1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

From EPL3 too EPL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Wolf, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Hiya guys and girls

i'm new too 4/3 and this page.
    Just wanna tell you I bought an EPL3 zoom kit a few days back, and while i loved the quality of the photos and the software, i disliked the body and grip of the E-PL3. The EP3 is (still) a tad too expensive, so I was lucky to stumble upon an E-PL2 with kit lens for 350 euro (new).
    This is really a great camera, the body is much much nicer then the E-PL3.
    The AF is fast enough for me :)

The only thing i "lost" by returning the epl3 zoom kit is the 40-150 telezoom lens :rolleyes:

Two quick shots made with E-pl2 and kit lens

Thor - Kristof's Photos

Thor - Kristof's Photos

The photos are just so much sharper then with my sony nex... :)

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahah welcome to this forum and u r not the only one .I have been using MFT for the last 2 years and jumped on new EPL3 but that excitement faded too quickly.I didn't like the body and sold it immediately .There is not much of difference in AF and I just adore EPL2.Its the best MFT body from grip point of view .
    Cheers

3. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    I do think the EP3 is better (in all aspects, even grip, though the buttons on the epl2 seem better) , but I can't justify the 400 euro it costs more with the same kit lens.

though i would love the oled touch screen and some more art filters :biggrin:
    But who knows, maybe one day the price will drop a lot (when EP 4 comes:wink:)

Oh is the Panasonic 45-200 more worth the money then the 45-150 from Olympus ? (the Panny is cheaper and has more zoom)

4. Bhupinder2002

I would always choose Panny 45-200 .Its a gorgeous lens indeed.More over u get 100 mm extra focal length in 35 mm equivalent .
    Here are some shots with EPL2+ Panny 45-200

ISO_200_200_F:5_6_1:250.jpg P1013207.jpg ISO1600_200_1:500.jpg iso200_151_f8_1:500.jpg ISO400_97mm_f:9_1:400.jpg P3239368.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bhupinder2002

thats my daughter ..

6. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Yea i think i'll go for the panny
    does it autofocus fast with the EPL 2?

I liked the oly telezoom lens (i tried it with my epl 3 kit) but as you say, the the panny is probably more intresting

some nice pics you made there :smile:

7. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    From shots people have posted it seems to me the 40-150 at full stretch ,cropped, gives better results than the 200 at full stretch.
    I think the 40-150 is a great lens for the price.
    My character statement in a court of law is this taken from the ground not adjacent:
    5666935948_245f8cd05f_z.jpg
    But if you have a Panasonic body you'd likely be better off with the Panny lens for the stabilisation.

The thing with more zoom is that reaching further is of no use if the resulting image is not at a quality one wants to present.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good choice. I love my E-PM1 for what it is, the slimmest, sleekest, yet most powerful tiny camera around. I love my E-PL2 in other ways though, and in fact I love its body form in some ways better than the E-P3. It's stockier (left-right length) but with a beautiful textured grip. The E-P3 has the optional larger grip from the E-PL1, but I just think the large grip of the E-PL2 looks better. :) The picture quality is superb, as you mention it's really sharp... What's not to like about the camera? That it only has one dial, I suppose... xD

9. jettilton

jettilton Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Good choice as I'm having to return my EPL3 because of high shutter speed problems! I just wonder if the EPL2 has the same issues? Or even panasonic bodies?

Really like m-4/3, just not happy that the new bodies cannot handle high shutter speeds and low f-stops!

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The shutter mechanism on the E-PL3 and E-PM1 is completely different (newer, faster mechanism) than all the previous PEN cameras or the E-P3 (which still uses the old shutter). Thus the change to 5.5fps burst over the old 3.5fps.

As far as high shutter speeds and low f-stops though, you would need to drop down to base ISO as a first resort as I mentioned in your thread based on the settings you were using there. If your shutter speed is still reaching the max at base ISO and you need your aperture to remain wide (perhaps for added bokeh?), then use a Neutral Density filter.

11. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I didn't think it had been established that Jettilton's issue was common to all the new bodies, or whether there was problem with his camera. Until the latter can be discounted I think making assumptions that this is present in all the new bodies is premature.

12. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I've been getting used to carrying an E-PL2 over the last few days and I agree with everything Ned just said about the body - it really does sit well in the hand. Also I use a 45-200, haven't tried it yet on the Olympus, but have been impressed with the results for a sensible price on my G1.

