FREE E-M1X (with purchase of $5700 in Pro Lenses at Adorama)

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Based on Adoram's list price for the individual lenses, you'd be paying about $400 for the 1X. That ain't bad!

tkbslc

Super Moderator
You can also choose the E-M1 III or E-M1 II as your free camera, but that would be silly.

It's a great deal if you were switching over to a full pro kit whole hog, but most people dip their toes in a little more slowly before dropping $6k.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
A friend of mine who is a long-time Nikon shooter and who had recently picked up a Z6 or Z7 (not sure which), suddenly decided to buy the 3-lens package and get an EM1X, plus a 60 macro. I was shocked. He said he wanted it as a supplement to his existing Nikons for landscape/birds, and macros. Which, actually, is mostly what he shoots. I was showing him how I was getting focus-stacking in-camera with my Olympus, and I think that's one of the things that convinced him. His Nikons can't do that. This package is perfect for someone jumping into M43 for the first time. It is a heck of a deal, but for those of us who own some of this already, it's not that compelling. But, Olympus is gonna sell some stuff with this deal, no question.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I got the email for this deal directly from Olympus, so not an Adorama exclusive. The weird thing about the deal is you pay the same for the three lenses regardless of which of the three bodies you choose. I can not imagine anyone taking the E-M1.2 over the E-m1.3 of the E-M1x all things being equal. Per the Olympus web page you save $3k with the "x", $1800 with the mark 3, and $1700 with the mark 2. I can see people giving up $200 for the mark 3 if they don't want the form factor of the "x", but shouldn't they give the mark 2 choice a bonus $100 more off or something?

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I got the email for this deal directly from Olympus, so not an Adorama exclusive. The weird thing about the deal is you pay the same for the three lenses regardless of which of the three bodies you choose. I can not imagine anyone taking the E-M1.2 over the E-m1.3 of the E-M1x all things being equal. Per the Olympus web page you save $3k with the "x", $1800 with the mark 3, and $1700 with the mark 2. I can see people giving up $200 for the mark 3 if they don't want the form factor of the "x", but shouldn't they give the mark 2 choice a bonus $100 more off or something?
Agreed. That is a bit strange. For the best bang for the buck, you'd obviously pick the X, but what if that form factor doesn't appeal to you? Take the III and lose out on $1,200 in potential savings? Very curious. Seems like they're desperate to reduce stock. I just got a III, and I already have the 40-150, so I'm not a candidate for this deal. I suppose I could buy in (if I had the cash rolling around), but then have to find buyers for the stuff I didn't need. Curious.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Best prices on eBay for the 40-150/2.8 (which I own) are about $950, and the E-M1X about $1900. I might clear $2,700, so I’d be getting the 8-18 and 300/4 for $3,000. The 300/4 is $2,750 and the 7-14 is $1,250. So the deal could save me $1,000 if I wanted those two lenses anyway.

But I don’t.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
I'd personally go the 1x every time, especially with the 150-400 looming. 1200 dollars is a lot of extra saving over the 1iii. Room to move on the on-sell price if that was what you were thinking.

I already have the 40-150 pro, so I'd be looking to sell off that part of the kit, and I have the 8-18 so I'm not sure if I'd want the 7-14.

It's all academic though, I'm in Australia and won't be getting this deal anyway.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Does the deal work if you buy those lenses at the current sale price? 7-14 retail is $1,400 (sale $1,250), 40-150 is $1,500 ($1,350), and 300 f4 is $2,900 ($2,750). I suppose that since those prices are set by Olympus USA, sale prices count. You'll have to take a bit of a loss during resale.
It probably doesn’t. These things rarely work unless you actually want the merchandise on for.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Does the deal work if you buy those lenses at the current sale price? 7-14 retail is $1,400 (sale $1,250), 40-150 is $1,500 ($1,350), and 300 f4 is $2,900 ($2,750). I suppose that since those prices are set by Olympus USA, sale prices count. You'll have to take a bit of a loss during resale.
Ah, I took a look at the special deal again. You have to buy all three lenses at full retail price to get the free body. Sale prices on the lenses don't apply. Well, that's not a surprise.
https://www.43rumors.com/crazy-deal...-get-one-omd-camera-for-free-e-m1x-or-e-miii/
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1565941-REG/olympus_om_d_e_m1x_mirrorless_digital.html

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What they are really doing is selling a kit at a fixed priced with your choice of body. So rather than thinking of it as buying these three lenses at full price and getting a free body, think of it as a kit of four things and depending which body you pick you get a different discount off the kit. How you want to apply the saving in your own mind is up to you (you can pretend you bought the body and got a discount off all lenses or you bought the body and two lenses and got one free, etc.).

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
The 1x is a good body for the 300. Since most buyers (especially those who can lay out this kind of cash) will already have an high end OMD Olympus body, the other lenses can go on that. It's an expensive deal but an amazing one nonetheless. I have to admit I'm a little baffled as to why anyone would pick an EM1 ii. I'd love to be the one doing the unboxing video for this one. I'd start with the shipping box. :biggrin:

Last edited:
It is obviously only for people who have no m43 gear at all. How many m43 users that have a body and lens want to get another body and 3 pro lenses? not too many, because they probably have 1 of the 4 items, and thus the deal gets worse. Have 2 of them and it is worse again.

So NEW people to m43 can get a great deal. All new pieces, no used this or that price. If you want used, you can do this and that and nitpick to find a comparable deal, but it ain't new.

What I don't get is what about all of us who have a lot of gear? The ones who have the 9-18 and would love a 7-14 pro, or have the 40-150 with a 1.4x tele and would love the 300mm pro instead... but can't make that leap? How about tossing us a 50% off sale? Olympus wants new customers to the system and that makes perfect sense, but if I had all 4 pieces (thinking E-M1X) and spent retail or close for all, then there is the great save $2700 deal here, it looks pretty crappy. When did they sell those 3 lenses and the M1X each for about $700 off? Never.

50% off of retail price? Unless they are closing the business, may be. I don't ever recall something like that for optics/imaging device from any manufacturer on a current production model.

The highest discount I ever saw on expensive electronics was when Walmart decided to shutter Sams Club in my area and then they sold open box iPads and laptops and Sony A6000s for 40% off in a jiffy. Boy o boy that was a crazy time. Probably the most exciting ever in Sams club's history.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
It is obviously only for people who have no m43 gear at all. How many m43 users that have a body and lens want to get another body and 3 pro lenses? not too many, because they probably have 1 of the 4 items, and thus the deal gets worse. Have 2 of them and it is worse again.

So NEW people to m43 can get a great deal. All new pieces, no used this or that price. If you want used, you can do this and that and nitpick to find a comparable deal, but it ain't new.

What I don't get is what about all of us who have a lot of gear? The ones who have the 9-18 and would love a 7-14 pro, or have the 40-150 with a 1.4x tele and would love the 300mm pro instead... but can't make that leap? How about tossing us a 50% off sale? Olympus wants new customers to the system and that makes perfect sense, but if I had all 4 pieces (thinking E-M1X) and spent retail or close for all, then there is the great save $2700 deal here, it looks pretty crappy. When did they sell those 3 lenses and the M1X each for about $700 off? Never.
They're obviously trying to draw well-heeled new Olympus users. I agree, I wish they offered a great discount to those of us who have already invested in the system. Maybe 25% off on any single item in the catalog?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom