Four Thirds lenses on the E-P5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, Aug 3, 2013.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    It has been rumored that the E-P5 offers quite substantial gains in focusing speed for FT lenses.

I just found these videos on Youtube which seem to confirm this assumption. Personally, I haven't seen faster AF speeds from older :43: cameras. That doesn't mean they are actually fast, mind you, just that they are begining to become practically viable. Esp. the 12-60 and 50-200 speeds are easily useable in a common shooting routine.

Here is one video, the same user has a number of them for various lenses:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7kvVdZygt4&list=UUJQ3mEeS_ECVr7kIWE_rGCg]E-P5轉接ZD 50-200mm SWD II - YouTube[/ame]

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's not a rumour but a claim by Olympus. Here is a quote from their press release (in Australia).
    ". The E-P5’s new autofocus (AF) system enables the same world’s fastest AF speed performance as the OM-D E-M5 and improves on it by providing up to 45% faster AF performance with Zuiko Digital SLR lenses (mounted with a dedicated lens adapter)." It does vary for different lenses though.

Found here.

3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Thanks Ross! In fact I had seen this and forgot where :frown: and actually looking for it. :thumbup:

4. Ross the fiddler

I'm not sure but I think there was a link in a post earlier this year to someone (in Canada maybe) with a blog with tests showing the improvement or something like that. If I find it I'll add it here.

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks for posting this. I hadn't tried my 70-300mm on the E-P5 yet, and wow, the difference from my older bodies is like day and night. Not only is it faster, but it actually achieves focus much more often.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You're probably thinking of Doug Brown's comments. There was a thread on DPR too.

I have to admit I'm skeptical. I've seen too many of these videos in the past that look good, but when I finally try the gear, it's still slow. Whether it's differences in shooting scenarios, or something else, I don't know.

Also, I would not use an SWD lens on m4/3 without having a good extended warranty. The SWD motors do have a history of conking out even when used as intended (on DSLRs), and my experience suggests that the extra stress of CDAF does the lens no favors.

Of course, for CDAF-enabled lenses, like the 14-54mk2 or 70-300, it's a different story. I could certainly believe that performance there has improved, as sampling rates and AF algorithms get faster.

7. Ross the fiddler

That's it thanks. Those last two lenses work reasonably good on my E-M5 but then the 70-300 lens was never a fast focussing lens & also the 14-54mk2 isn't really fast enough for action but fine for static shots (or more distant mild action). The better the light, the better the focussing speed IMO.

:drinks:

8. pen2omd

pen2omd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    California
    E-P5 AF with a 35-100mm

Got my E-P5 last Friday and did some testing of the AF improvement claim when it comes to FT lenses.
    I have tried the 35-100 on E-M5, E-P1 and E-30.
    For some reason the 35-100mm always had trouble to focus (bought it used...)
    Now I can say that focusing with the E-P5 changed that.
    It missed very few shots in a pre-twilight ambiance shot wide open.

I even used to face detection and time laps to do some auto portrait (10s then 2s between shots) with the camera just set on a unstable garden table.

When I manage to actually be in the frame :) the E-P5 focus on me and not my surroundings. Very impressive especially that it started with nothing close to where I were to be in the frame.

One word about the IS same lenses at 78mm hand held shutter speed: 1/6
    with perfect focus (f/2.0) I will say it is even a tad better than the E-M5 which was already excellent.

So :2thumbs:

9. Falconhg

Falconhg New to Mu-43

Jul 5, 2013
    Anybody tried the 14-54mk2 mark ii on the E-P5? seems good range with some macro possibilties.

10. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    It is (mk2) with epl2 2, sure do even better with ep5

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have the 14-54II on my E-pl5 as my kit lens and it works well. Reasonably fast and excellent IQ.

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Would you suggest the 50-200 MKI with m4/3? I'm undecided between a used MKI and MKII version. The MKI is 50% cheaper. Which would you suggest?

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you're going to use them with a m4/3 adapter on current bodies, the mk1 will AF faster and more accurately. But the mk1 is still pretty slow and still misses often.

For bodies that support PDAF (older 4/3 DSLRs, the new E-M1), the SWD does focus faster, although in my view the difference is not enormous.

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm considering buying an E-30 just in case... I mainly shoot static subjects so I suppose that AF speed (unless its turtle like speed) should not be a concern. IQ instead is a concern but if MKI and MKII have the same IQ, the MKI comes much cheaper.
    What do you think?