1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Free DMC-G3 User Guide eBook - Chapter 3 Ready for Download

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rgeorge911, May 28, 2012.

1. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Hi there,

I have been writing an eBook about how I use the DMC-G3, and think it may be useful to many of you. I just posted Chapter 3, on focusing (both AF and MF). The first two chapters are an introduction, external settings, and menu settings.

They're all available free at:

DMC-365 - My Year with Lumix Camera Equipment: Chapter 3 of My eBook on the G3 Is Now Available For Free Download!

I hope you find it interesting! Writing it has taught me many things about this great little camera.

Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

• Like Like x 6
  2. MartinOcando

MartinOcando Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Panama
    Your guides are very useful and very informative. Being an old timer like yourself, I find myself using the same AF modes you use. But is always nice to know all what your G3 can provide.
    One tiny bit of advice, though. Instead of having different download for each chapter, why not keep adding the chapter to one single downloadable document? so we don't have to keep looking for different documents. One single download, and it grows as you add more content.
    I see you keep your page numbering as if you are intended to do this at the end of the series, but I think is preferable to do it already.

Just a thought.

3. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    I have just posted a comment on Your blog :) Great job! I am waiting for more and maybe I will learn some useful tricks :)

4. freedda

freedda New to Mu-43

G3 user guide

Thanks Reed. I'll take a look. This is especially useful since the manuals that come with the camera are so pathetic and in many instances, in error.

By the way, in one of the first two chapters you mention the "sensor cleaning" menu item, but you say "use only when necessary." Maybe you can tell me what you mean by this?

I have just posted a thread about how to manually clean my sensor.

Best, David

5. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Thanks Reed for doing this. It's nice to get a sense for how others use this camera, since I know I can get stuck in a rut and not branch out with all the G3 settings that are available.

One thing I thought I'd add is that when using a legacy lens, you can also activate MF ASSIST by pressing the scroll wheel. For me, anyway, it's amazing how one "button" press as opposed to two has allowed me the extra split second to capture some moments that otherwise would have disappeared. Cheers!

6. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks everyone

Glad you are all getting some use from it.

On the consolidation of chapters - I will probably pull it all together in the end, but I do put links to all earlier chapters in each post. No hunting req'd.

On the sensor cleaning - this is a built in function where the camera is supposed to clean its own sensor - a process I don't understand, especially with a lens attached - where would the dust go? But, I haven't looked into it, or used it.

Thanks for the tip on manual focus, too!

Regards,
    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

7. MartinOcando

MartinOcando Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Panama
    If it works like other sensor cleaning systems, there is supposedly a sticky strip on the lower edge of the sensor, where the dust is collected.

8. xabby

xabby New to Mu-43

Jun 1, 2012
    Tried to d/l chapter 3 but its not opening up...only about 30kbytes of data, same with the other chapters...maybe i'll try later in the day. Great effort...hope to be able to read it soon!

9. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Clear and informative!

I have read it and set my G3 up in an almost exact way to yours, as it seems a very good median to use, at least for now.

It is clear and concise, just what is needed in the light of the manual being so vague and erroneous!

:rolleyes:

This basic, but very clear manual should become every G3 users quick setup guide!

:bravo-009:

P.S. I did not want to set up a blogging account and therefore could not leave an appropriate feedback on the linked blog page! Sorry!

:tongue:

10. AlBea

AlBea New to Mu-43

Jun 26, 2012
    Hi - You have done an excellent job on the ebook. As a newbie to the G3, I found it extremely useful. As you know, the Panasonic manual for the G3 is excruciatingly painful to go through. I have rarely seen such a poor manual for any piece of equipment. It seems that the only other choice has been the excellent book written about the G2. Unfortunately, the differences in controls, buttons, etc. between the G2 and G3 make this book less than useful.

I would suggest that you seriously consider expanding your e-book to a full blown book/tutorial on the G3. You could easily market to all of the G3 users who are searching for something like this. Users would pay $$ for a good manual.

You probably have a full enough life as it is but you would certainly meet a need and make some money besides.

Again, thanks for the time and effort you put into this.

11. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    This is a great read and a must have for any G3 owner.
    Thanks so much for your work on this.

12. pazaz

pazaz New to Mu-43

Jul 2, 2012
    Wales ~ UK
    A cracking piece of work, just wish there was something similar for the GF3 as I am struggling to follow the manaul that came with the camera.

Are there any similarities between the G3 and GF3 that would allow me to use sections of your document?

If not would anyone be aware of a similar document for the GF3?

MAny Thanks

13. needmorstuff

needmorstuff New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2012
    link dead?

can anyone hook me up with a copy of this? the dropbox link doesnt seemt to work for me

14. Zertyvansy

Zertyvansy New to Mu-43

Well thanks for posting this user guide.. I was just looking for such things.
    Rest ,I will post back after reading the guide.
    Indeed your work is laudable.:bravo-009:

15. Sandireg

Sandireg New to Mu-43

Jun 16, 2013
    NSW Australia
    Hi Reed

Thanks for the ebook! Like you I am an amateur/enthusiast photographer. I've owned my Lumix G3 for approx 18 months, and I seem to be constantly confused and frustrated by the settings, so much so that after some degree of research, I was actually considering the purchase of an alternate more user friendly, DSLR. Also, as someone else mentioned, I seem to be constantly 'bumping' the buttons. I know this camera is capable of taking good photos as I have managed to prove that to myself on a few fortunate occasions, although they usually seem to lack some clarity and detail. And low light photography.... well that's another huge problem I need to get sorted!:( Anyway, hopefully this book will help somewhat.

By the way, I noticed in one of your images that you have a Nikon lens on the Panasonic camera. I was always lead to believe that Panasonic was only compatible with Olympus lenses. I can only assume you've used an adapter?

Anyway, have just finished downloading the ebook and am ready to get busy with the set-up. Wish me luck!!

Thanks again
    Sandra

16. Dogdaze

Dogdaze Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    New York
    Charlotte
    I realize that the original post about the manual was made last year. Since I am new (today) to this site I have just found this information and I cann't tell you how thrilled, excited and over whelmed I am to find this and to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I have been so frustrated this past year with my Lumix. It has been a love/hate relationship that I would not give up on. Yeah for you for writing this....Yeah for me for finding it!!!
    Thank you Reed!!!

17. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012