1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Freelensing with the FD 50/1.4

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jman, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    So I tried freelensing with my FD 50/1.4 tonight. Was an interesting experience. Definitely a little crazier than using a true tilt-shift, but somewhat similar results. I barely missed focus here, putting the focus slice just a little to far down, but it gives you the idea. :) I then cross-processed it to complete the vibe, though the tonality was similar, given the reduced contrast from some light intrusion into the light box.

chloe_tilt.

And two more. The last one is kind of a throwaway shot, but it shows what happens with strong downward tilt. The more I look at this 2nd shot, the more I like it, though:

chloe_tilt2.

chloe_tilt3.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    WooHaa! I don't know what freelensing is yet but if it's anything as addictive as freebasing I am sure it will catch on.

Love the work Jordan, as always.

Bokeh D

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    :rofl: :rofl:

Great pictures. I too am curious as to what freelensing is... :confused:

Edit:
    Ok, just looked it up on google. Basically taking a picture with the lens detached. Way too much cat fur at my place to try that! :tongue:

4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Good place to start.... as I thought, detaching the lens.... very creative

[ame=http://www.google.ca/search?q=freelensing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a]freelensing - Google Search[/ame]

5. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks! Yeah, it's an interesting technique. The key is getting focus and tilt to work in conjunction. I've owned a tilt-shift before, so I was somewhat familiar with the process, but it's a lot harder when you aren't locking the tilt down and just handholding it in front of the camera. It works, though!