gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
My colleague at work knows that I like to adapt unusual lenses so when he was at the dump getting rid of some trash he spotted a projector getting thrown out. He "dumpster-dived" and saved it. It was in good condition (optically) and I challenged myself to refit that lens.
Removing the rather hefty lens was easy: a couple of screws and I had a cradle as well.
On the scale it tipped 53oz. and 7" (1500gr. 180mm long).
The rear glass element a whopping 65mm, I was not sure if the back-focus will register longer than 19.25mm needed for Micro four thirds cameras. A quick freelens test said YES :dance4:
The hard bit was trying to "find" and adapter for it: nothing on eBay :whistling:

27873797222_a778f9d0e6_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Will it fit?_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

But I like ghetto adaptations and with the hardware store just down the road, I found some PVC plumbing pipes and fittings that cutting and Dremel-ing brought together into a nice adapter.
The lens is not small (that's typical Australian negation-style description) and using it freehand is kind of like at the gym doing free weights :frown:

27924555202_8ac10bf5a3_b.jpg
Pentax vs Sony_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

I might be wrong but my calculations and comparisons to a M.Zuiko lens reveal that it is an approximate 50-66mm lens (field of view) with an aperture (T-stop) of f1.5-ish.
To me the whole exercise is not so much in gaining a walk-around lens or a very sharp landscape one, but a proof of concept. Can any (most) lens be adapted to mirrorless? :inlove:

I will post some images taken with that lens soon

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
Normally they have the f stop indicated on the front bezel holding the first element (it should have the zoom range then the fstop in 1:x.x-y.y format, for example the SE28A-2 would be "1.3x 1:1.7-2.1").
I'm also a little surprised you could reach infinity with it, many projection lenses are designed such that they would be touching the sensor.

I always love viewing your Frakenlenses, I love the creativity needed for the end solutions.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
First samples are in, from this afternoon at a horse jumping event. Nope, I didn't use that monster on the track but around the stables.

28001538266_8869c54dea_b.jpg
Horse portrait_1_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Focusing is a real bitch since the ring is right on the tip of that huge barrel and I need to extend my fingers to grab it and turn it while supporting the lens with my palm. Yes, I could use a monopod but that makes thing too cumbersome and slow for me as I walk around and like to drop low to get some angles.
The lens is low contrast in harsh light with a distinctive glow. I think it would make a brilliant portrait lens, that's if I don't scare my subject with that objective front element of 80mm! :eek-31:
My arms are just not used to hold that kind of heft anymore (SLR days) and I don't think it will be a very versatile lens as walkaround. :confused:

27934208082_80a216dc38_b.jpg
Horse event_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

27756355580_29e431c462_b.jpg
Evening feed_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Last edited:

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
Really nice samples, the way highlights bloom reminds me a bit of film without an antihalation layer (especially in the second shot showing the sky between leaves).

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik

Crdome

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Michael
First samples are in, from this afternoon at a horse jumping event. Nope, I didn't use that monster on the track but around the stables.

Focusing is a real bitch since the ring is right on the tip of that huge barrel and I need to extend my fingers to grab it and turn it while supporting the lens with my palm.

Sounds like you need a focusing oil filter wrench.

Latest threads

Top Bottom