1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Free PhotoDirector from Cyberlink, a Lightroom Competitor.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by lenshoarder, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    This is Windows only software.....

I guess I have the first piece of feedback to offer them......

Just on MU-43 alone, from the user Poll.

Mac Only 49.39%
    Mac Run Windows Virtual 8.54%
    Machines Running Both 15.85 %

73.78% of our members operate Macs.....

I'd send them the data, but they probably don't really care...

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Thanks for the link. I've been looking for something like this. I can gladly give some feedback in exchange for free use of some software.

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Think Apple would care if I asked them to port Aperture to Windows? ;)

Though I think it would be a good idea for them to do so.

BTW Alan, like my shiny new Mu-43 app posts from my shiny new iPad? :D

4. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Richard,

I wish Apple would port Aperture over. I'n not a fan of any single platform software... frustrating in todays world.

Same with Microsoft and ActiveX controls.. pain in the backside to have a plugin that ONLY works in Internet Exploder... Explorer.

I guess Apple can offer the excuse that it makes their platform more desirable to the arts etc. But, I see no excuse for a third party company cutting out a huge market segment..

Not just Apple users, Linux, Unix, Ubuntu, etc. et al.

Alan

ps. There's no way to NOT enjoy and iPad and MU-43 :smile:

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    ... And how much of the camera market share is µ4/3?
    G

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    small.

I owned an Apple for a couple years.....I never felt like it was intuitive and when it died (literally a month after the 2 year warranty), I gladly chucked it and have been a PC guy ever since. But I'm with Alan, I don't like programs that are platform specific.

I understand that many (maybe most) professionals in the image business are Apple users, but I'm not a professional and my guess is that most professionals have good imaging software and don't want a dumbed down Lightroom. I downloaded the software and it works fine.....doesn't do any special that my 5 year old Elements (or anybody else's full blown suite of programs) can't already do.

Definitely worth it for free, but I continue to fail to see why people pay for being able to adjust lighting and color. Seriously.

7. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Gary,

I'm not sure what that's got to do with the price of cheese.

To bring out a new product in the art world and keep it on one platform isn't showing the brightest light IMHO. Unless they plan to bundle with DELL / HP / Lenovo or some other marketing scheme...

When MS and Apple want to give something away with their OS as a "value added" see Access and iPhoto as examples, I get it, don't like it, but I do get it.

If they're looking for straight up sales... these days. There are lots Of OS choices, it's not even OS X vs. Windows.

I do see this a lot with POS applications as they have a deeply imbedded base of inexpensive Windows hardware available for the end user. Even there though, companies like 4D, Postgres, Openbase, etc. are finding more templates being created for X platform use. I do like that!

Kind of like a new tire company only making tires that fit on a Ford..

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I appreciate your zeal, Alan. And when I'm a fan of something, I'll go to bat for them, too......not that they need it. But this analogy is REALLY over-reaching. I'm mainly just rattling your cage for fun, but if we use this out-of -date sales graphic Automotive industry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it's more like a new tire company only making tires that fit on a Ford, Hyundai, BMW, Mazda, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Honda, Nissan, Fiat, Kia, Volvo and Porsche. Admittedly, they will not be able to sell to every person on the planet, but by focusing on one group, perhaps they better get the end user what they want.

OK, now you can call me a smart-ass:thumbup:..... because I actually agree with you more than I disagree.

9. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Luke,

I don't want to have a Mac vs. PC debate, not here anyway.

We're talking about imaging software, and we're talking about 2011.

I've been in the business long enough to remember when Aldus Pagemaker was a Mac only application.

When all the Mac users.... used MS Word, and the PC people used Wordperfect!

I'm arguing toward X Platform software as often as humanly possible... which frankly should be just about every time.. Every box you buy (within reason) is running Intel Chips... the day of companies saying it was too costly to code for the Motorola chip is long past.

Heck, my 3 year old MacBook Pro runs Windows 7 in the background like it's an email client application.... I sure don't see why any upstart company trying to capture ANY portion of the imaging market couldn't code software to run on both...

Cheers, Alan

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Alan - I am sure you understand the logic, especially when one does not have unlimited resources, of:

1) Getting a product out the door ASAP in order to start the revenue flow back to the company;

2) Getting a product out the door ASAP in order to beat other similar products; and

3) Getting a product into the largest market first.

Maybe a Mac based program is in the wings, but the PC was developed first with the Mac program to be introduced tomorrow, or next week or in 30 days.

I would think that the company purchased a scientific market survey to determine which market segment to target. Based upon that survey the marketing plan is developed ... and it looks as if the company determined that Windows OS would address 1,2 and 3 above with the highest chance of generating the most sales dollars with the least expense.

We really don't know why the product is marketed to Windows first or solely, but I suspect it is the above. Maybe, the survey indicated that the Windows OS users were more likely to try a new product than Mac OS ... Maybe ... Ad infinitum ... Ad nauseam

G

11. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    You answered your own question. Why do you need an OS X version if you are running Windows 7 in a window? You can run the Windows version can't you?

Being a developer, I progam first for the biggest market. For PC's that's Windows. For tablets, that's iOS. So it makes sense that programs like this come out on Windows first. I worked for a company that made a product that's was/is used in all the major TV networks and quite a few movie studios. It was a Windows product. We never made a Mac version. No one ever asked for it.

Oh by the way, Cyberlink is hardly an "upstart". They were early on in the HTPC market. For years, they had arguably the best DVD playback solution. They're 24 years old. In tech, that makes them ancient.

12. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

OK, I tried that software. It seems to be relatively successful copy of Lightroom. I didn't spend much time with it, but if I wouldn't obtain a LR3 licence already, I would seriously consider this one (as being free for now). I think that everybody who doesn't own an Aperture or Lightroom should try this one.

13. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Prefer to stay away from the world of viruses, malware, spyware, trojan horses..etc. available when taking Windows online. No need for a Barracuda, or Sonic wall etc et all in a SOHO to medium business environment. Eliminates one more monthly subscription cost for small business, studios etc.

I use Windows to Program Nortel / Avaya BCMS... which had begun to use ActiveX controls... which is Explorer only. So, rather than carry two laptops... Windows on the MacBook Pro.. used only when connected to the

Thankfully Nortel / Avaya's newer version of the BCM software takes advantage of J*Va. (can't get that word in text here) So I'm able to slowly transition away .....

Which application was that? Professional curiosity.

Among my client base I've managed to include several INDIE film makers, TV studios , full support for set department designers including Tony and Emmy award winners. I've been at this for a long long time. I see dedicated machines on both OS's often due to software compatibility issues, or worse, hardware designs requiring serial connectors or equally bad design models.... but I don't see many smiling faces when this occurs....

I'm not sure how many businesses, studios, designers etc call the developer to complain... once the software is developed you know where the developer stands...

I can tell you that they do complain to the consultant who buys it..... As in what's up with this? Isn't there something else we can do?

Yup they made their bones in the video playback world, in the past all (that I know of) of their developing was on the Windows side. Most of their apps are clever, but have been eroded by OS add ons, and shareware downloads. Wasn't Power Director a big hit for them?? That was well regarded as I recall.

Anyhow...... :horse:

14. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I also downloaded PhotoDirector and spent a bit of time on it, and it's actually very good. My one gripe would be the apparent lack of keyboard shortcuts....