Framed or Innocent?

Sawdust

Mu-43 Tourist
Real Name
Carroll
I know that many of you do not use, or care for, digital framing for your images on this site. I understand. A plain, innocent image is what it is all about, after all. My opinion is that framing does add to the image, if done in good taste.

Some years ago, I played with and used Joe Colson's FrameShop software to create image framing on images in a website. FrameShop was improved in 2017, so that it would work with PS CC, and CS6. It is Free to use.

I have downloaded and installed it in the latest PS CC. Here is an image I used it with, using the default frame selection included in the download. The custom frame settings are unlimited with this software...from a subtle drop shadow to much more.

I thought some of you might have some fun with it.

Anyway, here is the link to Joe Colson's download and explanation page of FrameShop v 1.0.0 for PS CC, and CS6.

http://www.joecolsonphotography.com/2017/06/24/frameshop-script-v1-0-0-for-photoshop-cc-and-cs6/

(My apologies if this is duplication of previous information...I looked and could not find anything, other than at least one member that uses FrameShop.)

P5050005-FrameShop.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Many years ago, I wrote a macro for Photoshop that puts a mat around my images with a very fine line around the image and then an almost unnoticeable drop shadow.

What you have shown here is very similar to how I frame and mat my prints. Slightly off-white mat with a fine black aluminium frame.

I think your photo looks good.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I agree! That looks very cool, and I wish I knew how to do stuff like that.

Sawdust

Mu-43 Tourist
Real Name
Carroll
I agree! That looks very cool, and I wish I knew how to do stuff like that.

John Colson has excellent instructions about how to download and use his software. It appears to be more difficult than it really is. ( I hate when people say that...lol.) Once you have it installed (Windows PC or Mac), it will run as a script in PS CC, or CS6.

When you have your image in PS, you click on "file", then down to "scripts", then over and down to "FrameShop v1.0.0. The FrameShop window opens, and will allow you to make any changes you wish, and then you can run the script or cancel it. If you have already designed your frame, you just have to click on "run". Once you have chosen what you want FrameShop to do to your image, it is all automatic, and the software does the work for you on your image.

Mr. Colson is better at explaining this than I am. Just saying.

Yes, there is a learning curve to using it, just like all other software. However, Mr. Colson has give excellent instructions on each step, with illustrations (love pictures!) to show us how it works.

I hope you try it. I think you will enjoy it...especially since it is FREE, and all it costs you is your time to learn it.

By the way, Mr. Colson takes wonderful images...they are worth a look. And kudos to him for giving this software to the community!

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I like frames, borders and mats.

A simple border in PS is easy, and is something I add to most of my pictures.

New layer, Select all, Select > Modify > Contract (enter desired number of pixels), Select > Inverse, Edit > Fill > colour/white/black/texture etc

You can go further by selecting inverse again, then adding a coloured inner line with Edit > Stroke.

Or: Use above on the base layer to get as far as Select > Inverse, then hit the mask symbol and add a layer of texture, different photo etc and drag the layer below the picture (don't forget to unlock the layer by clicking the padlock to the right of the thumbnail if it's the base layer).

The above doesn't help with drop shadows though - I've never figured out how to do drop shadows on individual sides/lines quickly. Open to ideas :)

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
John Colson has excellent instructions about how to download and use his software. It appears to be more difficult than it really is. ( I hate when people say that...lol.) Once you have it installed (Windows PC or Mac), it will run as a script in PS CC, or CS6.

When you have your image in PS, you click on "file", then down to "scripts", then over and down to "FrameShop v1.0.0. The FrameShop window opens, and will allow you to make any changes you wish, and then you can run the script or cancel it. If you have already designed your frame, you just have to click on "run". Once you have chosen what you want FrameShop to do to your image, it is all automatic, and the software does the work for you on your image.

Mr. Colson is better at explaining this than I am. Just saying.

Yes, there is a learning curve to using it, just like all other software. However, Mr. Colson has give excellent instructions on each step, with illustrations (love pictures!) to show us how it works.

I hope you try it. I think you will enjoy it...especially since it is FREE, and all it costs you is your time to learn it.

By the way, Mr. Colson takes wonderful images...they are worth a look. And kudos to him for giving this software to the community!

I just spotted the magic word (free)

Sawdust

Mu-43 Tourist
Real Name
Carroll
One from my Nikon days, to show Drop Shadow frame...which can be greatly (understatement) altered.

Reflection.jpg

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I like frames, borders and mats.

A simple border in PS is easy, and is something I add to most of my pictures.

New layer, Select all, Select > Modify > Contract (enter desired number of pixels), Select > Inverse, Edit > Fill > colour/white/black/texture etc

You can go further by selecting inverse again, then adding a coloured inner line with Edit > Stroke.

Or: Use above on the base layer to get as far as Select > Inverse, then hit the mask symbol and add a layer of texture, different photo etc and drag the layer below the picture (don't forget to unlock the layer by clicking the padlock to the right of the thumbnail if it's the base layer).

The above doesn't help with drop shadows though - I've never figured out how to do drop shadows on individual sides/lines quickly. Open to ideas :)
Richard, here is an example. I can send you a copy of my macro so you can work through how it's done, if you like.

E-M1_MkII_JAK_2018-_9163790_Ew.jpg

DickB

Mu-43 Regular
Interesting subject. Although I generally agree that photos in web forums are better without frames, I sometimes use them in other ways. One Photoshop action that I like and have had for a long time is from Mike Brewer, called Mike's Invariant Frame. Not sure why it's called that because there are a number of variations possible with the action, including changing the text font or whether it's even there. Anyway, here is an example using the default settings which I like for their subtlety.
_1036707 framed.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom