1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

From Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by rainyseason, Jan 8, 2011.

1. rainyseason

rainyseason Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2011
    Costa Rica
    Hi All,
    I'm living in Costa Rica and looking to get a micro 4/3 camera but don't know anything about them. I've had numerous cameras over the years most recently a Nikon D300. I want one of the 4/3's as they are smaller, lighter, and less intimidating to the subject. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mark

• Like Like x 3
  2. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome, and Hello from a cold and snowy Scotland.

M43 has a lot to offer as a system - size as you mentioned, and a lot of flexibility, given the facility of using legacy lenses via inexpensive adapters. I have an Olympus E-p1, a Panasonic G1, and a Panasonic GF1. All cameras which are nice to use. I don't know how much you know about m43, so forgive me if I mention things you already know.

All the Oly cameras have image stabilisation in body. Pany has in lense stabilisation. As far as I can tell, they work equally well. Using legacy lenses with the various cameras is different experience from camera to camera. The Oly in body stabilisation is handy, but I find it difficult to focus with my EP1, because of the lack of a viewfinder - it can be done but it's a bit more difficult. With the G1, it's easier through the viewfinder, but there's no stabilisation. As I only use fast primes in daylight, image stabilisation isn't much of an issue.

The kit lenses all autofocus quickly, and are of good quality - some, such as the Pany 20mm f1.7 are excellent by any comparison..

All in all I think it's a great system.

That's just a few thoughts from me. I'm relatively new to m43, so still learning the ropes :smile:

All the best,

Colin

• Like Like x 1
  3. briandforever

briandforever Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2010
    I was in the same path with you, deciding what m4/3 to get, this forum helps a lot
    :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. rainyseason

rainyseason Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2011
    Costa Rica
    Thanks for the quick replies. I'm leaning toward the Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm lens as a basic carry camera. Any comments regarding this vs. the others would be helpful. I think I'd like the controls on this one better then the others but that's just from some of the reviews I've read. I almost ordered one tonight but figured I better do a little more research first.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

The Gf1 is a really nice camera. It feels very quick and responsive. I often use mine with the 20mm Pany, or Olympus 17mm; in conjunction with a hotshoe mounted optical viewfinder, for street photography. Build quality is great, and I like the film modes - particularly dynamic black and white.

All the best,

Colin

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Mark. This site may be useful: LINK

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hey Rainyseason ... I was in a similar boat, I have a pair of dSLRs and wanted to try a camera with decent IQ yet less intimating than my 1Ds'. It was a tough decision because I was of a mind that a photograph worth taking is worth taking with the best equipment one owns.

Last week I finally got over that mindset and purchased a Panasonic GF1 w/ 20mm 1.7. Great little camera with good IQ (up to ISO 800) and easy to manipulate manual settings (no software menus to mess with all buttons and dial). This camera is fun ... make that FUN!! and the camera still pack a good punch IQ wise. I enjoy the camera so much that I've just ordered an additional lens and EVF.

Gary

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome rainyseason! :biggrin:

I see you've gotten some good advice already, I see. I'd also suggest that, if you haven't already, you take a look through some of the threads in the This or That forum which is all about cross brand comparison. Don't hesitate to add your own questions to existing threads there or start a new one. You'll get many more eyes reading in there. I'd also be sure to read the dedicated Panasonic and Olympus forums as well. Lots of plusses to both camera brands.:thumbup:

9. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome from Holland !

10. rainyseason

rainyseason Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2011
    Costa Rica
    Thanks all,
    I just ordered the GF1 from Amazon with the 20mm lens and a leather case. I'll be on the site quite often learning from all the experts here.
    Mark

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Hooray, for you! Get that battery in the charger ASAP, once the box arrives!:biggrin: