Fraud Protection?

Discussion in 'Expired Listings' started by arf1410, Mar 15, 2014.

1. arf1410

arf1410 Mu-43 Rookie

0   0   0

Jan 25, 2014
    While I am sure most users of this forum are legitimate, I still am a bit nervous about purchasing something here. Yes, I have read the "buyers tips" section, but with PayPal, once I pay someone, and then they don't send anything, or send a broken item, is the buyer SOL, or are there any repercussions? I know eBay offers are least some buyer protection...though even that makes me a little nervous ...

2. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Full details of the Paypal buyer protection can be found here:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/buyer-protection

I'd only pay using Paypal and it pays to do a bit of research on the seller as well. Even asking for some sample shots taken with the lens will give you a bit of confidence,

3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    As long as you don't use gift paypal you are fairly well covered. Also this forum (and most like it) have a feedback system that gives another level of protection so be sure to check the prospective sellers feedback here as well as any other references. In addition never be afraid to ask for their contact info such as a home phone number to help verify their identity. When in doubt or if the deal is too good to be true... Just pass.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The short answer is that PayPal automatically favors the buyer in disputes. So long as you follow their rules (i.e. don't use gift), you're protected. If the item doesn't arrive or isn't as described, you can demand a refund through PayPal and you will almost certainly get it. No system is 100% perfect, but we do pretty well.

5. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    Everything that has been said is correct. To that, I'd add that I tend to trust more a long term contributing member of the forum than a one post wonder. I know everyone started at 1 post, but I just tend to trust more those people.
    Its quite rare for someone with bad intentions will register and actively participate in a community just to abuse of the other members.

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    The comments about PayPal are correct, but here is the bigger picture from my experience:

I have been buying used stuff on the 'net, initially on eBay, since 1998/eBay had 30 employees and no one had ever heard of it. I even have a very nice .45 caliber target pistol bought on eBay for $900 back before they stopped selling guns. Over the years I have bought hundreds of items both on eBay and on forums like this one.

Once in a very great while I get an item that is not what I had expected, though it is even rarer that it has actually been misrepresented. I have never had a situation where I thought I had been deliberately cheated.

But here's the bottom line: If you avoid buying on the forums you will probably be paying more elsewhere, a lot more if you are buying new. The total of your overpayments will soon be more than you could possibly lose from one bad deal. So the statistics are in your favor. I'd encourage you to jump right in!

• Like Like x 1
  7. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Dec 31, 2012

Paypal has buyer protection - you might want to read their policy. Also, if you pay with a credit card using Paypal you get double protection - if by some chance Paypal doesn't protect you, complain to the credit card company. Several years ago, I bought something and then the seller, an individual, stopped responding to emails. I raised a dispute with Paypal but they were only able to get whatever funds were in his Paypal account, about half of what I paid. I then raised a dispute through my credit card and they did a chargeback to Paypal. Paypal wasn't too happy about it but I figured they had access to the guy's credit card and other financials and would have a better shot at recovering the balance of the money. Anyway, I got part of it back from Paypal and the rest from my credit card company. I do a lot of buying and selling on various forums and have only had one or two problems over the course of several years and probably 40+ transactions.