Frak, I really humped my summer

Phocal

God
So I was suppose to start a 4 day bikepacking trip in Denali NP on Thursday. I also have scheduled a 5-6 day bikepacking the Denali Highway in August. There are also a number of 2-3 day trips to fat bike or gravel bike or packraft from now through September. My final big trip for the fall was going to be 5-6 days in either McCarthy or Denali NP.

Well my year is going to change drastically. I was house/dog sitting for a friend who happens to be a chef. While washing a knife yesterday I managed to cut my finger and when I saw the blood flowing from my finger the first think I thought was “Fuck, there goes Denali”.

This was the second attempt to do Denali NP. Back in May we wanted to ride Denali NP but because they were still working on the road we could only go 42 miles in (entire ride is around 90 miles one way). So we switched to riding the Denali Highway and weather was to extreme so we canceled it. First you have to realize this road is very remote, so we had to plan on no support (we both did have a Garmin inReach for real emergencies).

5F2C955E-665F-4A74-B0D8-44D6223EF9B3.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The plan was arrive around noon and ride a short distance (35 miles) and setup camp. We get there and it’s 34ish and raining, so we decided to camp at the parking location (a BLM campground). Since we didn’t have a strict schedule we just planned to make up the miles over the next two days. We are both very experienced outdoor guys and we struggled to get a fire going, all the wood we could find was wet from a week of rain. I woke up around 2am because it stopped raining but fell right back asleep. Wake up in the morning and realized the precipitation didn’t stop, it just changed form to snow.

7CC0D041-FB08-4703-BCE6-643B0077B97A.jpeg

The weather report for the six days was lows around 28 with highs in the low 40’s. It would be either raining or snowing or something in between for all six days. Looking at that and the struggle we had with fire as well as the remoteness we decided to load up and go home.

Here is what my bike looked like from 15 miles on a very wet gravel road. I should have put it on the roof rack, would have been nasty riding this at the start but honestly my friends bike (it came up in the bed of a truck) would have been this bad at the end of the first day.

184A5442-AA14-416D-9667-09349174FD98.jpeg

Our thinking was anything that got wet would never get dry and if it was our bags (both had down bags) we would be humped. So rather than suffer for six days we decided to call the trip.

So the cut finger ruined at least two bikepacking trips and maybe more.

So how did a cut finger ruin at least two trips?

Photo taken at the ER
557F09BF-C3DC-4255-84C6-A4FBB9274F91.jpeg

Do you remember the part about him being a chef (oh should mention that him and my bikepacking friend are different people)? So that should indicate the quality and sharpness of the instrument of destruction. I am honestly not real sure how the cut actually happened. The way I was holding the knife and what I was doing doesn’t make any sense for the direction of the cut. Regardless, when I saw that blood flowing I knew it was bad. Wrapped it up and got the bleeding to stop so I packed up my stuff and cleaned the blood up before heading home. I went home to feed my cats because I didn’t know how long I would be gone. Here is a photo of cut after I cleaned it at the hospital.

8FC0C0C4-B3FE-4810-B18A-7B4F9E989689.jpeg

Crazy right? Looks like something a bandaid could fix. Well, it seems the aforementioned instrument of destruction easily cut not just to the bone but also into the joint capsule, which I have learned is not good. I have no idea what the surgery recovery time is for something like this, but I should tomorrow. I get to see a hand surgeon tomorrow and should know the fate of my upcoming trips. Until then they didn’t want me bending my finger so it’s in a splint.

9BF89728-6303-4293-81D1-8910C8648560.jpeg

I’m pretty sure that the August trip is out, as are any gravel bike or packrafting trips through August as well. So this accident has ruined at least two long trips that were already rescheduled from earlier this year. This has been a challenging summer that keeps getting worse. But I can ride my fat bike because the shifting is with my thumb and I can use the other fingers to brake. Granted my normal brake finger is my middle finger, but it’s doable. I can’t ride the gravel bike because my shift finger is the middle finger and I’m not sure I would be comfortable braking without the middle finger.

So I will just switch the activities to either fat bike or backpacking and maybe a fat bike single track bikepacking trip or two. Anxious for tomorrow because the fate of my short summer will be revealed. As I sit here and type this on my phone because it’s easier than trying to type on the keyboard my knuckle is killing me. Guessing I cut into some of those nerves in the knuckle and they are telling me how stupid I was. Here is a photo from this morning of it when I was changing the bandaid.

16CD80B5-1352-4524-A449-848705CA93E2.jpeg

Let me leave you with a final thought. I have become pretty good because of multiple shoulder separations and surgeries over the years, but the initial relearning is a pain in the ass.

Oh!!!!!!!!!

What am I talking about? Next time you relieve your bowels I want you to wipe with the opposite hand.

Phocal

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
So I was suppose to start a 4 day bikepacking trip in Denali NP on Thursday. I also have scheduled a 5-6 day bikepacking the Denali Highway in August. There are also a number of 2-3 day trips to fat bike or gravel bike or packraft from now through September. My final big trip for the fall was going to be 5-6 days in either McCarthy or Denali NP.

Well my year is going to change drastically. I was house/dog sitting for a friend who happens to be a chef. While washing a knife yesterday I managed to cut my finger and when I saw the blood flowing from my finger the first think I thought was “Fuck, there goes Denali”.

This was the second attempt to do Denali NP. Back in May we wanted to ride Denali NP but because they were still working on the road we could only go 42 miles in (entire ride is around 90 miles one way). So we switched to riding the Denali Highway and weather was to extreme so we canceled it. First you have to realize this road is very remote, so we had to plan on no support (we both did have a Garmin inReach for real emergencies).

View attachment 899458

The plan was arrive around noon and ride a short distance (35 miles) and setup camp. We get there and it’s 34ish and raining, so we decided to camp at the parking location (a BLM campground). Since we didn’t have a strict schedule we just planned to make up the miles over the next two days. We are both very experienced outdoor guys and we struggled to get a fire going, all the wood we could find was wet from a week of rain. I woke up around 2am because it stopped raining but fell right back asleep. Wake up in the morning and realized the precipitation didn’t stop, it just changed form to snow.

View attachment 899459

The weather report for the six days was lows around 28 with highs in the low 40’s. It would be either raining or snowing or something in between for all six days. Looking at that and the struggle we had with fire as well as the remoteness we decided to load up and go home.

Here is what my bike looked like from 15 miles on a very wet gravel road. I should have put it on the roof rack, would have been nasty riding this at the start but honestly my friends bike (it came up in the bed of a truck) would have been this bad at the end of the first day.

View attachment 899461

Our thinking was anything that got wet would never get dry and if it was our bags (both had down bags) we would be humped. So rather than suffer for six days we decided to call the trip.

Photo taken at the ER
View attachment 899464

Do you remember the part about him being a chef (oh should mention that him and my bikepacking friend are different people)? So that should indicate the quality and sharpness of the instrument of destruction. I am honestly not real sure how the cut actually happened. The way I was holding the knife and what I was doing doesn’t make any sense for the direction of the cut. Regardless, when I saw that blood flowing I knew it was bad. Wrapped it up and got the bleeding to stop so I packed up my stuff and cleaned the blood up before heading home. I went home to feed my cats because I didn’t know how long I would be gone. Here is a photo of cut after I cleaned it at the hospital.

View attachment 899465

Crazy right? Looks like something a bandaid could fix. Well, it seems the aforementioned instrument of destruction easily cut not just to the bone but also into the joint capsule, which I have learned is not good. I have no idea what the surgery recovery time is for something like this, but I should tomorrow. I get to see a hand surgeon tomorrow and should know the fate of my upcoming trips. Until then they didn’t want me bending my finger so it’s in a splint.

View attachment 899469

I’m pretty sure that the August trip is out, as are any gravel bike or packrafting trips through August as well. So this accident has ruined at least two long trips that were already rescheduled from earlier this year. This has been a challenging summer that keeps getting worse. But I can ride my fat bike because the shifting is with my thumb and I can use the other fingers to brake. Granted my normal brake finger is my middle finger, but it’s doable. I can’t ride the gravel bike because my shift finger is the middle finger and I’m not sure I would be comfortable braking without the middle finger.

So I will just switch the activities to either fat bike or backpacking and maybe a fat bike single track bikepacking trip or two. Anxious for tomorrow because the fate of my short summer will be revealed. As I sit here and type this on my phone because it’s easier than trying to type on the keyboard my knuckle is killing me. Guessing I cut into some of those nerves in the knuckle and they are telling me how stupid I was. Here is a photo from this morning of it when I was changing the bandaid.

View attachment 899470

Let me leave you with a final thought. I have become pretty good because of multiple shoulder separations and surgeries over the years, but the initial relearning is a pain in the ass.

Oh!!!!!!!!!

What am I talking about? Next time you relieve your bowels I want you to wipe with the opposite hand.
Bugger, Ronnie!

As for the other (bolded), back problems cause similar amounts of joy - with either hand!

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard

View attachment 899458

View attachment 899459

View attachment 899461

Photo taken at the ER
View attachment 899464

View attachment 899465

View attachment 899469

View attachment 899470

Oh!!!!!!!!!

Phocal

Oh no! I completely get it.

It is practically impossible to drive for much more than a quarter of a mile in Birmingham without a fully deployable middle finger. The horn/brakes are virtually useless without it.

Last edited:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Minor flesh wound. This is how you f#$( up your cycling, for the best part of a year or so
IMG_20190329_120933246.jpg

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Oh man, that sucks. Heal up and hope you get another crack at that ride someday...

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Bummer ^2.

I had a similar injury a long time ago that was repaired at Man's Greatest Hospital by a resident (who knows, it might have been a med student) who had me in a splint for two weeks. That was long enough for some ligaments to bond where they shouldn't. It took years to regain near-full flexibility. 50 years on, it still bends perceptibly less than on the opposite hand and weakens the grip in that hand. Be mindful throughout your recuperation and rehabilitation.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Man that really sucks and I was looking forward to pictures. Hope it heals well with no real limitations.

we're not going to relive the 'I got that beat' boat scene from Jaws, are we?
Well I did stick a chainsaw in my shoulder so I could be in the running.

Phocal

God
Can’t respond to everyone because typing Serg sucks right now.

Saw the hand surgeon and he gives an 80% chance of recovery without surgery. So going the physical therapy route to start and hope that works. Unfortunately can’t start PT until 2 August.

Real Name
Walter

View attachment 899458

View attachment 899459

View attachment 899461

Photo taken at the ER
View attachment 899464

View attachment 899465

View attachment 899469

View attachment 899470

Oh!!!!!!!!!

Phocal

Ouch!!!

I hear you on the "sanitary" issues. When I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder (me right handed), I had to learn to do a lot of things with my left hand. Including that! It wasn't easy, but what choice do you have?

Oh yeah, taking a shower required some adjustment. Bought a scrubber with a handle so I could use my left arm. Are you using a glove to keep your hand dry?

I have a funny story about handedness. When I was in grad school, I had a bad bike accident and broke my left collarbone and had a hairline fracture of my right wrist. The right hand and lower arm was in a cast and the left arm in a sling. I was living at a university dorm at the time, and the first time I went to the cafeteria after the accident, I found that I could carry the tray with my right hand (fingers still usable). Couldn't carry any weight with the left. I was walking through the cafeteria carrying my tray and a middle-aged female cafeteria worker whom I didn't know walked up to me with a look of concern. The first thing she said to me was, "how do you wipe your bottom?" I was so surprised, all I could say was "I can manage." One unexpected benefit was that I found out how good some of my friends were. I had to have help washing my back because I couldn't reach or manipulate a brush or wash towel in back. I asked them to wash my back with my shirt and brace off and then I would wash the rest of me later in the shower (I wore a waterproof bag over the cast). One was a woman who lived down the hall who came over once or twice a week. I dunno how she explained this to her boyfriend, but I was very grateful for her kindness.

Good luck, brah. Hope it heals quickly.

Last edited:

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Ugh, that's ..unpleasant :eek-31:. Hope the healing goes well!
Bad moon rising - my brother just routed two of his fingers in lieu of the piece of wood. Not as bad as yours, but curious timing..

Phocal

God
Ugh, that's ..unpleasant :eek-31:. Hope the healing goes well!
Bad moon rising - my brother just routed two of his fingers in lieu of the piece of wood. Not as bad as yours, but curious timing..

Almost exactly 10 years ago (was early July) I did this to my finger from a router bit. Missed the tendon by 1mm, my first close call with finger surgery. This time I was a bit closer to having to have it.

IMG_4608.JPG

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I usually like to bike everywhere in the city especially during the warmer months, but the neurologist won't allow me to get on a bicycle either after I got a seizure in January, then another last month. And before these seizures, there was also my left shoulder mysteriously breaking while I was sleeping in bed during July last year, which completely ruined that summer as well. Oh well, at least the seizures made the broken shoulder less mysterious, right? And even if it means I can no longer ride a bicycle or drive a car for the rest of my life, I probably would rather have another seizure than a knife cut all the way to one of my bones.

Latest threads

Top Bottom