From Alpha to Olympus. A new MFT user from York, UK.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Your Funny Uncle, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Your Funny Uncle

Your Funny Uncle Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2013
    York, UK.
    Rob
    Hi all,

Since getting back into photography in the early 2000s, I moved quickly from point and shoots to a Konica Minolta bridge camera before buying a Sony A100 in 2006. Over the years I built up and tweaked my lens collection, while enjoying the great community over at dyxum.com.

In early 2012 I got an A77. I fell in love with the EVF it convinced me that mirrorless was the future, but Sony's NEX cameras never really grabbed me. When I saw the E-M1 with it's new 12-40 f/2.8 kit lens I knew that the time was right for me to change. I bought one over the weekend, as well as the Panasonic 35-200 f/2.8 and 100-300. So far I'm very happy with it, and I'm about to give the whole set-up a good workout with a trip to see my wife's family in Mexico for Christmas. I'm looking forward to contributing to these forums!

Rob.

• Like Like x 1
  2. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    Welcome to the Forum! Enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Welcome, I guess you like those expensive bright zooms then.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Your Funny Uncle

Dec 12, 2013
    York, UK.
    Rob
    Yup. On A-mount I quickly moved from the kit lens that came with the A100 to a Tamron 17-50/2.8. When I got the A77 it was in a kit with Sony's 16-50/2.8. I always wanted a 70-200/2.8 but they're such a lot of weight to lug around. No such issues with the Panasonic. I do like primes too and will probably get the Oly 45/1.8 at some stage soon and maybe the Panasonic 20mm pancake. My initial desire was to have a good long range covered. When we get back from Mexico I'll be selling all my Sony gear to (hopefully) cover most of the cost of what I've just bought!

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Rob!

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Maybe an UWA might make more sense before you go to primes? The 9-18 is a nice compact option with great IQ.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Your Funny Uncle

Dec 12, 2013
    York, UK.
    Rob
    I've borrowed UWA lenses at meetups before, and while they're fun, I think I'd rather have a portrait lens first...

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group Rob! Have fun with that new Olympus and look forward to seeing some of your work.

• Like Like x 1