1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

French language prompts and screens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jeremy7777, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Jeremy7777

Jeremy7777 New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    Jeremy
    I own a used Panasonic Lumix G1 camera which I just recently purchased.

One of the problems I am having is that several of the screens are in French
    and I can not seem to convert them into English. (Or get rid of them).

I've gone through the "set-up" menu on the camera and specified the Language Option = ENGLISH.
    But for some strange reason...... there are still some prompts and screens in French
    and I can't get rid of them or change them. (I find the set-up mode a nightmare to use).

When I did receive the camera, there was no Software CD Disk for me to load onto my computer.
    My computer automatically recognized the camera when I hooked up as "Removable Drive - E"

I can download all of the pictures I've taken - no problem.

If I download the software from Panasonic, is there anything in there that will help me get rid of the
    French prompts on the camera? I've also noticed that Panasonic has downloadable "Firmware" (not software).
    Is this the same thing ????

2. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
  3. Jeremy7777

Jeremy7777 New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    Jeremy
    Thanks for the input but this doesn't really help me or answer my questions.

I still need to know if "Firmware" and "Software" are the same thing.
    I still need to know if this problem can be corrected by downloding the "Firmware".

The previous owner of this camera is French Canadian and lives in Quebec and from what I have figured out is that he doesn't speak too much english.

I may just be better off if I go directly to Panasonic (in Canada) and ask them for a solution.

Thanks anyway.

4. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    A firmware is a program on a given machine like a camera or a lens, a software is designed to work on different computers or informatique system.

In your case the firmware is "controling" the camera, the menu etc... But I don't think it's a firmware problem. I am french, maybe if you could post some picture from what you are saying, maybe I could help.

5. Jeremy7777

Jeremy7777 New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    Jeremy
    I have no way of posting a picture of the screen as this system asks for a link to a URL and the
    picture is in one of my files on my hard drive .... not on the web.

I'm going to get hold of Panasonic in Mississauga and ask them.
    When I get / find my answer, I'll post the results.

Thanks any way.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The Alliance Fran├žaise offer very effective French language courses around much of the world.
    :wink: