Frames rates and video settings for YouTube videos??

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I’m making some coaching tutorials, using em5.2 and em1.2.
Output will be to YouTube for the one set and maybe Vimeo later.
I’m interested in settings for YouTube now, keeping in mind I’d don’t need 4K quality... actually HD will probably suffice as I don’t want gargantuan files.
I recently did a couple of test runs with both cameras and was shocked at the size of the short tests (couple of minutes clips hit 800+MB on each camera). I obviously don’t have settings that are end user friendly!

So if I want HD quality as my highest desirable what would I use to attain this on both cameras listed above.

I am not recording a hispeed sport so was thinking 24fps would suffice?
Editing on either a Mac using iMovie, FCP or ScreenFlow or, ore than likely on my iPad using LumaFusion.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
The camera profile would generally be set up to output for editing, not direct viewing. Your video editor should export to lower quality settings for specific output media such as YouTube. If it doesn't have a preset already (I know Da Vinci Resolve has presets for both Vimeo and YouTube), use this as a starting point: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If these videos will have commercial value the best thing to do is to shoot in 4K and then output 1080P for uploading. This in a way future proofs your videos.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The camera profile would generally be set up to output for editing, not direct viewing. Your video editor should export to lower quality settings for specific output media such as YouTube. If it doesn't have a preset already (I know Da Vinci Resolve has presets for both Vimeo and YouTube), use this as a starting point: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en
Thanks @wjiang i’m not sure I understand all of the Video terminology there yet, but is shouldn’t be hard to look up from there.
So, with what @D7k1 has said about future proofing (makes sense so that if I want to go to Vimeo or to a paid coaching model I won’t have to redo the videos) then if I shoot even 1080p with 60fps second now, but want to edit and output at 1280 x (780?) now for YouTube and considering the following advice from the website wj linked me to where it says!

“ Interlaced content should be deinterlaced before uploading. For example, 1080i60 content should be deinterlaced to 1080p30. 60 interlaced fields per second should be deinterlaced to 30 progressive frames per second.”

... Then I should have to de-interlace the original video first before editing? Whatever deinterlace means 😂

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Don't use 60FPs, use 24 or 30 FPS. 60 FPS is for stuff with fast motion. When you render going from 60 to 24/30 can cause issues. Unless you are doing something with a lot of fast motion (your file size will be much larger with 60 FPS).

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I’ve checked both cameras as well as the LumaFusion app. I have an intro already made (months ago) in LF and it was at 30 FPS so I figure I should then use 30 FPS in the video recording as well. Looking at the menus on both cameras, and from advice from both of you (many thanks) I now have them set for 1080p, 30 FPS and N as opposed to F. It looked like I could save some MB by choosing the N setting so I’m going to have a go with that. For YouTube this shouldn’t be a problem should it?

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What are the N and F setttings (don't have these in my Pany cameras)?
From the info that comes up, N is normal and F is Fine... I thought originally it referred to any photos (jpegs) that we’re taken during video, but reading more suggests the file sizes of the videos are affected so am now assuming, possibly incorrectly, that the settings have to do with the video resolution instead. Dunno?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom