1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

From Ben Vorlich, Loch Earn

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by OpenCS, Oct 20, 2012.

1. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    In Scotland this morning.. was one of those days: when the view was great the light was not, and when the light was great the view was not. Still..

8105689199_1f9f68e547_b.

8105703462_f218fccc69_b.

8105702902_74b2b12604_b.

8105687701_7a5667f353_b.

All with EPL3 and the Sigma 30 f/2.8

• Like Like x 16
  2. North20

North20 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    East of the Cascades, PNW
    Pat
    What a terrific landscape!

I'm getting a kick out of your companion's expression in the 2nd image ...

Said with a long suffering tone and raised brow:
    "You know it's quite wet out here, don't you?"

3. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    Heh, that same observation has been made by a couple of people now. Almost enough people to start me feeling guilty :) She was enjoying it more than she's letting on in that picture. Really. :shifty:

Thanks.. as you'd expect, when I set out it was all mist and fog but I had a feeling it'd give as I gained altitude. I've got some from earlier in the day with a lot more low lying mist but it was still quite dark when I took them so they'll take a bit of cleaning up to get anywhere near usable.

4. North20

North20 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Pat
    Haha, I doubt any guilt on your part is needed :biggrin:

Among the dogs I've had that have shared my time outdoors I had one that despised being outside if it rained. Trying to get him outside on a rainy morning to do his thing was like pulling teeth. But all I had to do was grab my mountain bike, or any type of hiking gear, and he was raring to go regardless of any kind of weather. To the point of whimpering in anticipation if he believed I was taking too long to get ready.

Even if they hate it, they love sharing it with you :thumbup:

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Looks like you did just fine, even so! It was my trip to the UK that finally spurred me to abandon my compact XZ-1 for m4/3 due to the frequent shortage of light...

6. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    Nice way to put it :)

My two both love getting out and spending six or seven hours wandering around 1000 metres higher than they should be. They whimper and moan when I stop for a rest, make me keep going much faster than I really want to.

That one in particular is really great, she makes me laugh every time. She gets out of the car and frantically roots around for a stick (which she finds in thirty seconds or so generally, sometimes a far bigger stick than she really should be carrying), then carries the stick all the way to the top and all the way back down before putting it down exactly where she found it (assuming I go back the same way).

The stick doesn't feature in the portrait earlier (she'll have left it a couple of metres back), but..

EwnPP.

YAvOp.

No artistic merit in these pictures, but I laughed when I noticed her stick..
    Anyway, thanks for the comments :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    Thank you :) I used to use a G12 since I needed small kit to take up into the mountains, but I've noticed massively improved higher ISO performance with the EPL3 (which doesn't have a particularly legendary sensor, as I understand it, but it works for me).

Yeah, those of us who live here get used to having to take pictures with "light" meaning just that you can actually see what you're taking a picture of, rather than creating any interesting effects >_<

8. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I particularly love the first shot. I think the Sigma's really an excellent lens, I love the way it renders.

9. North20

North20 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Pat

Ah, love it!

Wonderful friend you have there :smile:

10. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    Yeah, I love it - barely took it off today. Had settled on the Panasonic 14mm for my wide prime but starting to wonder if I'll get away with the Sigma 19..

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The landscapes might be fine but the over-sharpened picture of your two dogs is awesome!
    Five stars, really great look out of the corner of the eye too. Good processing.

More of them please.

12. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    I'm sure they'll be gracing the dog thread in the future :) Thank you :)

13. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    One more, although this one is really just for the mountaineers

• Like Like x 1
  14. North20

North20 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Pat
    Nice indeed; thanks again for sharing your images.

15. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Magnificent shots!Well done!