FOV comparison: PL8-18/2.8-4 vs O8/1.8 fisheye

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Giiba, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    This may or not be of interest to others here, but this was something I was curious enough about to do and I thought I'd share my images.

I've been using the Oly 8/1.8 Pro fisheye lens as my wide option for a while now but due to the super-wide view and vulnerable front element it doesn't see as much use as I'd like for such a pricey option. Then Panasonic released their 8-18/2.8-4 which was intriguing for its zoom range and ability to take normal filters (filters at all...) and I became very curious about the difference in fov these two would offer.

Immediately I like that with a protective filter the PL8-18 essentially becomes and internally zooming lens that covers from my favorite 14-17'ish fov and goes much wider.

I took two test shots in my garage to see the difference.

First, the PL8-18 @8mm:
    P1100760.

Now the O8/1.8 (defished, and cropped to 4:3):
    P1100761_1.

And the O8/1.8 (defished and unconstrained crop):
    P1100761_4.

Now this isn't about IQ, simply my camera on a tripod, focused in the centre (blue box at back), and processed in DXO optics. As can be seen the fisheye provides a far wider view (obviously), but mostly in the horizontal, and it can be seen that the PL smears the corners less (again not surprised).

• Like Like x 3
  2. Artaius

Artaius New to Mu-43

Oct 4, 2017
    Great comparison! Always fun to see how lenses from different manufacturers handle the same focal length differently.

The Oly 8mm PRO is a fantastic lens – far too many people sleep on it due to the fishiness, but it's a lens that can be transformative to your photography if you play with it for a while.

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Focusing in the back, your left and right front corners were not in an area that would be acceptably sharp, so ya they would seemed blurred.

4. The Dream

The Dream Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 13, 2017
    My understanding is that it is not about manufacturer. A fisheye and a rectilinear lens having the same focal length just indicates the positions of the lenses and sensor. A fisheye will simply give a wider FOV than a rectilinear lens even though they are of the same focal length.

Here's my comparison between Panasonic 8mm fisheye, Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye, and Laowa 7.5mm rectilinear:
    M43 Travel Lens #3 – Panasonic 8mm f/3.5 – the Ultra Wide

Laowa 7.5mm (rectilinear):
    35449394344_e2f69f51e6_h.

Panasonic 8mm (fisheye):
    36282352395_9bfb5de5e8_h.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    I don't mean blurred or lacking sharpness... more that the corners seem more natural. In the fisheye shots the distortion is more apparent in the form of stretching (smearing).