Four thirds lens with OM-M43 adapter

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Am curious. Have seen someone using a Four Thirds lens on an E-M5 Mkii with an OM-M43 adapter. Will this provide any control of the aperture?

Phocal

God
Yes it will, but don’t expect very good performance. The lenses are designed for PDAF and don’t focus well on a camera using CDAF. You need an EM1 to make good use of them. There are a few that are CDAF optimized but even those don’t work nearly close to native.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Am curious. Have seen someone using a Four Thirds lens on an E-M5 Mkii with an OM-M43 adapter. Will this provide any control of the aperture?

OM-M43 adapter will adapt OM mount lenses to m4/3. I'm not sure why you'd try to use it with a regular 4/3 lens, but no, it cannot work.

The do make 4/3-m4/3 adapters with full electronic control, but they work a lot better on an E-M1 with PDAF. You'll want to stick to CDAF optimized 4/3 lenses if you go that routr.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Thanks all. This was something I saw on an auction website and it confused me. This was a four thirds 40-150mm with OM-M43 adapter. Could not see how it would work.
upload_2019-5-26_16-43-19.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have a MMF2 myself which has the contacts, and had realized four thirds and OM had the same flange. But this looks like it is focus by wire and does not have any aperture ring. But seller tells me it works in manual mode.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks all. This was something I saw on an auction website and it confused me. This was a four thirds 40-150mm with OM-M43 adapter. Could not see how it would work.
View attachment 746840
I have a MMF2 myself which has the contacts, and had realized four thirds and OM had the same flange. But this looks like it is focus by wire and does not have any aperture ring. But seller tells me it works in manual mode.

OM and 4/3 do not have the same flange. 4/3 is 38.6mm register depth and OM is 46mm. There was room to mount OM lenses with a slim adapter on 4/3 cameras.

4/3 and OM are not even the same diameter, so there is no way you could mount it on that adapter. Seller is confused.

That's a regular old 40-150mm. You could get a first version m4/3 version of that lens for $50-60 used, so no reason to buy a 4/3 adapted version.

barry

Super Moderator
View attachment 746840
I never noticed before how similar the mounts are.
However, an OM lens I just tried won't fit on the MMF-3.

Furthermore,
That lens is focus by wire; only the SWD lenses can be truly manually focused. So you won't be able to focus without a smart adapter, and the aperture won't move.

You can get a refurb mu-43 40-150mm for $49, or sometimes $99 new, so I wouldn't bother with this if you don't already have a working adapter.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Agreed. This is one auction I am not going to bother with. I don't need another E-M5 Mkii anyway.
The mounts are very similar. The body caps and lens caps are interchangeable, but as you say the OM lens stop down lever fowls on the 4/3 mount.
I have an OM to 4/3 adapter ring, and it is 7mm think (to force the iris to close from the look of it). So the 4/3rds lens on the OM adapter that I showed the picture of will have a 7mm extension ring built in.:).

Real Name
Steve
I bought the 4/3 9-18 in error but decided to keep it as I thought it performed better than my Canon 17-40 L lens, it came with a Chinese adaptor which wasn't great, I then bought an Oly MMF-3 for a bargain price (£70). I use it with my EM10/2 and EM5/2 primarily for landscapes and indoor stuff. It's a great lens and I have no need for any other. The auto focus is a little slow. It's great for sunsets and lens flare is seldom, although I did get some in this shot.

P5030013a v 2k.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom