Framed in Central Park

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by s0nus, Jun 12, 2012.

1. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I recently had some fun with a frame I found in Central Park. I think a couple of these came out quite cool. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 27
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Pretty cool indeed!

• Like Like x 1
  3. redcapestudio

redcapestudio Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Robert
    I think the flower shot is wonderful.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Great idea, I love creative shots!:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Awesome idea, I like it. The last 2 work nicely.

I'm gonna give that a go myself:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Another great idea for a photo thread or a contest. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Timos L

Timos L Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Timos :)
    Interesting idea and implementation. I would choose a smaller frame, so that the final picture would have also the "outer world" inside.

I may give it a go, too. Thanks for the idea ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Drummer_gal

Drummer_gal Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Love it! And just like the others, i'm gonna try this one day too! :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    What really makes this for me is that you found the frame. This makes it fun and spontaneous. From a purely personal perspective, I could never set out with a frame to try it as I think a lot of the charm would be lost in a cloud of pretention.

It will be very interesting to see what others do with the idea, however.

10. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Thats a cool idea, thanks for sharing it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I think this is right on. I frankly have sort of mixed feelings about the approach. I like a lot of what you've put IN the frame and part of me is saying "well, that's the point of the photograph, why not just frame the photo like that"? OTOH I like the spotaneous and playful approach and some of them just WORK, which is always the bottom line. But I think it works largely because you just found it and decided to play. I think if you tried to make a project of it, it could get really pretentous really quickly.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  12. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    Thanks ,i think is a fine neat idea.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    very cool and well done.

G

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    It is really creative. I think it can work as a thread "Framed". I don't see the point of "pretentiousness". I agree that it won't be as spontaneous, but even if you don't find it on the street, it is another element to be creative with your composition.

Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  15. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    If you printed them and mounted them in a frame, there would be a frame within a frame. It would be like Inception by photography.
    Brilliant

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Not saying that it definitely would be pretentious, just that a big part of what works is the spontaneity and the FUN he was clearly having with it. And that could easily get lost.

This thread reminds me of something I accidentally did when I was studying photography in college. I was playing around with a Polaroid (this was the mid/late '70s) and took a photo of my hand holding something - I don't remember what. And those polaroid shots were pretty small square prints and while I was holding it and looking at it I thought THAT looked pretty cool so I took another Polaroid of myself holding a shot of my hand. And then I started playing around with it and ended up with a frame within a frame within a frame, all containing my hand holding prints of my hand holding prints, each with my arm coming into the frame from a totally different angle, so there was a sort of swirly effect too. The last one was done with an SLR and I printed it up really nicely. And I loved it! And my art prof and most of the class loved it. I wish I still had a print or negative of it. Because it was just so sponteneous and playful. BUT.... then I tried to turn it into a project and do similar THEMED shots of various other subjects, but all sort of frames within frames. And, in short, it stunk. I never re-captured that spontaneous magic I caught that first day when I was just playing around. Once I started to try to think about it, plan it, make it thoughtful and meaningful, it lost the one thing that made it work in the first place.

So I guess my comment was based on my memory of that experience. There's a bit of magic captured in a bottle in a few of these shots. And maybe an attempt to replocate it would be brilliant and creative and amazing. But it could go bad too - this might be the clear high point of any such "project" or theme...

-Ray

• Like Like x 4
  17. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Thanks for your posting Ray, now I understand your point of view.

:)

Gus

• Like Like x 1
  18. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    The absolute same thing was going through my mind when shooting! I went with it regardless - it was quite fun, and because I had a "project", it put me in a very photographic mindset.

Very meta. :rofl:

I find that creativity goes hand in hand with spontaneity. So much of the photography that I do is "engineered" - spending time to compose the image, dialing in the settings, shooting, and then post processing. While I love this drawn out process of capturing memorable images of the highest technical quality that I'm capable of mustering, the process sometimes loses its charm. Sometimes its just fun to point and shoot, which is what this frame forced me to do, for the simple fact that it's tiring to hold your arm straight out and immobilized for any extended period of time. ;-)

---

Thanks everyone for checking these out. I'm glad it spawned some interesting discussion!

19. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Really cool images!

• Like Like x 1
  20. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Nice execution on a great idea!