1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Four New Rokinon/Samyang Lenses for Micro Four Thirds

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by madogvelkor, Mar 21, 2014.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    • Like Like x 9
  2. penWS

penWS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2013
    New Zealand
    The 10mm f/2.8 is a nice addition and I might consider getting one. The 12mm f/2.0 is interesting, it is the equivalent of the Olympus version minus the auto focus of course, and at half the price. It will be interesting to compare the image quality, if this is as good as the 7.5mm fisheye the Oly has a real competitor!

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    if you follow that link, the 12 2.0 is the cheapest only asking for 399, pre-order though.

dpreview has detailed specs for the 12 2.0 http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/0...ource=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

and the 10 2.8 http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/1...related-news&utm_medium=text&ref=related-news

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If the 10mm f2.8 were an 8mm f2.8, then I'd be putting my pre-order in now... but at 10mm, it's not significantly wider than 12mm options. Looks like the 9-18 will be with me for a while longer.

5. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I'd like to get the 10mm in a dSLR mount and then put a Kipon shift adapter on it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Question is how big are these lenses? If the 10mm was an 8mm I would be looking into it seriously. As it is I can just put a adapter on the P14 and turn it into a 11mm.

7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    To me these are "hybrid" lenses, not really native, since they are designed for a larger sensor. It defeats my purpose to keep my kit small.

I want native ultra wide lenses.

Though as a former medium/large format photographer who loved shift/tilt for architectural shots Mike Aubrey's suggestion above is interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    The 10 mm would have been perfect for my Canon APS DLSR body...
    A really native 10 mm would have been interesting... or better, a native 8 mm.
    I'm not a great fan of APS lenses on m43 as I chose m43 for its compactness.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

APS is what the 10mm was designed for and so yea it is perfect on it.

Not excited about these lenses for m4/3 although I plan on getting a 10mm for Nikon. SamYang lenses are well made and very good optically. I have read rumors that they are working on more true native mirrorless lenses for NEX and m4/3 and also that they will be coming out with AF lenses soon too. Let's hope the first AF lens they come out with is for m4/3!

10. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Yeah, it's a shame that they're really designed for SLRs. That forces them to be strongly retrofocus lenses, which makes them bigger, heavier and more expensive than if they were designed for mirrorless. No filters on the 10mm also. :frown:

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I am interested in a normal prime. But 24mm 1.4 manual focus lens for $549 when Panaleica 25mm 1.4 is being sold for $530 new ... are they serious?

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes. It's a full-frame lens, designed for full-frame DSLRs. So it competes with the Canon 24/1.4 and the Nikon 24/1.4. In that context it's dirt cheap. Why they chose to offer it also in a m4/3 mount I can't say. They must have done the financial calculations and decided it was worth it.

14. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It seems like they've adopted a policy of producing a version of their lenses in nearly every mount.

The cine versions make more sense -- for people shooting video the 24mm T1.5 could be more attractive than either the Panasonic or Olympus.

15. speedandstyle

I didn't pay it much attention yesterday when it was announced as the other 3 "converted" lenses overshadowed it BUT the 12mm is a mirrorless only lens like the 7.5mm FE. Although it is designed for APS mirrorless as well as m4/3 it still is smaller and lighter than the "converted" types. It is cheaper than the Olympus 12mm and black{the 12mm black was a limited run that is hard to find and adds to the price}. So after waiting all this time for the 10mm for Nikon I find the 12mm for m4/3 may actually make me more excited!

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Good points! Plus it has 3 ED and 2 ASPH elements and takes filters.

17. speedandstyle

You are right it has a 67mm filter thread! Great news for doing long exposures in bright light - waterfalls/seashores anyone?

18. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The 12mm was designed for mirrorless so its smallish. The others were designed for ASP-C so they are quite big. For example, the 12mm is 2.85x2.28" and weighs 8.99oz while the 10mm is 3.39x4.09" and weighs 1.36 lbs. If the 12mm has good IQ I'll be very interested, the others are probably too big for my taste.

19. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Thanks for pointing that out about the dimensions. Honestly if I wanted a 12mm f/2 I would just grab the Oly 12mm over this. Only really appealing lens (to me anyways) is the 10mm F2.8 and even then it just isn't quite wide enough. I would deal with the size/weight if it were a 8mm f2.8.... Still waiting for anyone/someone to make a rectilinear 8mm f2.8 lens native on M43. If I were really desperate for a fast UWA lens with no regard for size/weight at present I would grab an adapter and a Tokina 7-14mm 2.8 lens. Good thing Im not so Im waiting :)

The Oly 9-18mm seems to be a decent compromise I suppose right now if your after a native mount M43 UWA lens. Even the new Oly UWA 2.8 lens coming kind of blew it with no filters being attachable not to mention the scary price tag that will accompany it.

20. speedandstyle

In looking at the pictures it looks like the 12mm main body is about the same diameter as the fisheye but slightly longer and the end flares out a bit{I assume so filters could be fitted or maybe just because of the larger front element or maybe both}. The weight is only slightly more than the FE so it is a good match for m4/3.

It also has a fairly short close focus distance of just under 8 inches. I find I use wides in two ways. The first is a traditional landscape/architecture mode getting a nice wide view. And the second is close up on a small to medium sized subject. The close up method often is very distorted but it is tons of fun and can give some good background blur.

I am very tempted to pre-order one.