1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase "Frankenlens" Indunon 38mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by gnarlydog australia, Feb 29, 2016.

1. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    A bit dissatisfied by the bulk of SLR vintage lenses on a Micro Four Thirds camera I wanted to see if I can make something smaller.
    I used the optics of a Canon AF35M 38mm f2.8 ($2.99 on eBay) and transplanted it into the body of a Russian Industar 50-2 ($16). I wanted to have aperture control so I hoped the Industar would work. Industar+Canon= "Indunon" :laugh1:
    Pulled the lens bit (optics) from the plastic Canon camera. Initially I was gentle with unscrewing the plates apart, toward the end I resorted to some hammering :shakehead:

24747627283_cc42c41d4b_z. Canon guts_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Then I simply unscrewed the optical blocks from the Industar: dead simple, just with the pointy ends of a caliper. I saved the optical glass for further use (?)

25254437102_1e45810ae2_z. Industar 50-2_ donor body_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

I shaved the protruding bits of the Canon lens and luckily it fitted with 0.5mm to spare inside the body of the Industar. The optical block touches the iris mechanism but does not rub on the blades. Glued the lens with epoxy (JB Weld) making sure it was 100% square!

24745961393_6db04a213c_z. Canon optics into Industar body_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Then came the tricky part.
    My Industar was M42 and almost fitted perfectly onto a C-mount adapter for Micro Four Thirds.
    Unfortunately the flange distance of the Canon lens is approx 30mm but now it was sitting a bit further in the Industar body. I needed to shave approx 5mm from the back of the Industar body to get infinity. A lot of Dremelling and sand paper shaving, then cleaning perfectly (don't want aluminium shaving on the sensor) and trying/checking.

24742112264_87285ee6e3_z. M42 mount grinding_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Yep, 6 hours later and my lens components were ready to be glued together.

25005100549_88b80489c9_z. Franken lens_Indunon 38mm f2 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Next day quick test proved that my efforts were not totally in vane. Lens fitted to my E-P5 and took reasonable images (well, a bit sharper, brighter and wider angle than the original Industar 50-2)

25373415825_c4e147996d_b. Fence post with Indunon 38mm f2 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Oh, BTW colors out of the camera are more saturated and true to life than my processing; I just wanted to go for the whole vintage look o_O

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 7
  2. onewheeltom

onewheeltom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    Impressed am I. The lens itself looks really sharp on the camera. The picture is quite nice also.
    --tom

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    Thank you. Let me take some more images with the Indunon 38, that are not just sharpness tests, and will post them for reference.

4. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    here is an image taken with the same Frankenlens, but not mine. I got the inspiration and help from Glad Părău . His shot in a on a APS-C sensor, wider angle of view.

24310293806_6140befa95_b. Canon AF35M to E/FE by Glad Părău, on Flickr

5. Infra Steve

Infra Steve New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2016
    Steve Thompson
    Interesting idea! I like the low profile. Maybe you could use the spare optical block for a body cap lens. Maybe even a tiltshift body cap lens.

6. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    the optical block is made from two parts with a good amount of air in between. I am not sure if using a single one would work, and then there is the required distance needed for the focal plane. I am nowhere near the stage of doing any of that stuff, I am just a hack, at best.
    However using the optics from a compact point-and-shoot with flange distance much closer, a tilting lens could be made.... hmmm, I like that
    Isn't that what a Lensbaby is anyway?

7. Infra Steve

Infra Steve New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2016
    Steve Thompson
    It's more fun making it yourself in my opinion. A point and shoot would work, maybe a little d-mount lens. A body cap, drill/bit, and some tilty bits and done. I made one with an m42 adapter inner tube and Argus lens once. The main advantage is you focus on what you want so register/ flange focal distance is less of an issue. Focus on infinity or the eye of an ant depending on how long you make that tube. I'm gonna dig out that old Wollensak lens........

8. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    a few more test shots in low light situation (ISO 1000), wide open, OOC

25435938505_4d7f841241_b. P3020036 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

24805315724_dc16e77142_b. P3020005 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

the verdict is still not formulated: is this a usable lens or just an exercise in futzing around....? :doh:
    I need more images taken at ISO 200 and a bit stopped down to have a better opinion

• Like Like x 2