Four-thirds.org site terrible redesign

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So for the last week or so the site has been down and "under construction" and now it is back but it is significantly different and less useful. While it is still "four-thirds.org" all references and knowledge bases related to the older four thirds stuff has been dumped. The site is strictly micro four thirds now. This is unfortunately because it was a great place to quickly look up an old 4/3rds body or lens.

Also the much more convenient charts are gone which looked a bit like the Oly roadmaps where you could easily see all the lenses on one page and at a glance see where their focal length fell across the range.

However even worse is it appears the "Matching Simulator" is no longer there. For those familiar with it, you would probably agree that this was an excellent tool to visualize any four thirds or m43 lens on a camera body to see how large or small the combo would appear. Or to help see how much different something like the 45/1.8 is compared to the 45/1.2.

I supposed this would be considered progress and moving forward, but I don't see how it would have been a problem to still have a side room with all the legacy four-third stuff could still be looked up. Are they hurting for server storage or something? :oops:

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I just get "site loading" when I try to access it.
It's a site I often referred to, trying to understand the differences in (particularly) lenses and it's been very helpful in that regard, especially on the four-thirds front. So, it will be sad to see all that information disappearing.

Real Name
Walter
So for the last week or so the site has been down and "under construction" and now it is back but it is significantly different and less useful. While it is still "four-thirds.org" all references and knowledge bases related to the older four thirds stuff has been dumped. The site is strictly micro four thirds now. This is unfortunately because it was a great place to quickly look up an old 4/3rds body or lens.

Also the much more convenient charts are gone which looked a bit like the Oly roadmaps where you could easily see all the lenses on one page and at a glance see where their focal length fell across the range.

However even worse is it appears the "Matching Simulator" is no longer there. For those familiar with it, you would probably agree that this was an excellent tool to visualize any four thirds or m43 lens on a camera body to see how large or small the combo would appear. Or to help see how much different something like the 45/1.8 is compared to the 45/1.2.

I supposed this would be considered progress and moving forward, but I don't see how it would have been a problem to still have a side room with all the legacy four-third stuff could still be looked up. Are they hurting for server storage or something? :oops:

Ugh, you're right. I liked the old site a lot. Damn, wish I'd screen-captured or copied more stuff before it disappeared.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Old content might have been archived at archive.org.
ya they do have it up there.

Here is the m43 chart for anyone who wants to grab a copy...
https://web.archive.org/web/20210113161903/https://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lens_chart.html

And more importantly for the four-thirds stuff, get this older one...
https://web.archive.org/web/20180829193826/https://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/lens_chart.html

because sometime shortly after this in 2019 perhaps, all the Panasonic stuff was removed from the site, reasons unknown. I assume Panasonic must of requested it be removed is all I can think of.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I have to say this might rank as one of the absolute WORST site redesigns I've ever seen.

I use to visit the site regularly to review lens specs, now I'm better off going to B&H or DPReview.

BPCS

Mu-43 Regular
Yeah... its not easy anymore to get quick specs... info is there but needs to be searched now everytime.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Using the Matching Simulation gave me a lot of GAS over the years. Maybe it is better that it's gone now.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Quite often people will ruin good websites "just because". Usually they replace good usability with something that (they think) looks good and trendy gimmicks that will be forgotten soon.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Quite often people will ruin good websites "just because". Usually they replace good usability with something that (they think) looks good and trendy gimmicks that will be forgotten soon.

Couldn't agree more.
I think it's job justification as far as programmers go.
They could get a web site running perfectly but then what would they all do? They have to continually 'improve' things which can often mean going in a downward spiral as they keep making unnecessary changes to show that they are working.

Probably badly worded but you know what I mean.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Seeing how any mention of Olympus was removed everywhere from the site, I think there may have been other reasons for the site's redesign than "just because".

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom