Four Thirds: Olympus Evolt E620 vs Canon T1i or a Panasonic MU43?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by BBW, Jun 13, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Though I hate to venture from the :43: world, our daughter (turning 21 in the fall) is looking/hoping for a good digital camera. Experience: point and shoot, and using my old OM-1 SLR and interested in a good digital SLR.

Both she and I have been researching cameras off and on for about a year. Although I'd thought about a Canon T1i, I keep coming back to Olympus (wonder why) because of what I consider to be their great jpegs (I know, I know RAW is The Way) and their colors...plus the four thirds sized camera just seems so much more suitable due to its size and everything I've read.

Why not one of the PENs, you might ask? My daughter really wants a built in view finder, as well as the LCD. I can't say I blame her on that.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger I think and just thought I'd throw this out to you all to see if anyone here has an Evolt and could offer any feedback. And if you have both a four thirds and micro four thirds - what do you like better about either one?

Many thanks!

2. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    FWIW, I have a T1i and think it's a terrific camera. The kit lens is not bad either.

From what I have read, the T2i is supposed to be even better.

Regards,

Antonio

• Like Like x 2
  3. BBW

Uh oh - now I have to continue to ruminate!

Antonio - how do you find the jpegs? I just know that for right now she is not going to want to fool around too much. She's going to use iPhoto for now. I have to say that all my little Canon Elphs have always had very good color.

I'm also thinking about the size of the camera and weight. Though she's 5' 6 1/2 she has small, delicate hands.

4. ajramirez

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    The camera is quite small and light. My wife, who is about 5'2" and has very delicate hands finds it comfortable.

JPEGs are fine. Not sure if Olympus fine, but fine nonetheless.

One thing I like about it is that the viewfinder is fairly large, particularly for a pentamirror camera.

If you want to see image samples, let me know and I'll post some.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Antonio

5. BBW

You're very kind to get back to me so fast. If you have some shots that would be great! I really appreciate your input regarding its size and the jpegs, too.

6. ajramirez

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    I'll post some shots tonight.

Regards,

Antonio

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ephemeral Moment

Ephemeral Moment Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2010
    Darlington
    This is the Canon 500D? I quite liked mine until I got the GF1 - the jpg was one of the features I liked about it, usable straight from the camera - this as taken with the 500D and only cropped a little, though I did have a polariser on the lens

[​IMG]

I wouldn't really have got rid of it if I hadn't wanted to buy a couple more lenses for the GF1 outfit I'm developing

• Like Like x 2
  8. BBW

I appreciate your post and photo, Ephemeral and will be sure to have my daughter take a look at this thread later on.

9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi BB,

I have the E-620, it's a cracking, fully featured DSLR and will give very similar image quality to the Pen, but with the advantage of using native 4/3rds lenses with fast PDAF and an optical viewfinder for action shooting... as well as an articulating LCD.

Here are a few image samples from my gallery...

E-620 + ZD 150mm f2
    1/1250s f/2.8 at 212.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

E-620 + ZD 50mm f2
    1/320s f/8.0 at 50.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

E-620 with ZD 50-200mm f2.8-3.5mm SWD
    [​IMG]

E-620 + ZD 14-54mm f2.8-3.5
    1/800s f/5.6 at 54.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

1/640s f/5.6 at 24.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

E-620 + ZD 7-14mm f4
    1/1000s f/5.6 at 7.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

1/640s f/5.6 at 48.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

E-620 + ZD 14-35mm f2 SWD
    1/800s f/5.6 at 35.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

E-620 + PL 14-150mm f3.5-5.6
    1/640s f/5.6 at 74.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

E-620 + ZD 7-14mm f4
    1/160s f/8.0 at 7.0mm iso160
    [​IMG]

E-620 + ZD 50mm f2
    1/250s f/2.0 at 50.0mm iso3200
    [​IMG]

E-620 + ZD 9-18mm f4-5.6
    1/800s f/4.0 at 9.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

E-620 + ZD 50mm f2
    1/200s f/5.6 at 50.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

1/40s f/5.6 at 54.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 10
  10. BBW

Well, Brian, I should have known I could count on you and of course those are wonderful photos! I know you are Mr. Lightzone, but I also know I can count on you to tell me how the jpegs are on this camera?

I understand there's no video, but apparently that's not that big a deal to the would be owner in question. It does have a flash I believe, so that's a plus. And, in addition, I guess we could share lenses on occasion - including those OM-1 lenses.:wink:

11. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks and you're welcome BB. The jpegs are very similar to the Pen - think E-P1 in a DSLR body... 4/3rds lenses are generally fantastic, particularly the ZD 14-54, ZD 50 but I have to say, the future is m4/3rds. Start out with an E-PL1 + EVF and before too long I expect a high spec m4/3rds body will arrive to outperform the DSLR.

By choosing m4/3rds now, she will not have to switch lens system later on.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BBW

I know, she just really doesn't like/feel comfortable with the EVF, but wants an in camera view finder. I had thought about one of the Panasonics (G10 or G2) but was concerned about the jpegs not looking so great without post processing. Hence my seemingly altruistic "How Do You Like Your G2" and G10 threads.:redface:

Any more thoughts? I can certainly see how we'd both do quite well if she were to end up with a Panasonic - think of all those lenses in the family.:biggrin:

13. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I'd seek out a G1 (no video) or GH1 if you can find them at clearance prices... the G2/G10 are not worth the new camera premium imho.

The E-620 would be a more rugged camera than either of the Panasonic bodies though, and you get in-body stabilisation for all 4/3rds lenses.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  14. BBW

Appreciate it Brian. Wonder if the GH1 and G1 have a depth of field preview or not?

15. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, I believe they both do... can't remember the button combination at the moment though.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  16. BBW

Still thinking about the Olympus four thirds or the Canon as they might give the best in jpeg because that is important. Don't want to have to do a whole bunch of tweaking as she will mainly use iPhoto.

Thanks Brian...more reading to do, I think.

17. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I had the Olympus E-620 for about four months, and the E-30 for another three. Both excellent cameras, although the E-620 sounds like a better fit in this case. I switched to mFT because that's where the future is...it's unclear what, if anything, Olympus is going to continue to produce for non-micro Four Thirds. That isn't to say the E-620 won't continue to take great pictures with the awesome Olympus glass...but I'm a gearhead so I'm always looking to upgrade :) YMMV.

18. BBW

Adam, thanks for your input. You're certainly not alone in believing that :43: is where the future is. I just wish Olympus made one right now that had that built in view finder, and maybe was just a bit easier in low light... Perhaps I'll convince her to wait a while longer and try mine for a while.

Another member just mentioned the Pentax Kx to me, so I'm going to read up on it. I just keep imagining all the lenses my daughter and I could share if she went either micro four thirds or four thirds.:wink:

19. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Here's a frugal pessimistic solution... kind of what I did 1.5 years ago.

- assume 4/3rds will "end"
    - assume m4/3rds is the future
    - assume she will eventually warm up to evf's when they get better

buy an e420 as they're dirt cheap right now, assume it'll be a cheap stop-gap camera that's essentially disposable when better evf's or an ovf comes out for m4/3rds.

Meets most of the criteria outlined I think, while saving you money in anticipation of a new m4/3rds.

• Like Like x 2
  20. BBW

Not a bad idea at all, Squeegee.

I wish I had a crystal ball and could know whether by November/December or even early 2011 if there might not be a new PEN.

Off to find out about your suggestion. :thumbup: