1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase "Frankenlens" Focalet 78mm f2.8"

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by gnarlydog australia, Mar 20, 2016.

1. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    This is my second mash-up attempt of lens elements in a different body (Frankenlens).
    My Indunon 38mm f2.8 was a bit ordinary and I wanted something a bit more exciting.
    I have seen many images of the venerable Meyer Optik Trioplan 100mm f2.8 that I really liked but the asking price of upper $800 for a beat-up vintage lens is out of my consideration.
    I have also seen many images taken with projection lenses that looked stunning and I understood the similarity there: the lens design is a simple triplet: 3 pieces of glass and air in between them :)
    So I sourced a very reasonably priced Russian lens that is called simply "Triplet 78mm/f2.8". I have not idea who the maker is or what projector was on but I hoped for the best.

I also had a box of old PK mount lenses of various focal lengths, all bought for $20, including two old Pentax SLR bodies. Glass on those lenses was in bad shape (mould) but nothing I couldn't clean if I disassembled them. Somehow a 135mm f2.8 "Focal" brand lens was OK but not great after I did clean it however I knew one day I was going to use it for a transplant project.
    The inner diameter of the barrel on the Focal lens almost could accommodate the barrel of the Russian Triplet. Some freelensing revealed that the distance for the lens block would be somewhere close to fit inside the Focal body.
    After much hand filing and hacksawing I shortened the barrel of the Triplet and was able to insert it into the Focal. Focal body+Triplet glass= Focalet :rofl:

25285472824_e42a5a1f79_c. Frankenlens#2: Focalet components_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Luck was on my side and the lens sat just in front of the iris so I could have a functioning aperture (mind you only 6 blades) :drama:
    A bit more of calculations and some more filing let me reuse the front retaining ring for the first glass element of the Focal and hold in place the Triplet's glass instead. I was even able to utilize the front bezel.

25797407142_03d2d4224e_c. Focalet on E-M1_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

The rear PK mount was unscrewed, a few camera connecting levers cut away, and replaced with a M43 C-mount adapter.
    The lens feels like a native one; no bulky adapter needed!

25797399062_5cfeac60a4_c. Focalet off E-M1_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

I have now a lens that sits perfectly on the Olympus E-M1 and the markings on the barrel at infinity match perfectly the lens' one. The other distance markings are not correct because they were meant for 135mm while the Triplet is a 78mm.
    I can focus really close but very distant subjects are bit of challenge to get them right, wide open.

But how does the lens perform?
    Better than expected.
    Rather soft and a bit glowy wide open (expected) but pretty sharp and crisp once stopped down past f4. I will not use it for landscape photography but for effect one where specular highlights with aperture wide open will create beautiful soap bubbles.:dance2:
    Portraits should also be a bit different if I separate my model from the background a bit.

This was done freelensing (bubbles are a bit oval)
    25249481094_5c68d12c6c_c. DV180020 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

and now mounted in the Focal body, wide open, OOC no edit
    25804622801_3ab6179c3d_c. DV190062 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

and stopped down to f5.6 (notice the 6 blades visible in the bokeh)
    25266915084_cfaaf2dc1b_c. DV190063 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 6
  2. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    this one is edited a bit, shot wide open
    25270887043_607671b554_b. DV190030 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

this one is OOC, shot at f5.6 (white balance set to "cloudy", a bit too warm :shakehead:)
    25266833784_aa54cac556_b. DV190043 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

• Like Like x 10
  3. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Excellent job- great project- nice one Damiano !

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

5. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I saw it a while ago when Meyer Optik (current company that holds the trademarked name) was looking to have that lens funded. It was actually that Kickstarter project's sample images that got me interested in the "soap bubbles" and consequent discovery of the original Trioplan. I eventually did get hold of a Trioplan 50mm f2.9 which I am very impressed with, performance, character and size wise. I think that a 100mm on a M43 might be just a bit too much (crop factor), then again the large bubbles might work for more distant subjects, maybe a bit like the Helios 40-2, but different.
    But the price was out of my reach and reasoning.

6. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    my distant-subject shots wide open were not that great as the lens seems to not resolve details but I like it more and more for close-ups

25509124313_dba57a28b0_b. Flower_2_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

25509136533_94e621a815_b. Flower_4_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Always impressed by your work. Very interesting lens, and great results you're getting from it!

The resemblance to the Trioplan is very close!

• Like Like x 1
  8. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    Thank you.
    There is resemblance with the Trioplan because both lenses have the same design: 3 pieces of glass and air in between.
    The Trioplan is just a fair bit sharper ;)
    My Trioplan 50mm f2.9 gives me similar bokeh, just the bubbles are smaller. I didn't feel like forking out for a decent Trioplan 100mm to get the bigger bubbles so I thought I give the projector lenses a go. This one worked to my linking.
    I ordered a second Triplet 78mm (different body) for $8 (plus $8 for delivery) to do a similar transplant. I have a feeling that my girlfriend might want to "borrow" it.
    This time I will try to separate the glass block from the tube and place it directly into a new body.

9. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    • Like Like x 3
  10. jct842

jct842 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2016
    john
    I have a meyer Trioplan 100 f2.8 that's mounted on a benzin "primarflex" that belonged to my father. I am going to see about making a way to mount it on a gx1. That camera is about 80 years old and I have pictures of my self he took when I was a rugrat. I am going to be 74 this year! The primarflex was the for-runner of the hasselblad.

11. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I looked up Primarflex and looks like a Hasselblad 6x6
    I am sure it can be done without too much drama as it has a huge flange distance compared to M43
    I would consider PVC tube for easy cutting and sanding to get correct focal distance and then maybe a bit of semi-permanent glue like polyurethane (that can be removed if necessary)
    Or go all fancy and 3D print, but my findings is that PVC is very good.
    So the lens is not altered in any way.
    BTW the 100mm f2.8 Trioplan fetches over $1000 in a more conventional mount. Some images I have seen from that lens look stunning.

12. jct842

jct842 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2016
    john
    Last night I got out the primarflex. The opening in body is about 70mm. The lens mount is a ring with a hole about 50mm. I could easily remove the 70mm ring leaving a 50mm barrel that I believe a mount out of pvc could be made. One thing is that meyer lens was made before color was used so it probably is not color corrected and could result in some weird photos. I exposed one role about 20 years ago of 120 gold kodak and it was having some spacing problems on the magazine. Don't remember where the negatives are but have an idea and will be looking.

13. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Good lenses never go out of style!
    Very sensual!

Regarding bubbles, are they not just a function of the aperture? Or, is there a shadowing or overlay of light because of the triplet design.

14. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    Thank you.
    I get bubbles on triplets (3 pieces of glass lenses) when the aperture is wide open or on some other simple optical design lenses if the iris has a high count of blades to create a round circles when stopped down. However soap bubbles with a lighter rim come from a triplet while just circles from the other lenses. But what exactly goes on inside that lens design is a mystery to me :hmmm:

15. jct842

jct842 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2016
    john
    This lens I have has the most blades I have ever seen on a lens that size. Hard to count as the uncoated lens has reflections. It has at least 16 blades and possibly more like 20! Bet there's some flare with it. Some lenses show the aperture shape in the out of focus areas. I am itching to get some sort of temp barrel on it so I can see how good it really is. Have a couple projects ahead in my shop before I can get it cleaned up to use my mini lathe and mill. I checked an old junk Pentax 50 42mm last night that is horrible that I could use its mount on my project since I have the 42/m43 adapter.

16. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    Bear in mind that if you insert a different lens block in your Pentax 50mm lens body the flange distance will change.
    My Focal 135mm was in PK mount (same flange distance as M42) but once I inserter the Triplet optics I no longer needed to have a spacer/adapter. I just used a thin C-mount to M43 adapter and fitted that on the back of the Focal body while removing the PK flange. I assume the Focal was designed for several different camera mounts where the manufacturer only had to change the rear to make it compatible.
    I was lucky that my Triplet optics would sit inside the Focal body and with some careful shaving I got it to exact infinity markings on the Focal barrel. No adapters needed to mount on my Olympus cameras :yahoo:

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    used at the beach; distant subjects were a bit fuzzy but if I used the lens not at infinity I could still get OK sharpness

27291327296_8c37a21c49_b. Kite sails_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2