Friends what do you think of this new model.....?

Real Name
Siegfried
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Obviously one will have to work on the details so that it works for people?
Do you think this could work?

Real Name
Siegfried
no, it clearly says "The Image Brightness Triangle" in the center and not "Exposure Triangle". So it is completely different.
Great observation.... just to be clear I do not support the "historical" exposure triangle. That said nothing simple and friendly replaced the exposure triangle.

We probably need to hang out far out the box to develop a new model....or is it easier than one think?

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Looks like the exposure triangle, which has been around probably longer than you have been alive.
Really? I'd never heard of it until a year or two ago when it became something for "experts" on photo forums to spout off about.

How does the exposure triangle work when shooting film?

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Great observation.... just to be clear I do not support the "historical" exposure triangle. That said nothing simple and friendly replaced the exposure triangle.

We probably need to hang out far out the box to develop a new model....or is it easier than one think?
what you posted is nothing really different. All you did was change the name in the center to something I think is more confusing and you just put ISO in ( ) and added some additional words to the outside. Not sure how you can "believe" in this and not the "historical" since there is really no difference

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's STILL the exposure triangle, but less boring and implies the relationship better than the actual triangle, I think.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I'd like to see a model that accounts for ISO invariant sensors and adjusting exposures in post processing software!:rolleyes-38:

--Ken

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I gotta say I think there's a case for an updated digital model. I've snuck in ISO25600 images without telling anyone and nobody complains, but I have plenty where the shutter speed or aperture is insufficient and there's simply nothing you can do. The ISO blob needs to be smaller :D

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
.... so that it works for people?
Do you think this could work?
Work ?

To me, simply explaining in words that image brightness depends on the effect of aperture, ISO and shutterspeed on the available light "works" much more clearly than those images.
Having Exposure in there makes sense, but then, wouldn't it be logic to have Light Input in there as well ?

Last edited:

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I don’t think that either the classic triangle or this one really do anything to explain the factors that go into determining the brightness of the final image, let alone how a beginner ought to set her camera.

For starters, it completely ignores the issue of how much light you have to start with - which is obviously key. This is sometimes controllable (move in/out of the shade, go outdoors, add a flash, turn on a lamp, use you phone screen, etc.).

It also doesn’t do anything for me in terms of describing how the three camera settings really interact to affect image brightness. How does the Triangle show that one might slow the shutter speed when making the aperture smaller to maintain a level of brightness? Which one should I change, and when, to change the level of brightness?

How does it illuminate (see what I did there?) the other impacts that shutter speed and aperture might have on an image?

Where does it let the viewer know that aperture and shutter speed actually affect the quantity of light hitting the sensor, while ISO is a fundamentally different thing? What’s the difference between changing the ISO and brightening the image in post (which could be the Photo app on your phone)?

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
I don’t think that either the classic triangle or this one really do anything to explain the factors that go into determining the brightness of the final image, let alone how a beginner ought to set her camera.

For starters, it completely ignores the issue of how much light you have to start with - which is obviously key. This is sometimes controllable (move in/out of the shade, go outdoors, add a flash, turn on a lamp, use you phone screen, etc.).

It also doesn’t do anything for me in terms of describing how the three camera settings really interact to affect image brightness. How does the Triangle show that one might slow the shutter speed when making the aperture smaller to maintain a level of brightness? Which one should I change, and when, to change the level of brightness?

How does it illuminate (see what I did there?) the other impacts that shutter speed and aperture might have on an image?

Where does it let the viewer know that aperture and shutter speed actually affect the quantity of light hitting the sensor, while ISO is a fundamentally different thing? What’s the difference between changing the ISO and brightening the image in post (which could be the Photo app on your phone)?
It does none of that, nor is it supposed to. It is simply a graphic that shows a person new to photography the relationship between the three. It's a beginning. It's page one of Photography 101. If a person doesn't first understand that they're connected, showing them the variables would be useless.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom