free MMF-1 adapter arrived.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by marlof, Jul 15, 2010.

1. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    In Europe, registered E-system users can participate in a promotion where you receive a free MMF-1 adapter if you add a PEN to your camerabag. It was just the push I needed, so I jumped in. So far I've been using my E-P1 mainly with the 17 2.8 and 20 1.7, but now I could add my exisiting lens collection.

Of those, I'm highly impressed with the usability of the Panasonic Leica 14-150 on my PEN. The ergonomics remind me of my Sony F828 of late: grip the big lens with your left hand, and use your right hand not so much for stabilization but for settings and shutter release. Focus speed is not that bad. Highly workable, and nice results.

The PanaLeica 25 1.4 drives me mad on the PEN with the constant aperture clicking at large apertures (where the PEN stops down for live view, to open up for metering etc, etc).

The 50 Macro makes a lot of racket and is slow to focus, but small and gives nice results.

The 50-200 works, but the holding gets too awkward (that lens is quite heavier than the 14-150) to my taste. Even though I was positively surprised by the focus speed, it still was slow. Just not as slow as I expected.

I didn't test the 12-60 yet.

All in all, I'm quite happy. I've added the 14-150 with MMF-1 to my Bare Bones Bag, together with the E-P1, 14,42, 17 and 20. Low weight, and still prepared. ;-)
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Wow that is a sweet deal, and isn't the mmf-1 the better, metal version that was discontinued? I just received the Panasonic version last week, and bought the oly 70-300mm. AF is not spectacular, but since I knew I wouldn't be using it for sports or anything moving too quickly, it will definitely suffice (and beats waiting for the inevitably overpriced m4/3 100-300mm from panasonic!).
  3. photo owl

photo owl Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2010
    I believe they are identical apart from the badge - and are both current.

to Marlof - have you tried the 25/1.4 for video? I was pleasantly surprised at how well the 30/1.4 performed in really low light. Oh - and the 12-60 works well all round.
  4. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

I too have just received my free MMF-1 adaptor. As it was part of the deal with an EP-1 + 27mm Zuiko + VF-1 for 399 GBP from Jacobs in Liverpool - I think I've got a pretty incredible deal. I already have an EPL-1 and the MMF-2 and the two adaptors look identical (except for the colour) but the MMF-1 weighs 83g against the MMF-2's 78g and feels more solid (it's metal). Now I have the dilemma of whether to sell one of them (and further offset that great deal) or keep both - one for each body (the EP-1 is silver, the EPL-1 black). At the moment I'm only using the 4/3 40 - 150 from my E300.
  5. timbo74

timbo74 New to Mu-43

Aug 7, 2010
    hello, MARLOFF I am timbo new member, nice to meet you guys. I was pleasantly surprised to read these notes, but at the same time delighted, I am just about to settle a deal on an EPL1. OR 2. do you think you could write me an email where can i get the free MMF-1 adaptor please. I COULDNT BELIEVE IT WHEN I READ IT. WELL DONE GUYS.
  6. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I got the adaptor on Thursday alas no use to me so I am going to sell it :) good deal though.
  7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I have the plasticy light-weight MMF-2 but at least its black :biggrin:.

Yes most of the excellent 4/3 lenses are a disappointment on :43: due to the CDAF used. I sold all my 4/3 glass for this reason.
  8. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    marlof, any chance you could show us a photo of your Pen with the PanLeica 14-150?