1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FOV, 7mm (7-14) vs 7.5mm FE/defished.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    This was an exercise in FOV only between the Panny 7-14, at the 7 end and the Samyang 7.5 FE, fished and defished.

The camera was in the same place for both shots set at f5.6 with MF.

I used Fisheye Hemi to defish.

Interesting results....I thought.

As I use the 7-14 at the 7 end, 99% of the time, I'm wondering should I keep it.....Opinions please.
    If one is looking for UWA then surely the FE defished is the way to go, and at a fraction of the price of the 7-14.

Panny 7-14 at the 7 end.

PC210239-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Samyang 7.5 Defished.

PC210240DF-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Samyang 7.5 FE

PC210240-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Chicago
    Very interesting, I didn't realize the more distant objects & walls appear about the same. It's only the objects at five feet or less where there's a big difference. Is the umbrella stand actually round & picture above it square or is it oval stand & rectangular picture? Weird with the 7mm they would be oval & rectangle and 7.5mm fisheye they'd be round & square. I'll have to see if same thing with my 0.18X fisheye attachment.

3. graben

graben Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2013
    Chicago, Illinois
    Great comparison, makes me feel even more satisfied with my 7.5mm. :)

4. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I've caught the bug to have the Samyang Fisheye again, and this thread is making the infection worse!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The umbrella stand is round.

6. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Just tried FishEye hemi on a landscape with a curved horizon.....any of the 3 settings only make a very slight difference....horizon is still curved....disappointing..

7. graben

graben Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2013
    Chicago, Illinois
    Try hugin much more customizable

Sent from my HTL21 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Another vote Hugin - it does a great job.

However, if you're a LIghtroom user and want something easier than Hugin, there is a LR profile for the Sammy which makes it very easy to defish. You'll find it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46420541/Rok7_5_lcp.zip

As regards defished IQ - the extreme corners of de-fished Sammy shots are pretty poor - BUT, if you crop to match the 7-14 at 7mm, they are actually on a par, or even a little better. It's true that so long as you're happy to do the defishing, then it's hard to justify the 7-14 over the 7.5 FE. Personally, I sold on my 7-14 and now have the 7.5 FE plus the 9-18. It works well - and no purple blobs!

• Like Like x 3
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That is characteristic of the difference between rectilinear and fish-eyes, it's a trade-off between one type of distortion for another. See here for more in-depth information:
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-projections.htm

There are some test shots in this thread which illustrate how sharp this lens is even after defishing and cropping:
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?p=568854

10. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I've had both and some shots are still distorted when defished. Also, I didn't want to move pixels around possibly killing detail when defishing as i use ultrawides more for landscapes. I loved tjhe 7.5 but i wanted a proper rectilinear UWA lens.

11. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    Wow! The 7,5mm was one of the first native lenses I purchased. Haven't looked much into defishing, as I'm lazy about building a profile for digikam.