1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Free Ebook for street photography

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by NicolasGOD, Aug 7, 2011.

1. NicolasGOD

NicolasGOD Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Riyadh, KSA / France
    found this on the net, while following hie blog, a nice photographer and a good book to read.

85mm Street Photography

• Like Like x 17
  2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing. The book and his web site are fantastic - for me an inspiration to get into Street Photography. Started reading the book and got to the part about what lens is best. This guy definitely gets the quote of the month!

There is also dependence between the focal length of your camera and your balls. Generally I tend to say that

"The shorter your focal length is, the bigger your balls have to be…"

• Like Like x 1
  3. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    "...95% of my street photos with my Lumix GF1 and a 20mm pan-cake lens."

Interesting book, thanks Nic!

4. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Well, my balls aren't too big LOL. I use 24 28 and 35 (85% of the time with the 28mm)

Sent from my iOS using Mu-43 App

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Nah, mine either. I shoot with the same 24, 28, and 35 and did a whole bunch of street photography last week with the very wide end of the Oly 9-18. You need a certain attitude, but I don't think its balls - you're not really putting a lot on the line, after all. Its not like, "I'm bringing a gun to a knife fight", its more like, very WORST case, I'm bringing a camera to a stare-down. It just doesn't feel lethal. Never been assaulted with more than a whispered insult. Which I seem to be able to take.

-Ray

6. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Not in NYC!

You don't live in NYC - I've heard of people shot for much less! Take a photo of any children and you might get accused of some unthinkable things. Things have changed over the past few years.

7. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've shot (cameras!) in NYC on a few occasions. I wish I had more opportunities to do it. Because, in my opinion, its one of the easiest places to do close-in street photography. Because so many of the streets are so crowded all the time, people are used to having a lot of total strangers very close to them and some of those people, being tourists, are gonna have cameras and even be using them. People rarely look directly at each other, so if I'm taking a photograph, the people I'm generally shooting only see it in the most peripheral way and it doesn't seem to occur to them that they might have been the subject of my photo.

I'm sure there are places and people you can run into in NYC and anywhere else who would do you harm for looking at them funny, let alone taking their photograph. But the huge, enormous, vast majority of people will barely notice, let alone care. And the more crowded the area the better. And the more tourists who are floating around with cameras, the better, because you could seem to be one of them, and that might even be PART of what you're doing.

Bottom line is its a little scary at first, but if you keep doing it for a while, you get over it, you realize you're just another person out on the street and nobody's looking to bother you unless they're looking to bother you, and having a camera in your hand or not really doesn't have any impact on those who are already looking to bother you.

To misuse a statistic that's misused all the time, 'you're more likely to get killed every time you get in your car than you are from a lifetime of street photography'. But you get in your car a few times every single day!

-Ray

8. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    You want fun? Try it in Detroit. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm sure there are neighborhoods in every city where I wouldn't be comfortable doing street photography, but those are probably neighborhoods where I wouldn't be comfortable spending time in the first place. I suspect that if there are still busy streets in the commercial district in downtown Detroit, I'd be comfortable enough to shoot some photos. I do it in Philly a lot and nobody's ever accused Philly of being an overly civilized or low key place. They throw snowballs at Santa Clause, remember!

Anywhere I'd be comfortable going without a camera I'd likely be comfortable going WITH a camera. There are lots of places I clearly wouldn't be comfortable going in the first place...

-Ray

10. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I agree with Ray, most people in busy NYC neighborhoods are tolerant (except, you know, for the intolerant kind), being used to tourists and all kinds of other people around. You can get a dirty look but, then again, you can get it for crossing somebody's path too, everybody's used to it :smile:

11. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    First of all, thanks Nicolas, for sharing the site and the book.

Agree with Ray and Zetta - - I shoot a lot in NYC, and while I don't always use a wide and go in close, generally I have found people are tolerant, even oblivious, given how common it is to see people walking aroudn with cameras. It's precisely in such an environment where our :43: P&S look-alikes shine--the less obtrusive and more amateurish-looking the camera, the better! :smile:

12. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Thanks for the link. The book looks interesting. Even though people in Rome are not murderous to street photographers, I admit to being a bit shy about taking photos of strangers. Think it has more to do with too much politeness training as a child. My nads are of sufficient calibre, thank you very much.

I guess I should try a bit more. After all there are tons of tourists in Rome so if I just use a longer lens and act a bit dazed and dumb, perhaps...

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  13. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Been reading through this at work after finding a link on another forum, lovely book and really wants me to give street photography a go!

14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Dont forget bruce gilden Shoots in the streets of NY... Close up... With flash too! (dunno what focal length though... Maybe a 35mm)

Sent from my iOS using Mu-43 App

15. orsetto

orsetto Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2011
    Great book. Thanks for sharing!

16. NicolasGOD

NicolasGOD Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Riyadh, KSA / France
    If you think NYC or Detroit are dangerous for Street photogrpahy, try Riyqdh, here people are crazy, if you get caught by police taking photos in the street you'll go to police station and will spend from 2 to 4 h, it happen to me already, here people are so damm to STUPID .....
    and trust me that trying to explain to a policeman who barely speak english, what you are doing with these shots is not an easy story.
    5 years ago I worked in Bagdad, and was less dangerous than here ....

17. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Ah, but we've to be tolerant and understanding of their culture, beliefs, customs and way of life....................................... always struck me as strange why this never applies in reverse! :rolleyes:

18. NicolasGOD

NicolasGOD Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Riyadh, KSA / France
    I fully agree with you ....
    But ... when you see such kind of things Why do some Saudis hate expatriates?

19. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    In my experience the attitude things is important. I adjust a little according to where I am (sometimes a more touristy pose...) and try to be sensitive to cultures. I also talk to people when necessary. Overall though, confident body language and a ready smile are usually sufficient.

My street lens is usually the 20, sometimes the 14. I use various techniques and tools according to the shot. It's so fast and easy to change settings - so sometimes I will use face-detect, sometimes zone focus, or shoot from the hip and of course just stand and aim...

20. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    When i shoot street in foreign land, which obviously gives you more time to prepare and actually try to read and understand a little of the country being visited so that im more of a spectator and contributor to the image rather than a stalker

Again,thats just me though :D