From DSLR > M4/3 > RX100 and loving it.

Dave in Wales

Mu-43 All-Pro
RX100 :love:

I think I may at last be suited, the RX100, a luxury P&S with full control.

It’s SUCH a beautiful thing, it’s gorgeous, solid, silky smooth positive controls, it oozes quality and with truly excellent IQ.

I went out yesterday to try the camera out, and yes I'll be keeping it, it's an absolute 'JOY'.....All cameras should be made this way.

The shots below are OOC JPEG's with minimal sharpening after resizing.

Camrea settings, basically as it came out of the box.
'P'
AUTO ISO
JPG...large, fine.
Creative style.......Standard, no tweeking.

I'll have to play around with 'Creative Style' settings to see what difference they make.

7987373195_9e00e35027_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC00038 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

7987372405_6a6f74633a_b.jpg

DSC00047 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

View attachment 230660
DSC00053 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

View attachment 230661
DSC00057 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

7987377022_6a4a15f065_b.jpg

DSC00064 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

View attachment 230663
DSC00068 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Congrats ..I feel happy when someone finds their dream camera. So u have gone from a powerful SUV ( DSLR) to a turbo-charged SEDAN( MFT ) to a powerful Bike ..:rofl::rofl::rofl:
cheers

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
MFT is a sedan? Can't be! More like hatch back. I could never drive something as restrictive as a sedan, and I love MFT. :biggrin:

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
RX100 :love:

I think I may at last be suited, the RX100, a luxury P&S with full control.

It’s SUCH a beautiful thing, it’s gorgeous, solid, silky smooth positive controls, it oozes quality and with truly excellent IQ.

I went out yesterday to try the camera out, and yes I'll be keeping it, it's an absolute 'JOY'.....All cameras should be made this way.

The shots below are OOC JPEG's with minimal sharpening after resizing.

Camrea settings, basically as it came out of the box.
'P'
AUTO ISO
JPG...large, fine.
Creative style.......Standard, no tweeking.

I'll have to play around with 'Creative Style' settings to see what difference they make.
Obviously the camera does a great job at processing, the dynamic range in the pictures is quite large and they indeed look wonderful. If I wanted to do this with my GH2, I'd have to correct the exposure and carefully process the raw files. I know you have been critical with the E-M5, so now you make me curious enough to try out the RX100 in a shop!

Edit: just looked up the specs. No viewfinder -> not for me.

phl0wtography

Mu-43 Veteran
At such small file sizes its quality is hard to tell to be honest. Your pictures are great, but I think you could've achieved this quality given the file size with other, way cheaper P&S too. Don't you have 100% crops showing detail, shadow noise, ... ?

Again, no critic on your pictures, I think they are great and I like it that you didn't post brick walls or cats ;) but to see what the RX100 is capable of, the pictures are way too small.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Funny how personal preference works. I have an RX100 also. I'm keeping it because the sensor is leaps and bounds beyond any other compact today, but I find the handling, controls, ergonomics, etc, a total pain in the arse. I feel like I'm in a battle of wills every time I shoot with it - I usually win but I always know I've been in a fight. I greatly prefer all things about the LX7 except the sensor, which isn't in the same galaxy.

I love the OMD, I never liked the GH2 much at all. IIRC you had exactly the opposite reactions? I guess we just all like what we like and it doesn't have to make sense to anyone else. I'll be selling my RX100 in a year or so or however long it takes Pany or Ricoh or Fuji to put an equally good sensor into a compact I actually enjoy shooting with!

In any case, it's great news when anyone finds their dream camera, so congratulations! Oh, and the raw files are even better than the jpegs, which are very good indeed!

-Ray

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
At such small file sizes its quality is hard to tell to be honest. Your pictures are great, but I think you could've achieved this quality given the file size with other, way cheaper P&S too. Don't you have 100% crops showing detail, shadow noise, ... ?

Again, no critic on your pictures, I think they are great and I like it that you didn't post brick walls or cats ;) but to see what the RX100 is capable of, the pictures are way too small.

Here are a couple of larger ones - both jpegs, the first at base ISO, the second at 3200. You can click through and see full size if you want. The raw files are better but the jpegs are damn good...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/7698837552/" title="ChesCo bike ride by ramboorider1, on Flickr"> View attachment 230685 "1600" height="1067" alt="ChesCo bike ride"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/7781080204/" title="Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes by ramboorider1, on Flickr"> View attachment 230686 "1600" height="1600" alt="Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes"></a>

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
The RX1 is the camera I'm lusting after this season. Yeah, like that's going to happen. I'm also tempted to pick up an RX100... but you just know the competition will be rushing out enthusiast compacts with one-inch sensors in the new year. I'd like to get a look at them.

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
I hope to join you soon. I'm waiting for a sale on the RX100. There have been a couple on CL for $500, but I'm always a little late.

zapatista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Barber
Raw files converted into .dng from the RX100 are bigger than the OM-D typical files...30 mb's on average.

Latest threads

Top Bottom