1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Free LR4 for people that bought LR3 recently or who want LR4 for cheap.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by lenshoarder, Mar 6, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I posted this in the S&T thread last week, but thought I'd post a separate thread for people who didn't buy S&T.

To anyone who's bought LR3 in the last couple of weeks. Now that LR4 is imminent, call up Adobe and ask for the free complimentary upgrade to LR4. Here's Adobe policy.

Upgrade policy after new product announcement

This includes people that bought the Student and Teacher edition. Adobe will tell you that version isn't eligible. Point out that in the document that it specifically says the Student and Teacher edition is eligible. People have done this with success.

Here's what it says under eligiblity.

"•You must have a single-user retail, volume license, or educational version of an Adobe software "

Also, nothing keeps you from buying LR3 for cheap ($70 or so) now and getting the free upgrade to LR4 and thus saving $80 over the LR4 price of $150.

2. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I just upgraded -- I've been a Lightroom user since LR 1 or 2 (can't remember now) and was thinking about taking a pass on this one but it looks like a good enough change. If you can get LR 3 cheap and upgrade to LR 4 for free, I highly recommend it.

3. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Thank you for posting this. I recently bought Lightroom 3 from B&H. It was back-ordered but finally arrived last week.

From the link above, I used Live Chat and got ahold of an Adobe rep within about 15 minutes. I gave him the serial number off the CD case and told him I bought it on 2/15 from B&H. They reply was:

"One is eligible for the post announce complimentary upgrade if the product has been purchased on or after the announce date which is 6 March 2012. However I see that your purchase is very close to the announce date and we can make an exception."

A case was opened and I need to provide a copy of the receipt, after which they'll mail me a new Version 4 CD. For some reason they cannot upgrade you via the download option.

So, in this case it worked out but it appears their official policy cut-off is March 6. It makes sense to me that they'd do this to keep customers happy. Hopefully it will work out for others the same way.

4. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
    First time posting here.

I just chatted with an Adobe rep and he confirmed that LR3 bought on 2/15 is eligible for the complimentary upgrade. He even gave me a choice of box or download copy.

Anyway, I've just uploaded the invoice PDF using their MyAdobe portal. We shall see how soon this gets processed.