1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Freelensing with the FD 50/1.4

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jman, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    So I tried freelensing with my FD 50/1.4 tonight. Was an interesting experience. Definitely a little crazier than using a true tilt-shift, but somewhat similar results. I barely missed focus here, putting the focus slice just a little to far down, but it gives you the idea. :)  I then cross-processed it to complete the vibe, though the tonality was similar, given the reduced contrast from some light intrusion into the light box.

chloe_tilt.

And two more. The last one is kind of a throwaway shot, but it shows what happens with strong downward tilt. The more I look at this 2nd shot, the more I like it, though:

chloe_tilt2.

chloe_tilt3.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    WooHaa! I don't know what freelensing is yet but if it's anything as addictive as freebasing I am sure it will catch on.

Love the work Jordan, as always.

Bokeh D

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    :rofl: :rofl:

Great pictures. I too am curious as to what freelensing is... :confused: 

Edit:
    Ok, just looked it up on google. Basically taking a picture with the lens detached. Way too much cat fur at my place to try that! :tongue:

4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Good place to start.... as I thought, detaching the lens.... very creative

[ame=http://www.google.ca/search?q=freelensing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek: fficial&client=firefox-a]freelensing - Google Search[/ame]

5. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks! Yeah, it's an interesting technique. The key is getting focus and tilt to work in conjunction. I've owned a tilt-shift before, so I was somewhat familiar with the process, but it's a lot harder when you aren't locking the tilt down and just handholding it in front of the camera. It works, though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.