1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase "Frankenlens" Back2Front Canon 26mm_ghetto edition

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by gnarlydog australia, Apr 8, 2016.

1. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    As the title implies my third attempt to refit an old lens didn't go as planned: I messed up.

Living on the glory of the previous lens transplant I wanted to try a 110 film lens from a Canon 110ED.
    The lens block is very small (about 17mm in diameter) so housing it in a big helicoid or re-purposed 35mm lens body was not right.
    I could sacrifice a Pentax-110 lens but the only one I have is perfectly OK and gives me great images.
    The solution came as PVC electrical pipe conduit fitting: a gland with threaded end and a couple of nuts.
    I glued two nuts together to get less wobble and them to a C-mount adapter.
    The contraption is ghetto but the depth of the gland makes for good integrated lens shade :cool:

26136472241_67ba6d7c8e_b. DV030004 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

I wrapped the optical block diameter with a couple of layers of electrical tape to then be able to simply insert the lens into the PVC tube and have enough friction to find my focal point for infinity.
    The lens is very small, rivaling my Kodak Ektar 25mm f1.9 but the images that I got from it were kind of..... very whack :confused-53:

25598336444_0597b74130_b. Explosive yawn_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

How can such a lens have produced any decent images at any stage? I asked myself
    Have I forgotten/lost a piece of the optical block? looking through the trash basket
    All was revealed a few days later when somebody asked me if by mistake I have inserted the lens the wrong way, back to front.

He guessed right: I did mess up big time :oops::oops::oops:
    I quickly reverse the lens (it was just friction inserted at this stage) and suddenly images were just normal, sharp but normal.
    I have no use for yet another "normal" lens, even if this is very small :sleep:. I actually liked the whack effect of the lens back to front :doh:

26252191275_0633f96f2b_b. Tiny fruit_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

So, now the lens is permanently bonded inside that PVC tube, the wrong way around :laugh1:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. TassieFig