FOUR THIRDS ADAPTER

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by panonski, Apr 5, 2015.

1. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    I have one or two ( maybe silly :) ) questions...

as I'm considering to buy one lens from Four Third system, I know that I must have a proper adapter for my mount.
    If I'm not wrong only the EM-1 can use this lens without adapter in MIcro Four Third System .

So, the question is... Which adapter to buy, I see several of them with different names and numbers, and other question is ..

Does adapter changes the focal length of the lens which is mount on ?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    No silly questions, only silly people afraid to ask.

You need an Olympus MMF-2 or MMF-3. The -3 is water sealed and costs a bit more. These allow any 43 lens to mount on any m43 camera with both AE and AF. There are no optics in the adapters and therefore no change to the lens' spec.

While any m43 camera can use them, only the E-M1 is designed to AF quickly with them, as it is the only m43 camera with phase detection AF. Other m43 cameras will AF using contrast detection but may take longer than you would expect.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Sorry Panonski, you're entirely misinformed : E-M1 still needs the adapter.
    With any of the three or more versions of a 4/3rds to m4/3rds adapter : almost all m4/3rds bodies will autofocus with 4/3rds lenses.
    The E-M1 has an additional ability to use phase-detect autofocus with some 4/3rds lenses which ostensibly speeds them up.

I own a Panasonic and another Chinese adapter : both seem to work the same.

• Like Like x 1
  4. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Ok, Thank you for your kind answers, I guess I was wrong about the EM-1 because I red something about it, but it was mention only for AF, because of phase detection.

I'm considering to buy OLYMPUS : ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 SWD for my PEN 5.

About the focal length... No optics are in the adapter, but no change of focal length either... But I think there is no changes because of the fact the four third have the longest distance between sensor and lens, and microfour system have the space for adapter, and after mounting it on, there is no any changes between the lengths .... right? :)

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    The 12-60 is a very fine lens....but its not small and its not that light in weight. I just now put it on my E-P1 and its not that balanced....even on an E-M1 I would think twice before using it

Just my opinion/experience

K

P4050022.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    That looks like a clear case of the tail wagging the dog. I've got the equally massive 14-54 and even on the larger EM5 it feels unbalanced. I try to support the camera and lens together, rather than the camera alone with such a large mass cantilevered from the mount.

7. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Hm... to me, all micro four bodies are small in compete with some serious lens you can attached on them.

I think there is not much difference when you use newest PRO ZOOM 2.8 and this lens with adapter, cause the size are similar.

I have not much money to spend on expensive lens, and I'm consider what is the best buy, to fit my needs.

Besides that, I love hold the camera with lens in my hand. Unbalanced, maybe... but not necessarily in my way of holding it.

I would love ZOOM, but as I said, I will rather sacrifice the easy of use, then quality. From reviews I found, I believe it's a good buy.

;)

8. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Correct. Again, with an adaptor, you will still have exactly the same lens with exactly the same spec. Focusing will work, but likely be slow.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The 4/3 lenses are some of the best money to IQ deals you can find. Maybe a little bigger than µ4/3 stuff, but the quality (especially from the SHG and HG stuff) is wonderful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yes exactly right.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    panonski, its the AF on the e-m1 that is superior for 4/3 lenses. physically you still need an adapter to make the 4/3 mount fit a m43 camera. works very well though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    AF on the older 4/3 lenses is VERY slow on all u43 bodies except for the E-M1. The 12-60 is a superb lens though, so as long as you're OK with slow AF or manual focus, you'll get a lot of IQ for the money.

• Like Like x 1
  13. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Many of the 4/3 lenses were made to work with PDAF, meaning that the back-and-forth focusing of CDAF systems is slower to focus with them because the 4/3 lenses' motors aren't made to rapidly go back-and-forth. There were, however, a number of lenses designed to work with CDAF which work perfectly fine and reasonably quickly on µ4/3:

Olympus 25mm f/2.8
    Olympus 9-18mm f/4-5.6
    Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 ii
    Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6
    Olympus 70-300mm f/4-5.6
    Panasonic 25mm f/1.4

If you're mounting to a Pen, then you'd do better to forego the 12-60 and buy the 14-54ii which works very well on all µ4/3 bodies.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I'm using the 14-54 with MMF-3 on an E-M10, and I've found the 3rd party FotoDiox fitted external grip (less than $30 USD via Amazon) to be really useful in making that lens/body combination much more stable. And strangely enough, the image quality of the lens on the E-M10 is even better than it was on the E-30! And its quality has ALWAYS been good IMO. Auto-focus IS slower on m43s than it was on the E-30, but quite acceptable for the majority of the photos I take. Furthermore, the manual focus capabilities of the E-M10 also make manual focus very do-able with this lens.

I am very pleased with the combination, overall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I use nothing but 4/3 lenses with my E-M1 and I don't find any of them unbalanced in use. I do have the RRS plate which gives me a little more grip and provides a significant benefit to the handling.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    My $0.02 cents on this here:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/68705/

I switch back and forth between the P12-35 f2.8 and the 14-35 SWD f2.0. They are at opposite ends of the size spectrum. Personally I think if you are considering the 12-40 then the 12-60 has to be worth a look.

• Like Like x 1
  17. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Hey Larry, can you give me some feed back about the autofocus difference between 14-54 and 12-60 .... Cause, I would rather use 12-60, if the Autofocus isn't slow...And Slow I mean, slow. Not a litlle bit slower, but slow.

:)

18. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I use the 12-60 on my E-M1 all the time, and it's fast to focus. So fast that I almost never worry about how fast it actually is, I just take the picture. I can't compare to the 14-54, but it's not significantly slower than any of my m4/3 lenses. The 12-60 is a great lens, reasonably fast, very sharp, and has a nice working focal length range, and it's water resistant.

You'll probably want the MMF-3 adapter, since that keeps the water resistance of the whole kit intact.

19. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Hm.... I was meaning the difference on some other body then EM-1 ...Cause EM-1 have the Phase Detect, and Contrast AF, both as well,

but other microfour thirds bodies has just Contrast Detect, and some post above was mantioned that 12-60 is designed only for Phase Detect, and if you put it on the EM_1, there is no differnce, but on other bodies, the AF is slower then on the EM-1 or older 4/3 bodies...

20. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    So, it depends ;-).

The 12-60 is very fast on the E-M1. It is quite slow on any other m43 body.

With the 14-54 it depends. The Mk1 works OK with the E-M1 but the focus speed is not great, not up to the speed of the 12-60 or any native lens. The Mk2 is not a whole lot faster than the Mk1 on the E-M1 but is significantly faster than either the Mk1 or the 12-60 on a non E-M1 body.

So -

14-54 Mk1 - PDAF only slow on all bodies.

14-54 Mk2 - CDAF optimised decent on non PDAF m43 bodies (ie anything other than the E-M1), not fast on the E-M1.

12-60 SWD - PDAF only - fast and accurate on the E-M1, usable but not great on all other m43 bodies.

I used the 14-54II on the E-M5 and was quite pleased. The 12-60 is a great lens on the E-M1.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 2