is blurry at the corners if you wear glasses, but it is an annoyance as opposed to a dealbreaker.

For all those who think it is "the same size as a DSLR" - yup - comfortable to hold unlike the smaller cameras :tongue: And body size pales into insignificance when you can carry the gripped camera, a 7-14, 12-35 and 35-100 in the same sized bag you'd carry an ungripped 5D2 and 24-105.