1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Four Mac devices, delete pic from one deletes from all.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dave in Wales, May 19, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    This is driving me nuts.
    I/we have two iPhones and two iPads on one Apple ID and one iCloud account.

Pictures taken by or transfered to any single device are added to ALL devices.

If I want to delete a pic from a single device I cannot, it gets deleted from ALL devices.

How can I delete a pic from 1/2/3 devices and leave it on the 4th device.

Now to complicate matters I have just bought a Macbook Pro, do I use my existing Apple ID, iCloud account or cfeate a new ones so I don't get the same problem.
    The Macbook is intended for my serious photographic stuff.

TIA
    Dave

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    My guess is you're using Photo Stream and have it enabled on all of your devices which is why adding or deleting will affect all of the devices.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  3. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Thanks for that.
    So if I turn off 'My Photo Stream' on all devices will isolate each device for adding/deleting pictures.

What I realy want is to isolate each device for pics, but how.

4. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Copies of pictures taken with your iPhone get pushed to Photostream, which by default keeps your 1000 most recent shots in the cloud, making those 1000 shots accessible by all your Apple devices. If you want to keep some locally on one device but not another, you must move them off Photostream to an album before the pictures fall off or are removed from the stream. Hope that helps.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. RKStarr

RKStarr Mu-43 Regular

It is absolutely maddening. Complaints about this feature seem rare, so I must not be using it as intended. Some sort of tutorial would be useful.

As far as I can understand, images are synced between all connected devices, as you've pointed out. Since my phone takes most of my pictures and my ipad is best for processing, I appreciate the sync feature. But since my phone memory is small (I won't make that mistake again) and my ipad memory is large, I delete images from my phone to keep room available, only to have those images deleted from my ipad where they were awaiting processing or other use.

There seems to be no way to differentiate between deleting from device or deleting from our tribe of devices. So instead of using the icloud I upload the keepers from the phone to another cloud service, although this deprives me of the opportunity to view them on the larger ipad display.

6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Turn off Photo Stream. I personally have 6 Apple devices (2x 27" iMac, 13" MacBook Air, Mac Mini, iPad and iPhone 6 Plus). All of the devices have Photo Stream turned off as it would drive me nuts since each device is used for a certain purpose and I have no need to share with my other devices.

However, if you would like to be able to selectively share (not automatically), you can use the Shared Photo Stream feature. It's also nice that you can have "shared groups", so that you could setup a couple of devices as a group and share to that group.

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Only if you have My Photo Stream turned on. As an example, on my iPhone 6 Plus, I have "iCloud Photo Library", "My Photo Stream" and "iCloud Photo Sharing" all turned off. I use my iPhone to take casual snaps all day and I would not want all of those to get automatically dumped to the cloud.

When I'm at home, I can easily selectively dump the photos I want to keep onto my home server and delete what I don't want off of my phone.

8. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Would I be better advised to open a new additional Apple I/D for the new Macbook?

9. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I'm a big fan of Dropbox and will use it to share various files amongst my devices. It works seamlessly throughout all of my Apple devices as well as Windows users if I need to share. So if you snapped a pic with your phone and want to edit on your iPad, just upload the image to Dropbox. Within Dropbox, you can view all of your images. Select which one you want to edit and download it, edit it and upload again if you wish.

Throughout the years, I've been able to acquire 60GB of Dropbox space for free thru various promotions which is plenty for my needs. Also, Google Drive gives away 15GB and then there's Box, Skydrive, etc.. They all work pretty much the same way and I use them all. I use iCloud, but only for documents created from Apple apps (i.e. Pages) due to the paltry 5GB that they give you for free. Also for writing, it does make sense to have it available on all of my devices and in sync. With photos, I'm not working with the same apps on all of my devices so there's no reason for me to have it all in sync.

Anyways, I have various photo folders setup within Dropbox labeled as "SOOC iPhone", "SOOC E-M5 II", "SOOC X100T, "iPad Edit", "iPhone Edit", "Final", "LR Workflow", etc... This way you can organize your photos so you know what's what and where it's been edited and whether it's a finished image or not.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    It depends on whether you want to consolidate all of your devices under one account or not. For me, I have my home devices (two iMacs and Mac Mini) and my mobile devices (MacBook Air, iPad and iPhone). That's how I group them.

I'd still advise to keep Photo Stream off unless you're an image hoarder who never deletes.

11. RKStarr

RKStarr Mu-43 Regular

Thank you for explaining your technique. That makes a lot of sense. I have DB, Google Drive, Onedrive accounts but in the exact opposite of your case they are primarily for my docs and spreadsheets. Once you explained your folder scheme and workflow, it became much clearer how, when, and on which devices I should distribute camera output. I would still like to cull images from the ipad (air 2 gorgeous screen!) but now based on what you've said, a manageable workflow seems achieveable. I have never found the PC iCloud connection useful, so that simplifies things in my case from the start. Thank you again.

12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    You're welcome. Also, since you love the screen of the iPad (who doesn't?), you can put your iPad Air 2 to greater use at home by using it as a second monitor. There's an iPad app called Duet Display that works wonderfully with your Mac/PC by using your standard lightning charge cable to feed a signal to the iPad. And because the lightning cable is powering your iPad as well, no issues with batteries draining.

I used to use Air Display to use my iPad as monitor but can attest that Duet Display is a much better solution with almost no lag. It's a bit pricey for an iOS app at $15, but it's well worth it.

http://www.duetdisplay.com

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  13. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I think you might be overthinking this a bit, the photostream only holds the last 1000 shots you have taken, and then only for 30 days, which should be plenty to sync across your devices. Anything you want to keep on a given device should be copied to a local album on that device (unless that device was used to take the photo in the first place).

For more info:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201317

• Agree Agree x 1