From a recent trip in the Scottish Highlands

TheLaird

Mu-43 Veteran
Out for a Sunday morning drive .....

_B100079.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_B100052.jpg
_B100047.jpg
_B100036.jpg
_B100011.jpg
_B100003.jpg

TheLaird

Mu-43 Veteran
Somewhere up Glen Affric?
Nearly. Strathconnon, the strath next to Affric, or to be 100% accurate, Strathglass. There are a number of straths (valleys) that come from the Beauly Firth area. Affric is the best known (and I live at the start), Stathfarrar, Strathconnon and Glencanich. All different. Straths are more open and grassy, where as Glens are more steep sided and dark. Taking photos in the Affric and Canich is not too easy in winter. The hills are high, and the light does not often get down to the floor. Inverness is on about the same latitude as Churchill on Hudson Bay. Winter has limited sunlight and the sun is low in the sky. Summer on the hand ...

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Beautiful pictures!
I went once in Scotland and loved it. Your pictures make me want to go back :)

Snapshooter

Mu-43 Regular
TheLaird, do you have recommendations for where to visit for a first-time summer season visit to the Highlands for people who like to hike (day hike, not
overnight for this trip) and take pictures?

Snapshooter

Mu-43 Regular
Of course. When? For how long? etc. etc
About one week in late June. We will be coming from London by train or plane—not sure which yet. We will have a one-year-old with us, which will limit the miles per day we can walk as well as the evening hours we will be out and about. Also, I don’t know if we will rent a car or try to get around by bus. We’re just looking for anything quintessential Highlands. Thanks!

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Nearly. Strathconnon, the strath next to Affric, or to be 100% accurate, Strathglass. There are a number of straths (valleys) that come from the Beauly Firth area. Affric is the best known (and I live at the start), Stathfarrar, Strathconnon and Glencanich. All different
Yes, Strathglass. We were corrected when we called it Glen Affric. :) We visited several straths including Glencanich and Stratconnon as far as Scardroy (technically a tributary). We intended to go up Strathfarrar (we knew about the gate) but the weather changed our plans. Did have a pleasant meal at Struy. I have posted photos in various threads...

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
About one week in late June. We will be coming from London by train or plane—not sure which yet. We will have a one-year-old with us, which will limit the miles per day we can walk as well as the evening hours we will be out and about. Also, I don’t know if we will rent a car or try to get around by bus. We’re just looking for anything quintessential Highlands. Thanks!
Rent a car. You will need it. If by train to Inverness Get a bus to the airport to pick up a car. Bus station is a block from the train station. If flying you are already there. For hill walking go to walkhighlands

TheLaird

Mu-43 Veteran
Most of the easier paths are very well marked. As was said above, WalkHighlands is very good. Sorted by area, graded by difficulty and also has a little map section too.

As for areas to go to, I would recommend getting a car. My thoughts would be, to allow for a difference in views:-
Highland Glens - Glen Affric as mentioned before
Assynt - head to Ullapool and north towards Loch Inver. This is a nice walk and the views are excellent. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/stacpollaidh.shtml
Applecross is lovely, especially the drive. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...and_Cromarty_Scottish_Highlands_Scotland.html
Skye - Elgol and Glen Brittle. The Old Man of Storr great views too .. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/old-man-of-storr.shtml
The Harry Potter Train to Mallaig is nice. Alternatively, https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/glenfinnan.shtml

Hope this helps. Ping me with more Q&A.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The Harry Potter Train to Mallaig is nice. Alternatively....Glenfinnan....
I might add that if going as far as Ft William might as well take in Glencoe. IMHO the most scenic glen on a main road and easily accessible many short kid friendly walks. Will be very busy in June though. Of course so will Skye and the HP train and viaduct and everywhere else in Scotland. You should be booking your stay right now! Actually a self-catering for a week in a central location would be my choice. Everywhere on the above list is accessible in a day from the Great Glen area. Maybe Skye is a stretch ...

Snapshooter

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks, Mike. I'd read about Glencoe and that was the top of my list before seeing this thread. I don't think we'll make it to Skye--probably just not enough time. I like your idea of staying somewhere central and making day trips to the various places outlined here. Where were your favorite places to visit in Scotland? How were the cities?

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
OK I will post here and hopefully get more responses. One week is pretty tight. Most self-catering is Sat thru Sat. If you could manage 10 days you could spend two nights in Edinburgh and then a week in the Highlands. First of all more info would be helpful. What are your interests? Hiking, wildlife, whisky, golf, scenery, history, Outlander, etc. My wife and I are interested in the outdoors and history so that was pretty much what we did. We're definitely not city/urban people but that being said Edinburgh is definitely worth a look. We have spent a fair bit of time exploring it. Especially enjoyed the National Museum. All sorts of activities for kids there too. Arthur's Seat for walks. Of course the Mile. No need for a car. One can take the train to Perth or Inverness and pick up a car there depending upon where you decide to stay. More later...

TheLaird

Mu-43 Veteran
OK I will post here and hopefully get more responses. One week is pretty tight. Most self-catering is Sat thru Sat. If you could manage 10 days you could spend two nights in Edinburgh and then a week in the Highlands. First of all more info would be helpful. What are your interests? Hiking, wildlife, whisky, golf, scenery, history, Outlander, etc. My wife and I are interested in the outdoors and history so that was pretty much what we did. We're definitely not city/urban people but that being said Edinburgh is definitely worth a look. We have spent a fair bit of time exploring it. Especially enjoyed the National Museum. All sorts of activities for kids there too. Arthur's Seat for walks. Of course the Mile. No need for a car. One can take the train to Perth or Inverness and pick up a car there depending upon where you decide to stay. More later...

As a boy we got taken to the National Museum of Scotland. This is of the main gallery which has been redeveloped. As a lad, there were little ponds with gold fish in them. We would stop off there first before heading upstairs to where the model railway engines were working models and it was fascinating to watch the moving parts. As a little boy it was pure heaven. Anyway there is a new extension with far more historical Scotland artefacts. I still spend hours there every year when I go.
BA1E83AA-BAAB-4D17-83F0-5D8E9BF4B704.jpeg

I labelled this ... time waits for no man.
464F3CD4-36EB-4164-9E65-85684E3C8F41.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom