Free Lightroom Beta 5!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by witchcraftz, Apr 17, 2013.

1. witchcraftz

witchcraftz Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    As Noted by some other people: This is free until the full version comes out at some unknown point later, then this version will stop working.

We’ve been working hard on the next version of Lightroom, and now we’re giving our customers a chance to try out some of the new technology available with the release of Lightroom 5 beta. Since the initial Lightroom public beta release in 2006, we’ve learned a tremendous amount through a collaborative dialogue with our customers, and I’m excited to continue that collaboration to receive feedback on the Lightroom 5 beta.

With this release, our goal was to add some highly-desired features that allow photographers to quickly process and enhance their images. We’ve added more robust healing options, the ability to create off-center vignettes, and a one-click auto perspective correction tool. We’ve also added the ability to edit photos when not connected to your original images. Each of these improvements is a result of feedback provided by the Lightroom community. Thank you.

Lightroom 5 beta Now Available! | PHOTOSHOP.COM BLOG

2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    2 questions: 1) I have a Mac, is the beta available for Apple computers as well? and 2) I've never used any previous LR editions before 2 but I am assuming there is a way for me to transfer all the saved settings on my edited photos? Thanks!

3. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Yes its available for Mac.
    Normally you can just upgrade your library, however, for the betas, they don't allow you to do that (probably a good idea to prevent bugs wiping out the file).

4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    That does make sense. I'll download it and give it a whirl then. First I need to take more pictures. :biggrin:

5. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I think it's a little misleading to call this 'free'. If its like the usual Adobe betas, this version will stop working at some point. It's more 'free trial' than 'free software'...

6. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    It is a free trial and not strictly free. But why choose to focus on that? It's free until the new version is made available. It's still getting a service without having to pay for it. Adobe will go bankrupt if they were to continue to let people use this even after the real 5.0 version comes out. :tongue: I think of it as getting the new E-P5 on loan indefinitely. I'm sure no one would refuse getting that opportunity, for example. :biggrin:

7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Are you a member of the Lightroom development team?

--Ken

8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    crud, i need mountain lion for the LR5 beta. :(

9. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I didn't say it wasn't a good thing, I just didn't want anyone thinking it was really free. Some people may not know that the Adobe betas are time limited. If I started a thread titled 'Free Photoshop CS6!', don't you think someone would pick me up on it? (You can get that 'free' for 30 days).

10. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Haha, I suppose you're right. :th_salute:

11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Great timing on this as I've lately been seriously considering finally upgrading to LR4 (from LR3.6). Now it looks like I may be able to skip LR4 altogether assuming that the LR5 upgrade pricing will apply to LR3 as well as LR4 owners.

I just made $75 bucks -- now I've got to figure out what to spend my new windfall on. :smile:

12. witchcraftz

witchcraftz Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    Alright I updated my thread to reflect the fact it's a time limited beta, but it's still a cool tool to use for the next few months. :)

Just wanted to share with those who were considering buying lightroom, this a good opportunity to see LR5 in action. And I'm in no way affiliated with the LR team, I just enjoy using their software.

13. a1lama

a1lama New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2012
    Thanks OP!