1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Free alternatives to Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by colbycheese, Jun 26, 2013.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    what is a good free alternative to Lightroom that can process RAW and also JPEG. Any ideas?

2. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    For free, I believe it's hard to find a complete package. You can use RawTherapee to process Raw files and Gimp to complete the edition. They are the most advanced free software I know to edit photos. On the budget you can get Paintshop Pro, from Corel. I use it and I like a lot. It can work together with plugins like Silver Efex from Nik Software.

3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    RawTherapee is a great RAW processor. But there is very minimum file management involved with RawTherapee. You just open a RAW file, and have the app do the processing.

http://rawtherapee.com/

If you're looking for a "Lightroom" replacement, on Apple or other UNIX based platforms darktable is very popular.

http://www.darktable.org/

darktable is fairly difficult to implement on Windows since there isn't a packaged install available.

4. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
  5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    For free there's RawTherapee as others mentioned.

Google's Picasa can also handle Raw and is a decent organizer that makes online sharing easier. But it is much more limited in capability when it comes to editing. Picasa (now that Google owns Nik I wonder if there will be any improvements in the future...)

And I haven't used it but it is an interesting open source project: http://www.digikam.org/download?q=download/binary/#Windows

They aren't free, but there are several different products that are cheaper competitors to Adobe:

Special Offers - ACD Systems

Photo Management Software - Corel AfterShot Pro - Formerly Bibble Pro

6. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Picasa or iPhoto depending on your OS and Gimp/Seashore for some "advanced" editing.

7. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
  8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    The combination "Digikam + Raw Therapee + Gimp" is a really comprehensive solution.

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    why not the software that comes with your camera?

Gordon

10. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    because it only runs on Windows. Useless waste of money for me.

11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Darktable has some great editing tools, but its interface is really... well... very much behind commercial software packages, to put it mildly.

12. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
  13. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm a big Digikam fan. Have used it for a few years. I'm just now getting into raw processing with it, though.

14. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Since you have an Olympus camera, if you have your camera's serial number, I'm pretty sure you can download Olympus Viewer 3, which, while slow, is quite packed with features and yields quality images.

Go to the correct Olympus site for your country, support, blah blah.

Good luck.

(I just noticed you have a G3 too, I guess that's where the problem is, sorry)

P.

15. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Yeah. It's horrid. But it does the job for a free software. Seems comparable to Digikam though. I can't find any screenshots of LightZone, anyone?

16. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I recall looking at Lightzone a few years ago, but can't recall why I dropped it. maybe cost. Anyway, take a look at this youtube video. [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRrCSlWizb8]planet5D LightZone quick overview - YouTube[/ame]

17. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
  18. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    In regards to Picasa for free Lightroom substitute. Yes it may process RAW files but, considering it has a 15gb limit for free storage, RAW files would fill this pretty quick making free a monthly cost soon for increased storage unless files were purged regularly.

19. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    You can use the Picasa client without uploading to the Picasa hosting with it's space limitation.

20. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    Hmm... I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info. I just assumed it had to be uploaded and never messed with it. Now I want to go give it a try and see what it can do.