1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Four Thirds lenses officially dead?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by PakkyT, Sep 28, 2016.

1. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Just an observation on the American version of the Olympus web site, but I noticed that they have removed ALL of the old 4/3rds lenses from their online store including the refurb store. You used to still be able to buy a number of 4/3ds lenses brand new from Olympus including the ZD 12-60mm and the ZD 50-200 SWD among others. Now all of them are gone.

So I guess this is the official last nail in the 4/3rds coffin? Camera bodies have been gone for years now, but up until a month or two ago, you could still purchase a number of lenses. No more.

• Wow Wow x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I guess they finally ran out of the last of their inventory. I doubt they have been building any new ones for years now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    The 4/3 lenses are still showing up for me on Oly's shitty redesigned site.

Lenses | Olympus

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    i still have my pan-leica 14-50, and my oly 50/2!

5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ah so they are. Weird. I can not find that link thru the menu system of the new site. If you click on lenses from the very top, it takes you to a m.Zuiko lens page. If you click on Shop Lenses, it only shows m.Zuiko lenses. They seem to be hiding the link to get to the old Zuiko Digital lenses.

6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
  7. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Well I find the redesigned GetOlympus site to suck big time. You can't get on there and find a focal length. You have to click through images or know what category you are looking for. And then once you find the lens, the actual specs are hard to find. It's a really bad design for anyone looking for a specific item.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    They are still shown, albeit well buried, on the European site, too.

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    At B&H, a number of the Olympus 4/3 lenses are no 'Special-Order Only' - the 300/2.8 has been that way for a while, but the 12-60/2.8-4.0, 50-200/2.8-3.5 SWD, 11-22/2.8-3.5, 7-14/4.0 and 90-250/2.8 are now in that category too.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I guess the 4/3rds lenses, as superb as they are, are EOL. As someone else figured, they probably stopped making them and are just drawing down existing stock. If you want one, better get it while you can, or hope you can find it used elsewhere. I have the 50-200 SWD and it was one of the best investments I ever made.

12. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    There are plenty of used Four Thirds lenses on the market; I very much doubt that the supply of these lenses will end any time soon for those who are happy to have used examples.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Yes, but this thread is strictly about the manufacture and sale of new copies by Olympus and if they are finally winding down sales of NEW copies of these lenses. We all know we can buy used ones and will be able to for many years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    The woman I spoke to at Olympus Canada said there is definitely new Old-Stock 43rds lenses for purchase. But there would be no sales or discounts on those lenses. They are basically there, for full price, for someone who honestly wants to pay full price for them. I thought that was a rather amusing statement.

EDIT: I forgot, she also mentioned that the stock could be removed at any time, permanently from the store if Olympus decided to recall whatever was left.

However, I've found used 43rds lenses, especially the Pro and premium models, tend to be in incredible used condition. For a while when I was looking at used 43rds stuff, it looked like some of those lenses hadn't even been put on a camera and used.

Crazy.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The problem is repairs. These are not your all-mechanical lenses of 40 years ago, where a reasonably competent shop can do any necessary maintenance. I still think 4/3 lenses are a good option and value, but I'd only buy ones that I can afford to replace (or dispose of) if they fail.

16. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    You bring up a fair point, if Olympus discontinue 4/3 lenses, will they still service them?

17. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I would assume for a while you would be able to. For whatever it is worth, if you look at the Olympus Repair portal (at least the USA one) and play around with the pull downs, you can still get quotes for fixing a lot of camera bodies and other lenses no longer in production. Of course being able to pull a quote and being able to actually get those models repaired are two different things. But at least for now, a lot of those old obsolete models are still on the repair portal...

Olympus Service & Repair

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I wrote to Olympus since I am considering buying a 50-200SWD to go with my newly acquired E-M1. Here is the quote from the response I received:

Yes the Zuiko Lens ED 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD lens is available and repairable.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/lenses/zuiko-lens-ed-50-200mm-f2-8-3-5-swd-1.html

Looking at the lens section under shop, it looks like all the four-thirds lenses are now available. Given the overall poorly built nature of the new Olympus website (vastly different from the poorly written old Olympus website), I am guessing that this might have a website issue more than anything else.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Regardless of how you get your 50-200 SWD, I'm sure you'll love it. A superb lens and a great match with an EM1. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Thanks. I'm hoping to pick it up in the next month or so. Not sure I'll buy new (the 40-150 becomes a serious choice at that price), but the lens seems like a real bargain used. Of course, there seemed to have been a steady supply of them on eBay before I got the E-M1 and there are hardly any now :)

BTW, your sports shots with the lens were definitely helpful in deciding that I wanted the E-M1 + 50-200SWD combo.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1