Free Photo Storage Website?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RobR, Jan 21, 2014.

1. RobR

RobR Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Robert Reinhardt
    Although I keep all my files stored onto my hard drive (and backed up on a 1TB SSD in the basement), I have been using ImageShack to store the photos I've want to post here for the past two years now. Suddenly, I get a notification that they are now going to charge money to upload images. Do you have any suggestions for a site hat will keep my images for free that I should switch to?
    https://imageshack.us/user/giallo_fly

2. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    I would say that Flickr could be a possibility since they now offer up to 1TB of free storage but I've suspected that someday they are going to do something similar (eventually charge for storage) and if you have a sizable amount of photos on their site it will be costly either in time or money to move them or keep them there if/when they do it... If you're willing to chance it, then it could be an option...

• Like Like x 1
  3. RobR

RobR Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Robert Reinhardt
    I've been considering using Flickr and that's the route I'll most likely take, unless someone proposes something better.

Nice photos, by the way!

• Like Like x 1
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Flickr used to charge for storage - and caused outrage by doing away with their old business model. I still have a grandfathered paid account, and intend to keep prolonging. 25 bucks a year for unlimited storage is just fine for me...

5. RobR

RobR Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Robert Reinhardt
    Thanks guys. I don't think I'll be going near the 1TB limit any time soon, so the free version should suffice for me.

6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    If you are happy with imageshack, why not stay with them? From what I can tell, their subscription is only $1/month for image uploading.

7. RobR

RobR Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Robert Reinhardt
    Mostly because as a student, I need to keep my finances in check.

8. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick

I forgot to mention that I also use dropbox for my best photos, I'm a bit behind on updating them but I try to keep my RAW keepers and a full size processed JPEG version of them as well. Since they turn out to be a small percentage of my total photos, the few GB's that dropbox offers for free isn't too bad. I think the combination of that and Flickr is a pretty good free combination.

• Like Like x 1