From EM5 II to EM1 II: two questions

alefa

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi everyone,

after using an EM5 Mark II for the last two years, I recently bought a lightly used EM1 Mark II (an exhibit from a camera store with a few thousand shutter actuations), mostly for the better autofocus, grip and battery life. In general, I'm happy with the upgrade, but after using the new camera for a while I noticed two things:

1. Contrary to what all reviews say, autofocus (S-AF) often appears to be noticeably slower than on the EM5 II. I've tested this with the 12-40mm Pro and the 25mm f/1.8 lenses. With the EM5, both lenses usually focus within a fraction of a second, whereas the EM1 often needs about a second until the focus square turns green. While the camera focuses, I can hear three noises from the focus motor, and it looks like it first focuses too far away, then too close, and finally hits the right distance. Do you think this is normal? I've updated the camera's firmware to version 3.0 (still need to apply the 3.1 update) and reset all settings to factory default.

2. In my experience, RAW images from the EM5 are usually correctly exposed, and when I import them into Darktable the RAW by default looks quite similar to the "Natural" jpeg profile of the camera, which I like. With the EM1 II, images generally appear underexposed by about half a stop, and the imported RAWs look most similar to the "Muted" jpeg profile. The result is that I need to do more post-processing to get the images to look how I want. Does this match other people's experience?

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
There's some discussion about dealing with the lack of camera-specific profiles in darktable here: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/g9-raw-images-much-darker-than-g7.103824/page-3#post-1278583

The discussion is about the Panasonic G9, but there's general information about how to go about using darktable styles to give an initial rendering closer to what one would expect. There also happens to be a style for the EM1mkII in the same repository I linked to in that thread. It probably needs some improving (I don't own the camera), but check it out. If you're able to provide better images of an IT8 chart or colorchecker as RAW files, we can work on it.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
You should have very quick focus with the E-M1.2. Makes sure it's using firmware 3.1. If it was sold to you as "used" I'd take it back to the store and get them to send it for service, since most stores offer a 90-day warranty. If it was sold to you as "new, open box", you may have to send it in for service but it will be serviced as a new camera under warranty.

alefa

Mu-43 Rookie
There's some discussion about dealing with the lack of camera-specific profiles in darktable here: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/g9-raw-images-much-darker-than-g7.103824/page-3#post-1278583

The discussion is about the Panasonic G9, but there's general information about how to go about using darktable styles to give an initial rendering closer to what one would expect. There also happens to be a style for the EM1mkII in the same repository I linked to in that thread. It probably needs some improving (I don't own the camera), but check it out. If you're able to provide better images of an IT8 chart or colorchecker as RAW files, we can work on it.
Thanks, I'll check out that darktable style. I don't have access to am IT8 chart or colorchecker, but if I can find one that's not too expensive, I'd be happy to provide RAW files to improve the darktable style.

alefa

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks everyone for the comments. It's good to know that the autofocus behaviour is not normal. I did reset the camera to default settings (see my post). Maybe updating the firmware from 3.0 to 3.1 will help. If not, I'll probably have to send the camera to Olympus for service. It was sold to me as new with full warranty.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
There was not much difference between 3.0 and 3.1, certainly nothing to affect focusing speed. Agree with others that the S-AF is the same as the E-M5 Mkii. I am not conscious of the lens focus noise.

c12402

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Juan Guerrero
Just before sending to repair, clean lens and camera contacts and set parameter “reset lens” to off. As all others said already, this camera is very quick in getting focus, no noise of focus hunting should be noticeable.

Real Name
Chris
I think you have your answer but I will weigh in with extra support. I had the EM5-mk2 for quite a while and recently went to the EM1-mk2. Focusing is the same for me. I have hoped that the EM1-mk2 would be more reliable at focusing but have not proven that to myself at this point. EM1-mk2 definitely does not feel slower, however.

gryphon1911

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew
I think you have your answer but I will weigh in with extra support. I had the EM5-mk2 for quite a while and recently went to the EM1-mk2. Focusing is the same for me. I have hoped that the EM1-mk2 would be more reliable at focusing but have not proven that to myself at this point. EM1-mk2 definitely does not feel slower, however.
The place where you'll see the most improvement is in the C-AF. The EM5.2 is basically unusable, where as the EM1.2 is the best C-AF implementation I've seen from Oly in a camera I've used. I can't ahead to the EM1X as I've not had a chance to use it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom