From A to V

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Brandon Weaver, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Brandon Weaver

Brandon Weaver Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Cincinnati (Northern Kentucky)
    Brandon Weaver
    Hello Mu-43 community. My background is in music production and audio engineering. I've owned and operated a professional commercial recording studio, full time, for the past seven years. Music and audio are still my profession, but I'm beginning a journey into the visual world.
    As I researched cameras, I had blinders for anything but Canon (for no good reason, but knowing that many of the photos and videos that I love were shot with Canon bodies and lenses). The research also quickly lead me to mirrorless technology. The EOS-M seemed decent, but I wanted to see what else was out there. This lead me to Micro Four Thirds. I'm immensely excited about this format, and knew immediately that I wanted to invest in it.
    Since video and stills are going to be very important for what I'm trying to achieve, I ordered a Panasonic GH3 - after I finally found one in stock (Samys). It hasn't even arrived yet, but I'm devouring as much information as I can. I know there is a tremendous amount to learn and experience. This forum is certain to be an asset. I'm green to both photography and cinematography, so bear with me. And thank you in advance for your advice and help.
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome aboard! I believe that you'll find this a great place to get advice and tips, and a great place to share your work. Glad to have you with us. :thumbup:
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I work for a church and run sound for the children's ministry. I also do video and graphics for the church. Sound is not my best ability but I do OK. Been a photographer for many years, have a degree is graphic arts and been doing video work{amateur and professional} for almost 10 years. Canon has a big name in DSLR video just because they were the first to add HD video into a DSLR. I have never used Canon DSLRs for video but I use their video camcorders every week{I film a weekly Bible study}. They have been in the Pro video market for many years and make good stuff.

We are currently looking to upgrade from our now dated Canon XL1s SD video cams to HD. The Panasonic AF100 is at the top of the list{it is a full pro m4/3 video camera}. I have been tempted to get a GH for my personal video use but haven't yet. I really wish Panasonic would make a m4/3 consumer level camcorder as I find the DSLR bodies hard to use for video work. Panasonic is one the big names in video both consumer and professional and I have never been disappointed by their camcorders{used several and owned one}.
  4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Brandon, welcome to the forum!