1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Found the perfect walk around...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ahuyevshi, Mar 4, 2010.

1. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Found the perfect walk around...Updated

So I would have to say my #1 nitpick with m4/3 is also one of its best features.. For different reasons of course... For reach 2x multiplier rocks! right??? I just got a 200mm 2.8 for 180 bucks... However for a street shooter 2x sucks with a good 50mm offering...

I'm not a fan of the 20 1.7 (will actually be selling my copy today) on the EP-2 because of AF.. On the GF1 it rocked! And 40mm is just a little short of what I would want in a walk around... I love my 15mm but even wide open too much is in focus.. However for Landscapes I am using it more and more...

My 2 newest lenses... the 50 1.1 and 35 1.2 are phenomenal... DoF is razor thin... For low light and portraiture they are perfect.. Way too heavy for a walk around and minimum focus is a little too long for all around use... Don't get me wrong... I absolutely Love them... Just the hundred or so shots I have taken with them have impressed the hell out of me...

This was last night... Wide open I want to say with the 50 as I was swapping them both out...

4406192632_10f1240fa9_b.

Well... While I was at Adorama I tried the Voigtlander 28 F/2... OMG... 56 is a bit long for a WA.. However the dozen or so shots I took on the way back to the office impressed the hell out of me... Already having a hard time choosing a PaD entry from the 12 shots... Will post later as I don't have a card reader in the office... But Wow... It's as light as the 15mm... Same tab focusing. Has Focus markings for aperture settings... Wow. Absolutely wow... I know this post is useless without pics, so I will add them tonight... :2thumbs:

samples

4408041336_15c4b726ac_b.

4407340237_2c42387040_b.

4407340939_9598f7469a_b.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    So I get a slight impression your happy....
    Good!

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i have the 28 1.8 its my normal lens , i hate the focus by wire of af lenses , its the single worst thing about m4\3 , nikon af lenses feel like real lenses when using manual focus , but oly and pannys feel like and work like cheap plastic toys

4. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Lol.. You can say that again.... The best part I sold 2 of my redundant canon lenses, and an old 5D that I used only for personal stuff. Bought 3 Voigtlander lenses and still have almost 2500 left from the sale :)

5. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Exactly.... I played with the 28 1.8 Canon, and I liked it... but I wanted something smaller... And I figure more than likely I will be adding an M8 to my stable as soon as they drop below 2k... I never thought I would be into street shooting or range finders... I picked up a Bessa R3M used last week, but I don't know if I will be keeping it.. I developed 2 rolls already, Need to buy a scanner... My apt is tiny... not sure I want to deal with film...

6. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I have fond memories of film development...... but that's all.
    No way I would go back to the mess and time consumption.

7. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Lol... Yep... If I keep it I'm going to just use a lab to develop and scan... 8 bucks a roll isn't horrible..

8. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    The next generation

This is off the original topic, but about shooting film. Don’t know if this is a trend or just a blip, but my 16 year old son is very intrigued by my M3 and just last week a good friend of his came over to go out shooting with him, and brought his new (used) Mamaya 645. I may have to set my darkroom up again.:rolleyes:

9. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Either set the darkroom up or get him a Pen1. If he's gonna do film...not much better than an M3.......
    Your a good father to let him use the Leica...
    My respect to you....
    shooter

10. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Pen1 will not beat the Mamiya 645... Medium Format is king!!! ;)

It isn't really a blip, a lot of people are still shooting film... If I had the room I would definitely shoot more film.. I have a lomo LC-A RL, Lubitel 166, Kiev 4 and the Mamiya 645 and Bessa R3m... I shoot the LC-A a lot.. Lubitel and Mamiya every so often.... Now if I could convince myself I need 25K digital back I would only shoot the Mamiya.

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    nikon 24/2 and om24/2 are also worth looking at as walk around lenses... affordable, fastish and optically fine
    K

12. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Alan, my daughter has my OM-1 down at college...and is bringing home her rolls of film. As much as I used to love film, I hope she'll go digital.

I intend to show her this website and in particular some of the "street shooting" photos because I think that might be her thing. Pen 1 for graduation maybe - in 2011.:wink:

By the way, keep up the good work ahuveyshi. I also enjoy reading about the different lenses you, Don, Kevin and cosinaphile and others like to use, as well.

13. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    My friend, it's not about what other cameras/formats can do...we all know that..it's about what we can do in this format.....with these cameras....

14. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Totally agree. I think in my case I'm better with film

15. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    That just means 2 things...
    1 lack of commitment to the format, just testing the waters, so to speak
    2. not enough time dedicated to get the camera to see the way you want....

other than that, it shouldn't make a difference...a camera is a camera....

16. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Oh I'm committed alright or should be :)

17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Even the 35/1.2 is too heavy for a walk around?

18. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'll hold a seat for ya in my room......

19. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Not heavy at all well more than l would like . Actually balances very well they both do. The focal lengths are too long with the 2x crop

20. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Updated with samples