Framing Photos

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Laserguy, Aug 31, 2010.

1. No, not in the viewfinder; with wood and glass and the like...

I'm trying to find the cheapest, most convenient way possible to get my photos carefully matted and framed. My goal is a simple frame with a white matte that is cut to very closely match the exposed area of the print.

Store-bought frames are not a desirable option, since I have no way myself of cutting the matte to match the print.

Custom framing shops in my area seem to want to charge $100+ to frame an 8x10 print, which might be a perfectly reasonable reflection of the amount of work they put into it, but it's a lot more than I want to spend if I can avoid it.

I tried mpix, and the resulting frames were fine and reasonably inexpensive, but their default framing covers the edges of the print. No big deal for the shots of my kid I had done, but I generally take a great deal of care with cropping my pictures, and I don't want the edges covered. I thought of trying to put a thin white buffer around the edge of the image, but they seem unwilling to commit to a specification as to how much of the print will be occluded. I'm also not sure what would happen if I attempted to have a 4x3 picture printed on 3x2 paper (with appropriate whitespace) and framed.

Anyone have luck getting mpix or some other online framing shop to do things right? Anyone have another solution that's cheaper than a custom framer that doesn't have me setting up a framing shop in my house?