Free Lightroom alternative

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by nirok, Nov 27, 2015.

1. nirok

nirok Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Hey, I am using Lightroom on my computer but unfortunately my computer crashed.. does anyone have any recommandation for a free photo editing programm (raw) that will be similar to Lightroom? just for couple of days until i buy a new computer...

Windows by the way... Many Thanks!

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    If you're using Olympus, try Olympus Viewer 3. It covers the bare basics and works well within its limitations. I guess the Lumix free software will keep you going if that's the camera you're using.

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
  4. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You can install Lightroom on multiple computers with the same licence (so long as it's still a single user).

6. nirok

nirok Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Thank you guys for the help, I guess i just use Picasa for couple of days

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    RawTherapee is good and powerful. It doesn't have masking, but I also use GIMP (also free).

Barry

8. excman

excman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Odsherred, Denmark,
    Jorgen
    There are some problems with Lightroom 6 and Windows 10.
    Twice my PC crashed and I had to reinstall Lightroom. But still not running.
    In my spare PC is Lightroom frozen - no life anymore.
    Hope soon a solution comes from Adobe or Microsoft.
    Some good advice from here?

9. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I tried and liked LightZone, its interface is interesting with the ability to adjust the light curve in a different way. Scarab Labs also has a program that was free early on; I haven't checked in recently to see how it has progressed.

10. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I have tried both RawTherapee and Lightzone, and while I like them very much, neither are a 1:1 replacement for Lightroom.

RT does an excellent job of raw conversion, and has a very basic photo organizer attached, but has limited (compared to Lr) ability to do edits. Don't get me wrong, it can do a LOT editing wise, but is is NOT Lr. I would say it is ideal front end for a person who doesn't need a powerful organizer but needs SOME organizing abilities, and who already has a third party editor to do that sort of edits that Lr seems to be moving towards.

Lightzone also does an excellent raw conversion, and while it has no organizer capabilities at all, it does incorporate a fairly decent 100% 16 bit color depth editing capability roughly comparable to PS Elements. I would say it is good for the person who has his or her organizing needs met (or doesn't need any organizing capabilities) and who is looking for a good combined raw developer and raw editor.

As much as I like these two titles, and I do promote them both when I get a chance, when I decided to leave Lightroom behind, I settled on the commercial product ACDSee Pro 6 and have recently upgraded to ACDSee Ultimate 9. U9 Has a Powerful organizer, an excellent raw developer (that I think does a first rate job on ORF files), and ALSO has a pretty complete 16 bit color depth editor that does layers and directly supports both 32 bit and 64 bit photoshop plugins. (no more set up as an external editor with 'round trips')

I think to get a good replacement for Lr, you will need to get a commercial product and use the free trial to cover that down time you expect.

11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I run Lightroom CC on a Windows 10 PC and it works flawlessly. Have you reinstalled and run updates before trying to use?

Have you contacted Adobe? Maybe the crash or incomplete de-installation has left some residue that's causing problems.

12. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Fwiw, DigiKam and DarkTable are both free DAMs (organizers). They also have RAW editing.

I use DigiKam as a DAM, but I still use rawtherapee for RAW editing (and GIMP for advanced editing).

Barry

13. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    How's that working out for you?

14. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  15. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I installed digikam and I had to do a system restore to get it removed. It has a nonfunctional uninstaller. It basically uses a UNIX emulator to function. Not recommended on windows.

16. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Have you updated to the latest update of v.6?

--Ken

17. excman

excman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Odsherred, Denmark,
    Jorgen
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  18. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Yes, you are correct. There have been a lot of users having problems recently under W10. Their are a number of culprits, including graphics cards and bad versions of LR. I would recommend searching/posting here: Lightroom Forums . This is a very friendly and helpful forum for LR users having issues. Victoria is a great host/moderator, and the other moderators and experts are very helpful. Folks there can help you troubleshoot when you are ready and able.

Good luck,

--Ken

19. excman

excman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Odsherred, Denmark,
    Jorgen
    Thank you Ken
    I will look at this block for help.
    Jorgen

20. amphibulous

amphibulous Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2015
    Should they be? When you're not paying for software it makes sense to use apps for specific purposes instead of multitools. That way 3 image management apps, 3 raw developers, and 3 retouchers give 27 possibilities - you pick the tool you like for each stage. The same effort in multitool app development would give only 3 choices; if you liked A's raw development B's management and C's retouching you'd be screwed.