From a Funeral

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by kevinparis, May 18, 2011.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Not a cheery subject I know, but I haven't taken a photo for weeks due to a shoulder injury. However today I went up to the funeral service for the Gent cyclist Wouter Weylandt, who died in the Giro D'Italia.

These are some shots from the event. All E-p1 and 20mm lens

Last Taxi by kevinparis, on Flickr

Reflective steps by kevinparis, on Flickr

S5183439 by kevinparis, on Flickr

Next Generation by kevinparis, on Flickr

Coke is Life by kevinparis, on Flickr

In respect by kevinparis, on Flickr

Peoples Limousine by kevinparis, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  2. JLatimer

JLatimer Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice set. The driver smoking is a good image. I have often thought a funeral would make a good subject. Just never felt it good to take a camera to one.
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Nicely done, I like the, just-another-day-at-the-office, driver ... taking a deep drag on the cig and swilling down a Coke ... wanting to take a short-cut just so he can call it a day 10 minutes early.

Funerals are tough to shoot ... one is always torn between respect and getting the shot with most emotion.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Very well done, Kevin. I hope your shoulder is doing better.

Why is it that I haven't smoked a cigarette in 8 years, but a simple photo of a man smoking (at a funeral, no less) makes me remember fondly how nice it would be to enjoy one now?
  5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Kevin,

Difficult subject nicely handled. Offered just the right amount of insight on a somber event.

For me it's been 27 years, and I still remember a relaxing smoke with fondness.
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thanks guys

It was good to get shooting again... that panasonic 20mm still astounds me... hopefully the rumored new lenses coming down the line keep up the standard

oh and apologies for stirring long lost lusts in the former smokers :)

7. Nice B&W series Kevin. The driver's shot is priceless. Kudos to you. Hard subject. Indeed. Once I was hired by a Chineese family to photograph the portrait of their dead aunt just before they opened the funeral room to visitors. The photos were going to be sent off to China to the remaining family there. Yup, a bit of a bizarre assignment that one was.

I hope your shoulder is doing better.

@ Amin, as an ex-smoker, yup, I was one once 14 years ago, I have no desire to light one. My hubby on the other hand could go back to light a smoke, but he doesn't. My mom's prayers for me to quit the "cancer Stick" worked. I truly dislike even the smell of it, and not in a militant way.
  8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA

Very nice pictures. Thank you for sharing. I hope your shoulder gets better.