13. jettilton

jettilton Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Ned,
    Could you do a test for me? Can you put a fast lens or even the kit lens on your EPL2, set ISO to 200, use an f-stop of around 2.2, point it at a bright area (sunny, if possible in Canada now) with a correct exposure with a high shutter speed around 2500 and up, do you see any problems with the second shutter curtain sync? It only happens around 2500 and up, lower shutter speed/aperture combinations don't have problem.

Thanks
    Jet

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sure Jet, I'll test that out for you. I'll even try it on both the E-PL2 and E-PM1 to see if there's any difference. There's actually no sunlight out today at all, but I can always just use 1000W of video hotlights.

EDIT: I couldn't get faster than 1/1000s at ISO200 even with 1000W of continuous light and f/1.4 aperture, but I tried 1/3000s shutter at ISO400 and 1/4000s shutter at ISO800 on both the E-PL2 and E-PM1, and couldn't detect a hint of black band in either. xP However, your issue may not show up unless it's blown with more light than I have available.

It's very possible that it is a Quality Control issue you have with the new shutter mechanism. You said somebody else had the same problem, so it could very well be that there are some defective products out there.

15. jettilton

jettilton Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Thanks Ned! Really don't want to lose the small size of m4/3, maybe i'll find an EPL2 locally to test out!

Jet

16. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My problem with the E-PL3 when I owned it was the button layout. Because of the swivel screen, you are forced to use it two handed. The E-PL2 and the E-PM1 both can be used with one hand navigating the buttons. I ended up returning it and getting the E-PM1. :smile:

17. Bhupinder2002

Yes Jonathan , I had trouble with the wheel actually . I have big thumb ( that makes me dumb) haahah , and the screen won't let me press wheel on left side where its almost touching the thumb wheel. I don't know but it wasn't the camera I could fall in love with . I loved every other PEN and my heart throb is still EPL1 .I havent used Olympus 40-150 lens but I am more than happy with Panny 45-200.Its superb lens . It fits very well on EPL2 body.
    Cheers

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My favorite Pens to date are the E-PM1 and E-PL2 and I've tried them all. I think these two bodies are the best in terms of features and price. I'd rate the E-PM1 slightly higher in regards to better AWB and faster image processing, but if handling is your thing while on a budget the E-PL2 rates higher. I'd love me an E-P3, but for the cost I like having two bodies over one. :smile:

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Same here, Jonathan. I would never trade my E-PL2 and E-PM1 for an E-P3. The Mini for when I want the smallest package to pack, and the E-PL2 for when I want a more comfortable grip and maybe if I want to use the VF-2 at the same time as triggering external flash. For video, the E-PM1 allows me 1080p in AVCHD, or the E-PL2 gives me 720p in direct-to-AVI. There's not much I would prefer the E-P3 over the E-PL2 for, except the extra thumbwheel and the extra Fn button by the shutter release (good for Autofocus). I would also like the touch-to-focus function, but wouldn't buy a new camera for that.

Of course, I'm also in the minority of those who prefer the high-res LCD over the higher-res OLED screen. I want what I see on the camera screen to be a true representation of my image as it will show up on the computer or in print. I don't want a bright, vibrant screen if it doesn't somehow make my photos more bright and vibrant! In fact, I have to tune the brightness down on every PEN I've had with the 460k dot LCD, as they have all been way too bright which gives me a false representation of the exposure of the photo. For as long as I've been shooting digital, I've learned to gauge exposure by eye, and that is the main reason why I shoot and love digital format. First time I took out my E-PL2 was for a commercial shoot which included 500 headshots of aspiring singers. I was quite disheartened when I downloaded the photos to my computer only to discover that I had to drastically edit the exposure on EVERY SINGLE SHOT, meaning also that the backgrounds were not properly blown out either - which is something I would never be able to fix in post. It should have been shot properly at the scene to get it right, but the default over-bright screen of the E-PL2 threw me way off course. At -7 brightness the E-PL2 and E-PM1 LCD looks more like my computer screen, but the OLED screen is always something different.

I also prefer the true White Balance shown on the LCD screen. In some lighting, the OLED screen can be WAY off color. For instance, under some fluorescent lighting I've seen every E-P3 screen turn all green, but the photo will turn out alright. There's no way to know that it's alright though, until you take it off the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    IS the EPM1 body better then the EPL3 then ?